just get everything situated
Event warmup:

10min swim
Swim
  • 14m 32s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Second time swimming in a wetsuit, felt decent but I need to make more room in the shoulders so as to not fatigue them from working against the pull back of the material on each stroke. I had to change direction often but I sighted frequently enough to not go far off course. I'm sure I was a solid BOP'er but I didn't follow the other's progress and we had 2 waves behind me that skewed my perception of placement. I felt good in the swim even though I'm slow, I really enjoyed it, ended up 126th of 161 in the swim :]
What would you do differently?:

Hopefully I'll develop better cardio for swimming so that I can do bilateral breathing w/out feeling winded which may help me swim straighter and therefore sight less (and be off course less) which would improve my time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

I'm not really pushing for time as it being my first and still overweight I did this event to have a health goal to work towards so I put my cycling shoes on & then jogged to the mounting area. Forgot my bucket for water which wasn't a big deal, just used the towel to get sand off my feet and put socks on anyway. Felt organized and no mistakes, was 114th of 161 in T1 times.

bring water bucket, maybe when/if I get more competitive I'd consider no socks, shoes already clipped in, etc..
Bike
  • 35m 46s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was well marked and staffed. I used the areo bars more than I do in training (which was cool). I need to have my seat slightly tilted down to be comfortable in aero but when sitting up I slide down a bit so it's a tough trade off (maybe I'll cough up some dough for an Adamo?). It was good to have 1/2 the street/lane for room to pass. I think I passed 25+ people? Finally heard those fast disc riders come whizzing by (kewl). I'm uncomfortable using the water bottle while riding as I don't feel able to keep a strong pace or have solid stability so I'll either consider a camelback but will probably go with a podium quest aero bottle (want to do more aero riding anyway, it felt good on the legs too). The bike was my best performing event and the one I enjoyed the most too [that's probably why :] I didn't push my legs hard, I know I'm a slow runner at my current level of training and didn't want to kill my legs [I was just trying to finish w/ out stopping afterwall :] Ended up 85th of 161 people.

With better conditioning I would ride harder, maybe change gears less on hills to maintain some more speed over keeping the same cadence? I need to incorporate better hydration during this event.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I have mtn bike shoes w/ both a buckle & velcro fitting so they're not the fastest for removal but it was ok I guess? I don't own quick ties for my running shoes (yet?) so there's a delay. T2 felt ok though and I was off & running! It was cool that my family & friends could be 10ft away from transition and I got to say hi and how I felt too. Told 'em I was a bit winded & thirsty but otherwise doing well! 154th of 161 ~

Uhh.. sure, new fancy cycling Tri shoes & laces :]
Run
  • 31m 42s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt slow which is about right for me when I've done my brick trainings. I didn't push myself as I wanted to make sure I finished the run w/out walking. It felt like I kept the same pace the whole time. I did see a runner get knocked down by a cyclist after a turn. I think the runner drifted after making the turn and the bike had someone next to him so he couldn't really avoid the runner. I tried to help with runner, he only had a scrape on his leg but told me to go on (the cyclist managed not to fall as he screeched to stop & tried to help too). Ended up 149th of 161 folks.

Try not to run at 250 and have the ability to run 5K for more than 2 weeks prior to an event :] Again, as I train more and feel confident I'll push myself more, 1st race wasn't a timesetting goal for me ~
Post race
Warm down:

just did my usual stretching plan

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overweight, add the intake of some cals during race (only had water), more training, all kinds of sweet new Tri gear, etc..

Event comments:

I had a good race, my expectations weren't high with my limited previous exposure but I felt safe and had no questions of where and what. The support of staff & volunteers was great. I look forward to working on my fitness & weightloss and doing an Oly in the Spring!

Last updated: 2007-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:32 | 600 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 126/161
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU C2 Comp
Course: leave heading left from beach along buoy's about 25yrds off shore, down and around double buoy at the end of the line and back to a beach located after the starting beach (marked again w/ double buoys)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:08
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:46 | 10.5 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Overall: 85/161
Wind: Some
Course: 7 turns on a fairly level street/neighborhood course, four laps in total.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:42 | 03 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 149/161
Performance: Below average
Compuscote shows 10:34 pace?
Course: One lap of the same bike course. It felt a little crowded with a fair amount of cyclists doing laps still while running (there was a kayak Tri at the same time and they finished their kayaking a bit later than when the swimmers finished keeping the course full).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-23 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area
Subject: Treasure Island Sprint Tri

2007-09-23 6:38 PM
in reply to: #975886

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Treasure Island Sprint Tri
that is a pretty spare race report there buddy!!
2007-09-24 12:31 PM
in reply to: #975886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area
Subject: RE: Treasure Island Sprint Tri

Hey Sue, I know. I just started it last night. I added more today. I'm still waiting to find out how to get all my time results so I can fill in the blanks still. It should be all done soon!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Sprint Tri Rss Feed