United States
Firstwave Events
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 10m 37s
Overall Rank = 174/817
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 54/146
Pre-race routine:

DW was visiting her uncle in Wisconsin, but my buddy BK agreed to jockstrap. We drove down to Santa Cruz at about 1:30PM. Traffic on the 17 was light so we made it to Depot Park, the location of the expo and transition area just a little before 3pm, the time for the pre-race meeting. As we walked up to the very small expo (aside from registration, maybe 6 booths), I see a woman in the registration line with a day glow pearl izumi cap. I walk over to her and inquire “Jessi?” and it’s her. We chit chat a bit in line as we go through registration. As we finish registration, puellasolis (Anne) from BT and her BF Steve join us. Shortly after that, rjl171 (Richard) from BT asks if we’re the BT group and joins us as well.

We hang around a bit waiting for the pre-race meeting (unknown to us, it was cancelled). At one point we talk about the water temperature, which is supposed to be about 60 degrees (according to one surf report web site, it was 51!). It’s also windy this afternoon, but it’s not supposed to be in the mornings. Before we take off, I ask BK to take a picture of us and see who is up for dinner. We make sure we have cell numbers and such and we go our separate ways.

BK and I scope out the rest of the expo since he’s looking for a wetsuit (he’s done his first tri, has his second this next weekend) and I’m always on the prowl for new gear and goodies. Once we make our way over to the Sports Basement booth, someone asks me if I’m enginerd and I affirm. It’s Atak Kat (Joel) from BT. We chit chat a bit, but he’s headed back to San Mateo for the night and is going to drive in early tomorrow morning when transition opens.

BK and I decided to head over to the boardwalk and beach area to get an idea of where the swim comes out and how the 0.2 mile run from the beach to transition is going to work and where the finish line is supposed to be. At first I thought I would do the jog to transition barefoot, but after checking it out, I decided I’ll stash some flip flops and jog in those. There is some hardpacked sand near the water so that’s where I plan to run during the finish.

As we’re walking toward the beach area, we notice that up one of the streets is the Econo Lodge where we’ll be staying – very convenient, only a couple blocks from the transition area! That sure worked out well.

BK and I check in to the Econo Lodge. Clearly, other triathletes are staying here since most every car has a bike rack or is a BMW or Prius (all staples in the bay area). The room is quite surprisingly large, more of a mini suite, but alas no coffee maker. I fear that my diurnal caffeinated libation will be forsaken tomorrow.

I prep my bike and my clothing and gear. BK and I just lounge around a talk a bit. It’s not too long before I need to figure out what to do for dinner. I’m thinking Italian is the most benign choice for a pre-race meal. I look through the phone book and decide on an innocuous sounding establishment called Ristorante Italiano. They claim to have received recognition as best food in some publication. I call Jessi to see if she’s game (and she in turn calls Anne) and Richard happens to call me at the same time. We all agree to meet at 6:30 at the restaurant.

The restaurant is close, but it’s packed. Our reservation was pushed to 6:45 so we have some time to chat before dinner. It’s also apparent that other race participants have chosen to dine here as well. Our table is called and we’re seated. Service for bread and drinks is speedy, but our entrees take a very long time (about an hour before we finally get them). I have the Pasta “Tutto Buono” (all that is good) as does BK. Richard had the lasagna. Jessi had a chicken pizza. I ate all of my pasta except the sausage and I feel stuffed.

It’s about 8:30 or so and we all head our separate ways. BK and I head over to Trader Joe’s so he can procure some vino and some cliff bars for breakfast, and I acquire some bottled dihydrogen monoxide. Back to the motel, set the alarms, schedule the wakeup calls, perform my nightly ablutions, and I’m asleep.

First alarm goes off at 4:25AM. I just lie there. BK’s alarm goes off at 4:30AM and we both get up. I eat a clif bar, peanut toffee buzz (caffeinated) since I don’t have any coffee. We pump up the tires on my bike, I change, pack up, and we head over to the transition area, which opens at 5AM. Another guy is heading out from the motel and we walk along with him. There are a few dozen people already here. I get a spot right by the bike exit. We see Jessi come in a bit later and say hi. I also say hi to a few others I know from the Y, from bike rides, and from the GGTC as they come in. I’m done setting up for now, so we head back to the room (it’s quite a luxury to be able to go back to the room so easily).

In the parking lot of the motel, a couple women on the search for coffee too and I told them I only knew about Starbucks in town, but didn’t know what was closer. They head off on their quest in their car. In the room, we just kick back and watch some B movie on cable. I have another bar, some water, go to the bathroom. I finish prepping my water and drinks. I grab my wetsuit and we head back to transition.

In transition, I suit up. Some guy comes along and asks whose bike is the one with the disk wheel. I respond. He asks if I have the pump adapter to pump up disks. I said I do. He asks if he can borrow it. I say yes as long as you bring it back (he doesn’t and doesn’t drop it off at any time before I left after the finish of the race. note to self, if someone asks to borrow something, make them bring their equipment over to use it rather than walking away with mine…). We head over to the beach since the pre-race talk takes place at 6:45AM.

At the beach, it’s a little chilly and overcast. We bump into Richard and a few others I know. Richard’s in the first wave, so he needs to line up pretty soon. Soon enough, the horn sounds and his wave is off. I have to go stash my sandals on the other side of the pier where the swim exit is. Many others have done this too. I also leave a small bottle of water with which to rinse my feet. I come back to the race start and it’s time to put in my earplugs, neoprene cap (the water’s cold!), and my red wave cap. I take a quick dip in the water (brrr!) and it’s time to line up for my start.

Event warmup:

No warmup for me, unless you call 30 second bit in the water a warmup.

Swim
  • 32m 43s
  • 2112 meters
  • 01m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

I’m in wave 4, M35-39 starting at 7:15AM. It’s a beach start. I line up on the left side (the outside since this is a clockwise swim around the pier), a few people back from the front. The announcer asks the crowd to help with the countdown…three…two…one…and the horn goes off. It’s a short run on the beach to the water. I run in the water until it’s about thigh high and then dolphin once and I’m off swimming. The water is cold, but I get used to it and am preoccupied with the swimming so it’s a non-issue. The swimmers sort themselves out quite quickly (the ocean is a big space!). I also think this is ain part due to the fact that there were only three buoys on the whole course so it was easy for everyone’s direction to be off. Being spread out also means I never found anyone to draft off of, but at several points, there was someone drafting off of me. In either case, I still managed to get kicked in the face at some point.

We reach the first buoy and aim for the second. Swimming was uneventful at this point and then it’s time to head for the third. After rounding the third, it’s back towards the beach on the other side of the pier. I momentarily join up and pass a small group of yellow caps. It’s not very clear to me where I need to swim (at the pre-race meeting, they did say aim for the lower part of the hotel) to on the beach so I follow the caps ahead. I’m a bit too far to the right, so I head to the left. As I’m getting closer to the beach, a couple grayish looking caps pass me quite handily. I see the path that’s laid out on the beach and the crowds so I head towards that. Soon enough, I’m out of the water.

Transition 1
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

I’m not exactly sure where the timing mat was, but on the way to transition, we have to run along the path laid out for us on the beach and up to the sidewalk.

Here, I have my sandals stashed and my bottle of water so I rinse my feet and put the sandals on. BK is there with his camera. It’s a 0.2 mile jog back to the transition area in Depot Park. The Swim In was not where I was expecting it so I briefly disoriented when I enter the transition area and don’t see my bike right there on the first rack. I realize I’m on the other side so I trot over to my stuff.

My wet suit doesn’t get caught so badly on my ankle, but I would later realize that although I had washed my feet at the sidewalk after the beach, my sandals picked up a lot of sand on the bottom which I transferred to my towel which transferred back to my feet. Not realizing this, I put on my socks and shoes, helmet, skip the gloves and arm warmers, and stash 2 bars and 2 gels into my pockets. I hear the time announced - 37 something. I’m out the bike exit and I hear the announcer call out my number and name.

Bike
  • 2h 42m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.70 mile/hr
Comments:

At the mount line, we have a small uphill. No problem. We wind around on surface streets within Santa Cruz and soon we’re on PCH. This was just a fun race for me so I didn’t bother to scope out the bike course, but was familiar with the first part on PCH from the Tour D’Organics Century I did here with DW two weeks ago. It’s overcast and wind is mild and would pretty much remain that way for the entire bike ride.

There are some rollers here which are a bit hillier than I had pictured in my mind by simply looking at the elevation charts. My legs felt strong and I felt like I was keeping up a decent pace and even passing some, so in retrospect, I was probably going too fast. I began to work on my hydration.

There was a mile marker at mile 10, which was good to know since I didn’t have a bike computer on my bike. There are some tricky railroad tracks to cross that are at a 30 degree angle to the road so you need to swing out and then cut over to cross them perpendicular to avoid getting caught up in them. The first aid station was at about mile 12. I swapped my water bottle for more water. This seemed like a good time to eat my first bar. I’m beginning to feel the pressure in my bladder.

I’m continue passing some and in turn am passed by some very fast riders, but I’m still feeling pretty good. We did get yelled at by someone in a pickup truck (why does it always seem like it is someone in a pickup truck?). The rollers seem to flatten out a little bit and at some point I begin to see riders on the return already. Soon enough, I see the Pigeon Point Lighthouse so I know the turnaround is not far off. The next aid station comes up and soon I’m on the return.

For the most part I’m still passing a few and continuing to be passed by the demons on wheels. At some point, I catch up to a pair of women who don’t seem to be shy about drafting (not that they were unique in this regard since there were quite a few who did). One is a bit larger, she has a wheelbuilder wheel cover on her rear wheel, and she’s strong on the uphills. We end up playing a little bit of back and forth – she passes me on the uphills and I pass on the down. The passing I’m doing of others is coming fewer and farther between and there are still speed demons from the M40+ group passing me every so often. I’ve continued with my hydration and nutrition and I do have to pee even more. I’m hoping I can hold it until I get back to transition.

There are a few scary car incidents on the ride. I’m passing some folks so I’m in road and not on the shoulder. A car on the opposite side decides to pass other cars (who are already pushed over to the middle because of the cyclists on the other side) and so that car is on the oncoming lane (i.e. in the lane I’m in, but coming head on). Kinda scary when a SUV comes within a few feet head on at 60+ mph.

The 30 degree railroad tracks need to be navigated and everyone slows for them. At this point, I take off and leave the wheelbuilder woman behind for good. Surprisingly, the rollers don’t seem so bad to me on the way back (I suspect I’ve slowed).

It’s nice to get back into town. I see on the some of the streets the 3 red arrow head markings which were the route markings for the century I did here a fortnight ago. I’m feeling like I put in a solid effort on the bike, but didn’t toast my legs. As I get close to the transition area, the crowds cheer us on. I reach the line and dismount.

Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

This occurred quickly and without incident. I load up with a bar and two espresso gels. I don’t see any bathrooms in the immediate vicinity so I forgo that and hope one shows up on the course soon.
Run
  • 1h 49m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I’m off. The very first bit takes us on the sidewalk on the same stretch I just biked down. It’s kinda funny because many of the spectators are facing towards the bikes and I’m running behind them. A few cheers along the way. I get to the path on W. Cliff Dr. and the view of the coast is great, but I have more pressing needs – there is still no sign of a bathroom. We get to where there is a park and some very large bushes. I see a couple guys dash over to the bushes and I know what they’re going to do so I run over there too and use the bush/makeshift urinal. Those guys finish up and I’m still peeing. I’m peeing for what feels like friggin’ two minutes because those guys are long gone and I see quite a few runners pass. I have to obey the laws of nature so I keep going until my bladder is empty and then I’m finally back on the course. Shortly thereafter, the first aid station comes up. I take some HEED.

The run along W. Cliff Dr. continues for awhile and we have to dodge the pedestrians. I pass a few and am passed by a few racers. My legs feel okay. They aren’t toasted, but they aren’t loosened up yet either and my stride is Frankenstein stiff. There are already runners on the return from the out and back. At some point I’m sure I must have seen Michellie Jones, but I didn’t know it was her at the time.

At some point, we turn away from the coast to wind around Natural Bridges Park. We cross some railroad tracks and head up towards PCH where I can see some of the bikers. There’s a bit of a hill here. We move onto some paths in Wilder Ranch State Park. At some point, someone calls out to me (it turned out to be Laurente). The paths have a few up and downs that feel much bigger than they really are given my level of fatigue/exertion.

There’s a guy pacing behind me. We comment how beautiful it is on the run. A volunteer tells me we’re one mile from the turnaround so that’s good. Soon, I see Richard on the return and I call out to him. He tells me I’m looking good. We return to the coastline and soon the big tiki idol in the path signifies the turnaround. I touch the tiki for good luck as I go around him and I’m finally on the return. Somewhere the pacer behind me dropped off.

Finally, my legs are feeling loose and my stride is feeling easier and more natural. On the return, I see folks from the GGTC, and the Y. I see Jessi, because she stands out because of her day glo pearl izumi cap. I see Richard ahead and at mile 8, I catch up to him. We exchange a few words and then I’m off. I pace behind someone in my AG. It’s seems a little windy so I figure I may as well take a little break. The truth of it is, I was feeling tired and his pace was as good as I could do while I’m drafting him. A volunteer tells us we’re almost there (we’re at about mile 10) and we both say that it sure doesn’t feel like we’re almost done! At some point he starts to slow, but I stick behind him. He starts to grab his hamstring and he begins to slow more. I pass him and wish him good luck.

So, I’m tired, but I know the finish is well within me so it becomes a question of both hanging on and seeing how many I can pass in this last 5K. I’m slowly reeling others in and many from my AG, so I’m feeling pretty good, although quite tired. I pace behind a 40+ guy and we pass a few folks together. I’m starting to feel spent so I’m having some of those WTF moments. We have a mile left and we’re in town and starting to wind down towards the beach. 40+ guy slows (relatively speaking that is) so I pass him at this point. Now we’re on the beach near the swim exit on the soft sand and have to grind it out to get to the packed sand closer to the water. I pass a couple who are struggling on the sand. We cut left to go towards and under the pier.

There is more running and dodging of beach visitors (almost had a collision with a young guy on a cell phone running around and not looking where he was going). It’s hard to tell where the finish is with all of the people on the beach. I see the flags and I see that we have to run back up onto the soft sand again to get to the finish. The sand is a tricky little twist here at the end of the race, but the end is so close so I’m pumping my legs and finish as strong as I can and try to look good for the finish line photographer. I turnaround and see the race clock and it’s at 5:25.

Swim: 32:43
Swim Rank: 58/146 AG, 250/817 OA

T1 (includes 0.2 mi run): 5:10.7

Bike: 2:42:18.7
Bike Rank: 68/146 AG, 224/817 OA

T2: 0:53.9

Run: 1:49:30.3
Run Rank: 51/146 AG, 185/817 OA

Final Time: 5:10:37
AG finish – 54/146
OA finish – 174/817

Wow. I was ecstatic with these results (even if I did miss top 1/3 in my AG. Geez I can’t wait to move up an AG next year where I can be one of the young guys in the bracket rather than one of the old guys). It’s more than a 30 minute PR over the only other ½ I’ve done (Wildflower, which of course is a much more difficult course). I have to admit that I was fairly casual about my training and had slacked off on my swimming and running since Vineman and hoped to coast a little on the fitness gains I had made for Vineman, which seemed to work out okay. I was also a lot less worried about whether or not I would finish as I was with Wildflower (my first half) and Vineman (my first full) so I was less conservative on this race and just went for it without worrying about it. Perhaps that’s a good lesson I’ve learned that came from the experience of the other two races.
Post race
Warm down:

