Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 39s
Overall Rank = 51/362
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4am ate drove to Madison
Event warmup:

Quick ride and run, didn't have time to warm up swim.
Swim
  • 14m 10s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lots of waves and chop which is good for me. I like it rough having come from a surf livesaving background. Started out the left hand side in the front row, to me looked like the shortest route to the first buoy. I was in the second wave men under 40. Had a really amazing swim out to the first buoy hit the buoy with only about 4 swimmers in front of me. Never got touched once. I like this swimming at the front as opposed to getting beaten up in the middle of the pack.

Conciously dialled it down a bit at the first buoy it was rough with 2-3 foot swells which mean't I was only breathing on my strong side. Dropped quiet a few places in the swim to the second buoy but I was swimming comfortably and felt great.

Half way through the swim I got stuck behind a huge guy I suspect was a Clyde. Thought I would draft off him but he was swimming too slowly I just couldn't get past him he kept zig zagging across me. I tossed around in my head do I try and run over this guy. Decided against it and just drafted him into the shore concentrated on long arm strokes and bilateral breathing.

What would you do differently?:

This was a good swim for me, second race in a row I have gone under 1.40 100 yds. Dare I say it Swimming is no longer the limiting factor for me. Maybe I shouldn't have dialled it off at the first buoy, but I felt great getting out of the water best ever was hardly breathing and more importantly swallowed no water and in those conditions quiet an achievement.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

30th fastest transition. I always do well in T1. Not sure why!!!

Nada!
Bike
  • 40m 10s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok Rode the new P2C and hadn't ridden the course before hand, probably not the smartest move. I found the first 6 miles or so frustrating I passed quiet a few people but no one in my AG and got passed by 1 in my AG. Found on the rolling hills I was often in the wrong gear and was peddaling up hills in the big chain ring. The last 6 miles or so were great mainly flat and downhill where I really hammered it on the bike.

Ride the course, taper my legs were tired, get more fluid in on the bike only drunk half a bottle on the bike as found it difficult on the tri bike to drink.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

94th fastest transition that is not very good.

Just need to practice..
Run
  • 21m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Charged off the bike ran the first half to the turn around point really hard. I was really starting to overheat due to lack of water on the bike. It was hot and humid and no shade on the course. 2nd half I definitely slowed up. I passed a lot of people on the run and got passed by one guy only. Looks like a slow run time which makes me think the course was long. I had the fastest run split for my team and we all run somewhere around 6.45min miles for this distance.

Run continues to be my strength. Would have been nice to push on in the second half of the run. But all in all a good run split.
Post race
Warm down:

Clapped in teammates and stretched a little

What limited your ability to perform faster:

New bike getting used to it especially the gearing 8-)

Not ridding the course before hand would have helped

Lack of fluid on the bike.

No taper, this was a C race for me not sure why but when I don't taper it is always on the bike I feel tired doesn't seem to impact my run as much.

Probably didn't push myself hard enough as I didn't hurt at all the next day.

Event comments:

Best Volunteers I have seen at a race...

Last updated: 2007-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:10 | 880 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/31
Overall: 88/362
Performance: Good
Suit: IM Instinct Full length
Course: Apex Course in Long Island Sound
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:10 | 13 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/31
Overall: 73/362
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop typical rolling hilled New England Country side.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:21:50 | 03.1 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 42/362
Course: Out and back along the beach
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 8:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Dave Parcells Madison Triathlon

2007-09-10 8:49 AM
in reply to: #957755

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Subject: RE: Dave Parcells Madison Triathlon

Great race, especially considering no taper and a new bike too!  Glad the swim was "bump" free.  Way to go!!!

2007-09-10 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Sounds like you had a decent race.  Here's a few things to think about before the HIM:

You need to practice bike handling and drinking with the new tri bike.  You should be able to reach back (if your hydration is mounted behind the seat) or down to the cage without getting out of the aero position or swerving.  You just have to practice that, and you need to be able to do it at speed.  If you miss your hydration at the half you'll be in more than just a little trouble.

Gearing too, but you already know that.  Don't get caught up in the pride of pushing the big ring.  It's more important to spin a consistently high cadence in the correct gear than to impress the bystanders pushing the big ring up a hill and wasting your legs.  Again, this is a big one for the half, where you need to be conservative with your energy expenditure.

It won't help much at this race, but in the future you should do some negative split rides and runs.  Finishing strong in training helps you learn to do the same on race day.  That could be a matter of pacing too, especially at such a short race, but training will help.

Good race though, and good tune-up for the half.

2007-09-12 6:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

Dude, You're a machine out there! You like that damn energizer bunny... are you planning on ending your season at all or are you just going to start racing down south thru the winter!!!! Great race my man. Great swim and the bike will come to you shortly (still not a bad ride on your new bike). The run is just icing on the cake bud, you did a great job and you did what you wanted to do... 8th in your AG.

CONGRATS!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dave Parcells Madison Triathlon Rss Feed