The Running Foundation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 16s
Overall Rank = 39/119
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Drove up-to the race, picked up our numbers, and then hung out with some friends of ours for awhile. Hit the bathroom multiple times.
Event warmup:

Did about a mile of light jogging followed by a few drills and a few pickups.
Run
  • 45m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

They called us to the line about ten minutes before the race. Brandy was doing the 5k and wanted to start towards the back. Figured I would hang out with her for awhile and make my way towards the front before the gun went off. Next thing I know, I hear "runners set, ..." So much for making it near the front. Hopped over to the grass and thankfully had a pretty easy time of finding some running room.

Did the first mile in 6:45--way too fast. Took my time at the first aid station and then settled into a nice pace. Got humbled about a half mile from the turnaround when a guy pushing a jogging stroller passed me on an uphill. Made it my personal mission to pass him back. Hit the turn around in 22:40. Knew I was on pace for a PR and that I had a chance to break 45:00.

Run back in was pretty uneventful. Took water at every aid station and tried to stay in the shade as much as possible. Hit the one mile to go marker and the watch read 38:00. Gave it everything I had left in an attempt to break 45:00 but came up a bit short. Did manage to pass the jogging stroller with about a quarter mile to go--a good thing to, that was difference between third in the age group and fourth in the age group.
What would you do differently?:

A few minor things. Line up closer to the front. Not go out quite so hard in the first mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Brandy (who set a PR in the 5k--and took third in her age group) and walked around a bit. Grabbed some water and a banana while waiting for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Didn't taper at all for this race and still set a PR by about 3 minutes.

Event comments:

A low key race, but VERY well run (on time, organized, lots of volunteers). Would definately consider doing it again.

Last updated: 2007-08-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:16 | 06.21 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 39/119
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along Hines Drive. Mostly flat course with a few minor rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-13 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Run Like The Wind 10K

2007-09-20 8:05 AM
in reply to: #963071

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Run Like The Wind 10K

Wow great race!

I can't fathom doing a sub 7:00 mile at the start of a race and having anything more to run the race with.  Great job.

2007-09-20 9:17 AM
in reply to: #963071

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Run Like The Wind 10K
PR by 3 Min!!!  No taper, hardware for the family.  What a day!   I know what you mean about the jogger stroller.   Had a guy pass me in my 5k this year - I never saw him til the end.  I think he did sub 19:00
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run Like The Wind 10K Rss Feed