General Discussion Race Reports! » Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
United States
Lancaster Family YMCA
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early (not that early since it was an 835 start). Had breakfast (cereal, bananas). Started to drive to the race. Got a ticket for failing to signal while merging (almost empty road). This annoyed me greatly (though I admit to being guilty as charged), took me out of my mindset, and made me late for set up. I threw all my stuff in the transition area together quickly, and got to the water just as the first wave was about to leave. I was second wave, so I had a little time.
Event warmup:

None, no time. Damn ticket.
Swim
  • 28m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before I get into my comments on this, I need to make note of something. All times listed in this race report are approximate (the time my girlfriend's watch gave). I wore my chip on top of my wetsuit in the ankle, and took it off so I could get the wetsuit off during T1. I forgot to put it back on until starting the run, so I clearly don't have T1/Bike/T2 times. Even the swim time seems off, as the official time they gave me is 25:22, but that feels wrong. I swam a strong leg (by my standards), faster than expected, but still a 25:22 is beyond my reach. The 28 my girlfriend had seems more accurate, especially because that was the time I was ideally shooting for, but didn't expect to get. Three minutes faster... no way. Anyway, onto my comments...

I got a good start, and got some clear water from most of the pack. This doesn't mean I was in front, I just navigated well enough to not have to deal with people for that long, though I did take a lot of punches in the process. The rest of my navigation wasn't great however, and I did more distance than I needed to. My stroke felt strong however, and I cruised the whole way, without ever pumping my HR up too high.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate better. Plus learn to swim faster beforehand.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

Slow T1. This is off my GF's watch again (approx). The official time was 1:47, but as I left T1 w/o a chip I don't know how they came up with that number. Also, I've been consistently around 4 minutes in my T1 in my last couple of races, and this one was no faster (probably slower).

Forgot to put my timing chip back on my ankle, wow I'm dumb.

Put my damn chip back on, oh ya, and change everything else to make it faster.
Bike
  • 1h 13m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I did poorly on the large hills at the beginning of all 3 of the loops. The rest went quite well, stayed in my aero position almost the whole time. Drank 3 24oz bottles of water in the process (lost one of them when I hit a bump somewhere along the course, but luckily I had already emptied it). Best bike leg I've had all season, really loving my new bike (2007 Cervelo Dual). Official time had me at 1:18:34, but as I wasn't wearing a timing chip at the beginning or end of the bike leg this time seems to have been conjured out of thin air. The 1:13 is the reading off my GF's watch, and is obviously not official.

Push harder, I never really left my comfort zone. Oh, and learn to corner.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Slow T2. Had to put my chip on, and rest didn't go that smoothly anyway. (approx time).
Run
  • 48m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

(This is an actual time, as I was wearing my chip again -- and corresponded well to the time my GF had me at for this leg).

I went into the run feeling strong off the bike. As I had done 20 flat in 5K legs of sprint tri's without trying, I was hoping to turn that into a low 40's time here. This was my first olympic and I clearly underestimated how much the first two legs would tire me. My heart just gave way after about a mile, and I was never able to keep nearly the pace I should have. It was brutal without shade, and opening on a large hill. I hadn't done any consecutive exercise for over two hours straight, so I was just not ready for this. I slowed my pace severely, and emptied the water stations.

Train for longer. I wasn't ready to exert myself in the sun for that long consecutively. Running is by far my strength, but my lack of training turned it into my weakness over this long a race. I just bonked completely.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough long distance training.

Event comments:

I loved the new distance, definitely preferable to the sprints I had been doing. Just was a chaotic day. The ticket through off my mindset completely, and then the forgotten chip was just stupid. Definitely coming back next year to best this time by a lot. Have to train to avoid that bonk.

My approx times listed above put my just over a minute above my actual time. That difference probably came from a shorter than guessed Bike/T2, but who knows.

Weird day.

Last updated: 2007-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back in a warm lake. No visibility within the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:00 | 24.8 miles | 20.38 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: One small loop, followed by two large loops. The small loop opens on a small incline and then hits a long, steep hill; after that it flattens out. The large loop had two large hills in it, a couple of smaller ones, and was then just rolling farmland.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:48:46 | 06.21 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly. Hot. No shade for first 4.5 miles, was just brutal.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 3:36 PM

Regular
Subject: Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon

2007-09-13 1:51 PM
in reply to: #958692

Subject: RE: Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon
That sinks about the ticket.

Great "unofficial" times! I did the race too & the hills hurt me too.

2007-09-14 8:29 PM
in reply to: #958692

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon
Nice job out there. Bummer about the chip issue but looks like you had a really nice race. Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed