3D
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 34s
Overall Rank = 55/139
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/23
Pre-race routine:

Picked up the race packet on Saturday so I had everything packed in my Tri bag. Had my usual banana and cottage cheese with raspberries at home. Arrived shortly after 7, as usual I was the second racer on my rack, still haven't mangaged to get the end spot. Hung out and was trying to spot the buoys on the water but the fog was to thick, thankfully that lifted once the sun burnt it off. Did my hard boiled egg about 90 minutes before race time and a cliff bar 45 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Staying warm was a challenge. I normally do more jogging throughout the mornings of races, but didn't want to get sweaty which would've certainly led to getting chilled. Started Jogging around 8:30, lite stretching, then off to the truck and donned the wet suit at 8:45, did some swimming and was shocked at how much the water had cooled off in just a week. Upper arms and shoulders felt numb from the warm up.
Swim
  • 30m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wanted to break 30 minutes, just missed! Overall the swim was good, drafted a few different folks, the first two were not navigating real well and appeared to be tacking like a sail boat with all there zigging and zagging. After rounding the island, a fast dude from the wave behind me I think passed and I hung on his feet for a good chunk of the way into shore. For some strange reason they had different colored swim caps in different waves. I like to know who's in my wave or the wave behind me. Not sure why the caps were messed up.

What would you do differently?:

This was by far my best tri swim, time wise and just how good I felt getting out of the water. The longer swim workouts and OWS practice this summer made a world of difference in my overall performance.
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

This weather created a change in my normal set up of wearing my tri top under my wet suit. I had to have a long sleeve shirt on for the bike, wanted to assure that I kept my core warm as I was concerned about hypothermia on the bike. I dried off with a towel but still had troubles with the sleeves.

I was quite upset with the transition. I would've loved to stuck with what I always do, but the weather forced the change. Not much you can do with that.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This would've been a GREAT course if they could shut the roads down to traffic. I was surprised by the amount of traffic at times, riders had to be careful while passing etc with traffic and not to draft. I rode real well and wanted to break 1:15 which I did. I pushed the pace pretty hard but was surprised at some of the folks I dropped on the hills, I never thought hills were my strong suit, but I felt strong overall. Had two gels, one water bottle and one bottle of Infint on the bike.

Just need more time in saddle and work on building speed for next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Getting my feet out and on top of my shoes is working out real well, and makes the transition quick.

No real complaints but I think I may try the quick laces again to speed things up a little.
Run
  • 52m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went well. I never stopped for water or gatorade when I new I had a chance at breaking 2:40 I was pumped! Legs felt good and I was pretty darn uncomfortable towards the end. I had my camelbak fanny in the transition but decided to leave it behind.

Just work on building more long runs and speed for next year. Want to get my run under the 8 minute/mile pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, drank some gatorade, then post recovery Infinit. Loaded up my gear and drank water, ate two hard boiled eggs, and a cliff bar while driving home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I left everything I had on the course. After posting a 2:54 in a Oly race in August, when I was aiming for a 2:45 or better was disappointing. I added this race just 2 or 3 weeks ago to redeem the poor showing in Lansing. I nearly met my dream goal of 2:40, if it wasn't for the cool temps and a bad T1, I would've had a shot at it. So at least I have a new PR of 2:42. Not sure why the clock was on 2:41 when I crossed the finish line.

Since I haven't done tris in 17 or 18 years, or even swam much in recent years, starting back this year with 4 races, 2 sprints and 2 Olys and meeting my goal of 2:45 was an outstanding finish to my year! Looking forward to just lounging around and doing some mountain biking and trail running over the next several weeks before getting back to a solid tri plan for next season.

Event comments:

Great location for a race would be made even better if they could close the roads to traffic, if not all then White Lake Rd at a minimum, which would make avoiding a draft and passing much better, not to mention safer. They mentioned they had catered food, which looked like something you'd see at a wedding buffet, the lines were long. I think I saw 10 spectators for every one racer in line. Didn't bother waiting. I think the Pita sandwiches the week before at Novi would've been much better.

I was surprised by the fact that the mens 40-44 was the largest age group in the Oly.

Last updated: 2007-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:06 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 52/139
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Quick John
Course: Nice course swam out and around an island.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:34 | 24.85 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 52/139
Wind: Some
Course: Nice hilly course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:25 | 06.21 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/23
Overall: 65/139
Course: Out and back on Gale road, with a spur down a side street.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Michigan's Triathlon and Duathlon

2007-09-17 6:50 PM
in reply to: #967365

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: RE: Michigan's Triathlon and Duathlon
Nice report and congrats on the PR. The bike leg was indeed problematic. You should have waited for the food - it was good. Better than the pizza after most I have been at. Looks like you had a nice season getting back at it.

Rick
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Michigan's Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed