Montgomery, TX
United States
Out-Loud Productions
Total Time = 6h 44m 52s
Overall Rank = 353/528
Age Group = Wetsuit-Male
Age Group Rank = 19/45
Pre-race routine:

Don't have much of a pre-race routine. Just made sure that I stayed off my feet as much as possible and stayed hydrated the day before. Had a good dinner, not too late. Race morning, I ate a bannana, drank a cup of coffe, and a Boost drink. I also kept a water bottle at my side. A little before race start I took two e-caps and a shot of hammer gel.
Swim
  • 33m 25s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water temp was 79 degrees at race start, one degree over wetsuit legal... that is if you want to be considered for any award or national points. I didn't care about either, so I wore my wetsuit. My plan was to stay comfortable on the swim, which I did. I was planning on finishing in 40 minutes and I beat that time by quite a bit. Time in the bank and I didn't feel tired!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

Here I just wanted to stay calm and make sure I have everything for the 59 mile ride. I rated this transition as average and I think there are some things I can work on to make it faster, but losing a minute here isn't going to factor in that much in the overall time.

Just need to practice a little more to feel more comfortable.
Bike
  • 3h 17m
  • 59 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the ride. I've ridden this course before and knew what to expect. My goal was to average 17 mph. I felt very comfortable on the ride and had fun. At least until about mile 42. The day had been overcast until then and now it started to heat up. I had also dropped a water bottle early in the race, which I didn't think would be a big deal since I had two more bottles of water and one bottle of Hammer Perpetuem (which was my fuel source) with me. Plus, there were two handups along the way. I had to relieve myself early in the ride and I think I lost another bottle at that point... don't know how though. I realized this when I finished my first bottle of water and went to switch them out. So, I had no water except for what was mixed up in my fuel. And I realized this after the first handup. Good thing I was close to the second handup! The chip seal road and the heat were starting to take a toll. Then as we were heading up a hill, a rider in front of me got off his bike and started walking. As I passed by he asked if I had a spare tube. I stopped and gave him one of my tubes and a CO2 cartridge. Now I don't know if this is legal or not, but I couldn't leave the guy stranded. After that point I felt energized. I think just getting off the bike made a world of difference. I finished the ride faster than expected and feeling better than expected.... More time in the bank.

Need to do more riding. :0)
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

This was a decent transition. Couldn't decide if I wanted to take a bottle of Hammer Perpetuem with me. I went ahead and strapped on the bottle and took off. After the first mile, I wished I would've left the bottle at the transition.

Practice.
Run
  • 2h 48m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where it got nasty. First off, I should've left the bottle pack at the transition. I brought along a full bottle, a flask of hammer gel, and some e-caps. The waist pack started to put pressure on my stomach, which wasn't good. I took the bottle out and carried it in my hand and stuffed the gel flask in one pocket of my shorts and the e-caps in the other pocket. This took the pressure off my stomach. I tried to drink some of the Perpetuem that was mixed in the bottle, but it just didn't taste good at that point. I ended up dumping the contents and stuck to using hammer gel and e-caps along with water. This combination ended up working very well. After the first 3 miles or so of the run, I started feeling pretty decent. It had been more walking than running until that point, but then I started to get some energy back. Mechanically and mentally I felt great. No pain, no blisters, good attitude.... I was just out of gas. Lack of long run training. The hammer gel and e-caps were giving me some energy, but that will only get you so far. I was walking the uphills and running the flats and downhills as much as I could. Even though it was a slow run time, I'm happy with it. I didn't think it was going to go as well as it did.

More long runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. I think I was okay with the nutrition and fueling and I was happy with my swim and bike. I just didn't train enough to get me through the run faster.

Event comments:

This is a good race and I recommend it for anyone. The run course could stand to be improved, but this is difficult at any venue when you have a race of this distance.

Last updated: 2004-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:25 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 199/528
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion Fluid Drive Sleeveless
Course: A rectangular course that started and ended in two different locations. We started on the beach area of the Del Lago Resort Marina. Then swam out into the main part of the lake and then back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:17:00 | 59 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Overall: 329/528
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: This is a very interesting course. Most of it is on farm roads with the surface varying from smooth to chip seal to potholes. The course has gentle rolling hills which aren't difficult, but they never end. A section of the course winds through the town of Montgomery and this portion is a no passing zone due to the narrow road and high traffic.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:48:02 | 13.1 miles | 12m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 385/528
Performance: Below average
Course: A double out and back with a little added on at the end. No shade!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-25 9:27 PM

User image

Bryan, TX
Subject: Ironstar Triathlon

2004-10-26 3:18 PM
in reply to: #76057

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Ironstar Triathlon
Way to go! Is this the end of your tri season then?

-Frank
2004-10-26 9:21 PM

Dude,

I felt pretty much like you did. I felt pretty good for the swim and the bike but that run just kicked my butt...I did not know quite what to expect with this being my first 1/2 ironman. I know for next year that I have to run alot more.

It looks like you did damn good...

See ya next year!!!!

Frank
2004-10-27 1:53 AM

User image

fantastic swim time, and great job overall...... extra extra karma points for helping out that other racer.

Way to go

Chris
2004-10-27 1:18 PM

User image

Bryan, TX
Thanks guys! Is this a great forum or what! This was my first half and I used it as training for IMAZ in April. I found the things I need to work on - bike and run. In a way, I wish it was the end of the season, but it's just starting for me.

chris
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironstar Triathlon Rss Feed