I drink some water. I stretch. I grab a bagel with spinach spread (decide to pass on the burrito) at the food tent. I see BK there. We walk over to the finish. Not long afterward, Richard finishes up and we hang with him. Richard legs are sore. I ask him if he stretched. He hasn’t. He says he’s young. Ah, youth. :)

I go and grab some fruit. Steve, Jessi, and Anne finish up too as well as a bunch of the GGTC folks I know. It’s great to talk and hang out with everyone post race.

BK was so inspired by the whole event that he’s motivated to move up from sprints to Olys and hopefully an early half IM next year.

Last updated: 2007-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:43 | 2112 meters | 01m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 58/146
Overall: 250/817
Performance:
Suit:
Course: The swim course is a beach start and goes out and around the pier. After that, it’s a 0.2 mile run to T1.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:11
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:42:19 | 56 miles | 20.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 68/146
Overall: 224/817
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The bike course is an out and back course that first winds you through Santa Cruz and then takes you out onto PCH and features some rolling hills for the first stretch. The turnaround point is near Pigeon Point Lighthouse.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:49:30 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/146
Overall: 185/817
Performance:
Course: The run is an out and back course mostly flat run along the coastline on West Cliff Rd. over to some trails in Wilder Ranch State Park. The turnaround features a large tiki idol. The last half mile is on the beach in front of the Boardwalk.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-13 7:32 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: Big Kahuna Triathlon

2007-09-13 10:51 PM
in reply to: #964216

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: RE: Big Kahuna Triathlon
Awesome race report. Your memory is like a steel trap door, you remember all the details! Great job on a 30min pr. It was great meeting you and the others this weekend. We will have to meet up again for another tri or maybe a marathon.

Your modesty and great attitude towards the sport and others is very admirable. Good luck training for your next Ironman...
2007-09-14 12:32 AM

User image

Great Report and great race! That is a sweet bike by the way. How was the disc wheel on that course?
2007-09-14 11:54 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Richard - I had a great time meeting you and hanging out with you.  Yes, I hope we meet at another race (I'll be at IM Cal...).

runner76, yeah, it was a good day.  The disc wheel was great on that course and I'm not even very fast (given how many passed me that day).  I'm already hearing how I won't want to use it at Lanzarote next year though because it is so windy though.

2007-09-14 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Great job on the race, and report!  Love the P3C!  Sorry to have missed you bellow BT'ers.

2007-09-14 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

I'm sorry I did not catch up with you guys on the day before.  :-(    I did meet Jessie though. 

Congrads on the personal best.  You should be proud.  You had an excellent time!  Woo Hoo.

Geoff

2007-09-15 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Awesome race report! I love the pictures- you always look like you are having a great time You did a great a awesome job and should be so proud! That's funny that you can't wait to move up an age group- I never look forward to that, LOL  
2007-09-15 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California

I just love reading your very thorough RR's!  It really brings us in to your whole experience, fun!  Now, about your race..... grrrrreat job!  Your splits are always so amazing and so consistant.  It's funny though, when you say your legs are tired and your pushing as best you can your pictures still show a happy, casual man on a relaxed jaunt- even though your cruising at warp speed!  You make it look so easy.  I wish that there was more safety measures on the bike course, with those cars going so fast at close range to the bikes, it's really scary.  But, glad you had such a strong and successful day of fun and racing.  Way to go, and ditto with those young people comments, those twenty somethings kill me.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Kahuna Triathlon Rss Feed