Fall Frenzy Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 5s
Overall Rank = 2/7
Age Group = Co-Ed Relay
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Came home from (again) getting slammed at work the night before and getting about three hours of sleep. Thankfully I only have to run. Ate some cereal and a Clif bar. Planned on running at about 11:30 am, based on my wife's swim start time and estimated bike time.
Event warmup:

Stretched and jogged a bit.
Swim
  • 09m 12s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

My wife's swim. She's quite a bit faster than me (heh, I'm not jealous). In her words, it sucked. She felt really uncomfortable and didn't reach well. She also said the waves created in the pool made it hard to breathe.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

We put her shoes and socks outside of the pool exit, which made it easier for her to jog to T1. She has rheumatoid arthritis and it is a bit more difficult for her to run.
Bike
  • 46m 55s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

My wife's ride: Said she really enjoyed it and even passed some people. She just started riding a few months ago on a low end Allez. Still rides with running shoes too. She said she just went for it because she had nothing to lose. I was hoping for 16 mph ave so this was awesome for her! Plus, I think she really liked racing on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Wish all I had to do was grab a timing chip and go.
Run
  • 19m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

My run: Finally got to run at like 12:30 pm. Really screwed with my nutrition, hydration, special time in the metal closet, etc. as I thought I'd be running before lunch. So I was scrounging for bananas, etc. to get a bit more in me.

I was kind of worried about being the only one out there so I took off a bit fast but felt great. Hit the turnaround just under 10 minutes and still felt good but thought I was running faster than that. Passed quite a few people on the way and felt REALLY bad about it as I was flying by them. I repeatedly apologized, saying "Relay" and "Good job." I know how it feels to hurt on the run after S/B.
Anyway, I passed one guy who was running well and he stayed with me for a minute or so for the pacing. I had 19:30 on my watch at the finish. Official time was 19:21?
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was my 5k PR (since I've come back to running). Felt awesome!
Post race
Warm down:

Looked for my family. Jogged back to the transition and back and stretched a bit. Should have cooled down more.
Again, my wife missed my finish :) I snuck up on her as she was sitting and watching, waiting for me to finish the run. This is an ongoing thing as I tend to run a little faster than expected.

I am SO proud of my wife for doing this with me. She was a runner before being diagnosed with RA and it has taken some time for her to find new ways to workout. She is a great swimmer but doesn't necessarily enjoy it. The bike I just introduced to her this summer and through a lot of initial dropped chains and flats, she's come through great. I hope to get her in some Aquabikes next year, as well as more relays.

And we took 2nd in the division with just two racers! Sweet!

Event comments:

The swim was very trying. They need to take a page from Highlands Ranch's book and organize the swim heats by lane, starting time, etc.

Other than that, this really was a very good tri. Volunteers were awesome, lots of drinks, and a nice grassy transition area.

Unfortunately, the swim makes the first impression and it was very frustrating. They may also need to have a few packet pickups as the lines were very long on Saturday .

Last updated: 2007-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:12 | 500 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 0/7
Performance:
Actual swim time: 8:40
Suit:
Course: Pool swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:55 | 13 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Performance:
Wind:
Course: A sort of out and backer with rollers. We rode it the weekend before.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:30 | 03.1 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Performance: Good
Turnaround @ 9:58.
Course: Out and back with slight rollers and a bit of a hill at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes