General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Racing Underground
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 57m 35s
Overall Rank = 146/322
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Everything laid out in the office the night before with the BT checklist. Got up at 4:40, cleaned up, had a bowl of granola and a banana. Put all of my gear in my bag, checking off items as I put them in to make sure I didn't second guess whether or not I had something. Yes, I'm O.C.

Got to Aur. Res. at 6:15ish and set up my transition area. Did'nt have the best spot (3 rows in and a 3rd of the way down the row). That's what you get for arriving later.

Decided to leave the Garmin on the bike and use it only for the bike and run. That was a good move - it was too much to deal with on the swim during the Rattlesnake.
Event warmup:

Stretched before leaving the house and again after setting up my transition area.
Swim
  • 37m 58s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Goal was 40 minutes. Slow start getting used to the cold water and all the bumping in the crowd. Got into a groove after about 5 minutes and got a little drafting on the way out. After rounding the bouy I found a good draft for about another 5 minutes, but the guy faded and I had to pass. Got into an akward side by side with a woman who was breathing on her opposite side so we were facing each other for another 5 - pretty funny. The best move of the day - releaving myself in the last 500 yards - made for a much more comfortable bike ;-).

What would you do differently?:

I should have got some swimming in before the race to get used to the temp - otherwise it was great.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Overall really happy with the ride. By my watch (which I think I didn't hit the lap buttons at the appropriate times) my T1 was really long. We'll see what the official time is.

Should have opened my shoes better with them on the pedals before hand. I had to do this while on the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 07m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 10 miles went quick. At mile 11, I saw Paul on the side of the road with a flat. Asked if he needed help and he waived me off. This turned out to be his 1st flat (more later).
Got passed at mile 24 by a guy who was definitely in the Clydesdale class. I was okay getting passed alot, but this guy. I passed him back at mile 25 and thought that was the end of it. Nope, he passed me again at mile 28 and I never saw him again.
At mile 48 I pulled off and hit the porta potty which was absolutely necessary, but hurt my time of course. Then the bummer, I saw Paul's wife driving down Quincy and looking around. I realized, Paul must have had more problems and called in the pickup. I later learned he had 3 flats and the patty wagon was getting ready to pick him up. What a bummer.

I was conservative throughout the race to save up for the run. I carried a 20 mph pace the first 30 miles which I thought would be enough to carry just over 18 avg by the finish. The hills and wind caught me on the final leg though.

I should have remembered that my pace drops due to wind and hills on the westbound portion of the ride and gone into it carrying a better time to meet my goal. Maybe held back too much.
Transition 2
  • 02m 51s

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 06m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I was strong mile 1-6, but started to feel a fade at mile 7. Miles 8-13, I walked through every aid station and got 2 waters, one to dring and one for my head. I also drank 75% of all of my fluids in my fuel belt. I was dragging on the final 2 miles and hit 1 big hill. The guy next to me and I both walked the last 50 yrds of it. I took off and I heard him follow. He let me stay ahead of him until the final 100 yards and then he did the sprint thing. Had my 2 girls waiting for me with "go dad" signs and they both ran the finish with me.

Train harder.
Post race

Last updated: 2007-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:58 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 169/322
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Sonar Full
Course: Course was straight out/back and pretty easy to follow with lots of bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:07:43 | 56 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Overall: 199/322
I targeted a pace that would get me in in 3 hours (just over 18mph) and keep my heart rate below 130 as much as possible to stay in Z2. This meant I got passed alot.
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:06:56 | 13.1 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 103/322
90% of the run in Z4. Held my heart rate from going ballistic and kept it pretty steady the whole race. I've actually never been able to keep it at a flat trend line before - pretty happy with that.
Course: Out and back to the damn road. The course was a little different miles 1-3 than Rattlesnake which was an unwelcome suprise. They put us on a dirt trail which had some unexpected hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 7:33 AM

User image

Subject: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

2007-09-17 10:39 AM
in reply to: #967233

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon
Congrats on finishing your first HIM!  It looks like you had a great race and you finished under 6 hours.  It's too bad about your friend and his bad luck with getting 3 flats.  You did great!
2007-09-17 11:33 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Nice race and way to race your plan.  It is tough to let those people go on the bike.  Hopefully you caught them again on the run. 
2007-09-18 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Great job.  Now on to the marathon training!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed