Canada
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 30s
Overall Rank = 15/89
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 9/26
Pre-race routine:

Saturday was a pretty low key day - quick swim at the race site and then a short run. Spent the rest of the day doing some work on the computer and relaxing on a rainy day. Definitely over fueled as my weight was up in the morning. Solid sleep and breakfast around 6:30 before heading to the race site. Setup transition and then started to warmup.
Event warmup:

Run - approx 2km in 10' on the course - including race pace pickups
Bike - approx 5km in 10' on the course - including race pace pickups
Swim - approx 500m in 9' getting used to water temp and sight lines.
Swim
  • 24m 53s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

Last year I swam 20:38 but the course was definitely short so I had hoped to go sub 25' this year. I went out well for the first lap, navigating well and finding lots of draft victims. I felt smooth and solid in the water and was happy to see a solid split for the first lap. The second saw the wind pick up a little more so the chop was bigger and there was nobody who was swimming faster than I wanted to go so there was no drafting on lap two. I started to feel some shoulder fatigue with about 300m to go and wasn't able to maintain my pace. Overall, a great swim!
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in the off season - I want to see in the 22-23 range for OD swims.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

There is about a 300m run from the beach to transition to start T1 and then about 100m from transition to the mount line so this was a great T1 given those conditions.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 11m 56s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.36 km/hr
Comments:

Still my weakest link. I just couldn't get going on the bike today. There were lots of cross winds but still, I want to ride more towards the top of the overall standings. The first lap felt pretty good, working hard into the wind and cruising a little on the return. On the second lap, the course really filled up and although I wanted to push the pace a little more, I just wasn't able to. I felt like I was either working too hard or not hard enough at everypoint and ended up settling on not hard enough to try to set up a good run.

I need to bike more, still. I think I have about 4' that I can shave off (this would put me in the range of athletes who are finishing around the same time I am) which will be my big goal for next season.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Solid T2 - again lots of running off the bike but a solid transition nonetheless.

Nothing
Run
  • 40m 59s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 06s  min/km
Comments:

My goal was to run sub 41 today and I was able to just slip under the wire. I felt good right from T2 and was able to set a steady pace for the first lap. I picked things up on the second lap and started running down more athletes - there was one carrot that I was after and at the final turnaround I was about 1' down. I didn't know if I would be able to run him down but picked things up heading to the finish. Ultimately he finished about 35" ahead so no luck this day. However, unlike my last two OD runs, I didn't crack on lap 2 and was able to achieve my goal.

Nothing - great run!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still need to train more - more time in the pool and in the saddle :)

Last updated: 2007-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:53 | 1500 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 20/89
Performance: Good
Lap 1 - 11:58 HR 155 Lap 2 - 12:56 HR 161
Suit: Orca Evo Fullsuit
Course: Two clockwise rectangular loops in Lake Charles including a short beach run between laps.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:56 | 40 kms | 33.36 km/hr
Overall: 29/89
Performance: Average
Lap 1 - 36:03 HR 165 Lap 2 - 35:53 HR 158
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 2x20km out and back course on Waverly Road. Mainly flat with some rollers but overall can be a pretty fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:59 | 10 kms | 04m 06s  min/km
Overall: 10/89
Lap 1 - 18:48 HR 168 Lap 2 and finish - 22:11 HR 172
Course: Two laps on the Shubie Trail (approx 9.2km) and then 800m to the finish (same as the beginning of each lap). Some technical cross country type running and the remainder on well maintained trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-16 3:05 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Shubie Park Triathlon

2007-09-16 9:15 PM
in reply to: #966718

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Shubie Park Triathlon

do I read that right - negative split on the bike with a much lower HR the second lap????

Very solid run!!!  ..and strong mental focus [trying to run a guy down that was ~1min ahead of you at the turn]

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shubie Park Triathlon Rss Feed