General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Barbara Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Santa Barbara Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Barbara, California
United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 15m 34s
Overall Rank = 505/752
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 19/27
Pre-race routine:

We drove up Friday night and were staying at the Cabrillo Inn, literally right across the street from transition. This was my first time doing this race, it was nice to be so close and not have to worry about race morning transport.

This race is "almost" a half, but I didn't really train like I trained for my HIMs earlier in the year, so I resigned myself to just try to enjoy the course. My wife was swimming a relay, so she was up early with me for Saturday checkin.
Event warmup:

Not much, just a few hundred yards in the water--- which was COOOOLD. About 62
Swim
  • 26m 39s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a decent swim. I started outside left and ended up rounding the first buoy a little far outside. The group was pretty tight after the first buoy, and I found mself fighting with a couple guys. At one point, I was jostling with another guy, and as I pulled ahead my arm came back and I felt teeth and maybe a beard. I fully expected to find a cut finger after the swim. But the guy backed off :)

It was a slalom course as we came upon earlier waves, but that just helsp me sight better. I was passed by one guy in the previous wave at the turnaround, he was absolutely flying, think he was a relay swimmer. No way to catch a draft.

Coming back is basically due east, into the sunrise. All I could do was follow the people ahead of me and monitor the buoys on the out section to judge my line. Turn buoy came into view eventually and headed for the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Not much
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

My transitions this year have just been generally slow all around, like I'm in no hurry to get out of there.

gitty up
Bike
  • 1h 56m 9s
  • 34.6 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

This is one deceptively cruel course. There's basically three hill sets. This year there was a detour which added distance to the final hill. For some reason, I thought the hard hill was the middle hill. Turns out I was wrong.

We made our way up the first climb to Toro Canyon, a screaming downhill. Then a flat section for about 9 miles, then the second climb. I was saving myself for that climb, and when I crested it I thought, "no big deal," and began to hammer some.

Now, it's not like I didn't come down the third hill, so I can't claim ignorance. But that last climb is a slog. Legs started cramping near the top, and I limped in to T2 with tired legs.

Unfortunately, the course is not closed to cars. Some intersections are patrolled, but I saw (and experienced) a couple close calls.

Pay attention when friends describe the course
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

see above
Run
  • 1h 47m 10s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The run, like the bike, is also deceptively cruel, but it gets easier as it goes.

It began flat along the ocean, and in the first mile, I was still cramping in my thighs. Uh oh, but I pretty much know that if I work through it they'll go away. I also started on salt pills every aid station.

About 2 miles in it starts to climb into Santa Barbara residential streets, and climbs steadily for a couple miles, then into rollers, then into a Wildflower Pit-like turnaround. They run us down a steep road, and then, at some randomn spot which isn't even the 5 mile mark, we turn around and go back up it. I did walk about 75% of this hill.

From the top of the hill, however, it starts to get easier as it goes more or less downhill.

As usual, I got passed a ton, and basically felt like I was going nowhere, but I savor the little victories, and here it was that I negative-split the run and did a couple 9:30 miles on the way back.

They had aid stations every mile, so I thought I'd use it as early IM training, walking the aid stations. That makes the monotony of running go by much quicker. Anyone can go one mile, right?

It's a really beautiful run course, and I didn't mind being a little slower so I could enjoy the view.

same as always, more running, less weight
Post race
Warm down:

Actually, a cool down, went down to the ocean and stood in the 62 degree water for about 20 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hadn't trained like I should have.

Event comments:

This was a great, local, small race. It's got a small town feel to it, but with some very fast competitors. Now that I know the course, I'd like to come back and kick it's ass.

My goal was 4:00. I went 4:15. I can't really complain about that. Typi9cal placings for me. FOP in the swim, MOP bike, and BOP run. Train those limiters.

Last updated: 2007-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:39 | 1760 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 69/752
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: West along the beach for about .5 mile to turnaround
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:36
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:56:09 | 34.6 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/27
Overall: 448/752
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:47:10 | 10 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/27
Overall: 631/752
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-12 5:35 PM

User image

Subject: Santa Barbara Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Barbara Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed