Piranha Sports
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 15s
Overall Rank = 157/160
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 and did some push-ups and sit-ups to get the blood flowing. Ate a bagel with some cream cheese and a cup of coffee along with about 24 oz of water. Heather and I didn't get a hotel, so we were in the car by 5:00 to get up to Bath. Arrived about 6:15 and set up the tri area. Lin-Mark had it set up by your race number, so everyone had a pre-allocated spot, which was nice. Chatted with the athletes around me and hit the portajohns, which there were far too few of (3!).
Event warmup:

Didn't get too much of a warm-up in, which was a bummer - the 7:30 meeting rolled around fast. Was able to get into the water for about five minutes before the required meeting, which was nowhere near enough time.
Swim
  • 19m 4s
  • 711 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first 200 yards were a nightmare. The lake was choppier than I thought, and ended up swallowing a lot of water out of the gate. With all of the adrenalin (thanks to the short warm-up - I would have burned it off if I had a longer time in the water), I ended up on the verge of a panic attack, and I actually thought about pulling off my cap, but then thought better about that. I started doing freestyle with my head out of the water, then the breaststroke through the first 200, then started doing freestyle for the rest of the race. The last 200 were solid. By the end of the swim I was out of breath and my shoulders were sore from the inital panic.
What would you do differently?:

Get into the water earlier and do more warm-up. I felt better in the swim in my first triathlon, and I think that was because I did about 200 yards before the opening gun. Despit that, my swim pace, while worse than the first one, was still respectable and around training pace.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Was still out of breath from the swim by the time I reached T1. I slowed down, got my socks and shoes on, and pulled on the rest of my gear. Took a big swallow of some Accelerade and water, along with a few Shot Blocks. Some guy was totally pulling a hissy fit in the area, shouting that someone took his bike helmet. The guy next to me put it best after the race - dude, if you're in the transition area as the same time as me, you're definitely not getting any hardware. I grabbed the bike and walked quickly through the area and out.

To be honest, not too much. This is a good 90 seconds quicker than my first triathlon, which is pretty great, and I'm pleased with it. Improving my cardio will make this easier. Eventually I'll get to the barefoot riding/shoes on as I start out thing. Maybe next year.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 29s
  • 14.91 miles
  • 14.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough starting out - still winded from the swim. About a mile in I started feeling a little shakey, so I slowed down and took in a good amount of Acclerade. After another mile or so I felt better and was able to calm down and get into some kind of groove, but I wasn't mashing as hard as I wanted to, I think the hills I saw on my drive-through yesterday were in my head and for good reason. Ended up slipping my chain after the first really big incline and had to stop, figure out how to put it back on (I had no clue, honest! I was planned for a flat, but never losing my chain!), get it back on, and get rolling again - that probably burned a good 3-5 minutes. About 12 miles in my lower back started flaring up again - I have a form of spina bifida, and basically the pain's arthritic in nature - while I drove through it, I know it took some speed off. Kept reaching for the Accelerade on the bike, which was a goal of mine to make sure I tried to stay hydrated.

Train for more hills - this is essential as I've been training on flats. Plan for the unexpected. I need to lose some weight to help with the back discomfort towards the end of rides. Considering that my training routine was incompatible with the actual course, and the slipped chain, I'm ok with this.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Again, faster than my first triathlon. Sat down to switch shoes, ended up yelling to Heather about throwing the chain. Walked out of transition to try and get my legs back before running.

Speed ties for the laces. Less complicated bike shoes - one strap as opposed to three. Maybe a bucket to sit on while I swap shoes.
Run
  • 38m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt better overall with this run as opposed to the first triathlon. Faster time, even though not by much. While I was still not hydrated enough, I was able to run farther and longer before and between walking. Still having trouble taking in fluid during the run, I'm going to have to work on that. There were points where I felt both of my legs were on the verge of total cramping, so I walked them out, actually stopped to stretch once.

Train. Train. Train.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, took in a sandwich and a coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Once I get back into it after a few weeks of gym workouts, I'm going to have to work more on bricks, more running. More hill training with the bike.

Event comments:

I liked the race. It was challenging. I would definitely do it next year - and I'm planning on it, because there's no way I'm happy with being over 2:00. While I was totally bummed out about my race when I crossed the finish line, looking back, it was definitely a character builder and I'm pleased with how I kept my head about me in some bad situations (the swim, the chain, etc.) and gutted it out.

Last updated: 2007-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:04 | 711 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/160
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Perimiter lap around man-made lake. Water felt colder than the 74.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:32
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:29 | 14.91 miles | 14.09 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The website said "Gentle Rolling Hills" - maybe to the riders of the Tour de France, but not to me. Some pretty big long inclines of varying steepness (sometimes in the same incline), some decent declines as well. Sharp turns.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:54 | 03.11 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course with some gradual hills. Water station only at transition and at the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-23 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: Patriot's Triathlon

2007-09-24 7:46 AM
in reply to: #975902

User image

Cherryville, PA
Subject: RE: Patriot's Triathlon
Two hours of all-out effort, nice! Think about that, you basically did a 2-hour non-stop workout. Could you do that at the beginning of the season?

Great job out there.
2007-09-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: #976306

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Thanks. I was a real mope after the race, and mentally speaking, since vacation, I've just been in the crapper when it comes to training. However, after breaking it all out, I feel like I did better overall on this one, even though the paces weren't as strong as the first one. After yesterday, I'm definitely more confident in what I can handle physically and psychologically during a race. I really appreciate the support you've given me - it has seriously helped.
2007-09-24 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

Well Done!  Sounds like a challenging day, especially with your chain, I'm glad you stuck it out.

Certainly not a bad first season of triathlons but nothing compared to season two.

2007-09-24 11:23 AM
in reply to: #976370

User image

Cherryville, PA
I know the course you rode for the Patriots Tri yesterday, not quite the same as the Jersey State course.

If you can power through that bike course yesterday, you can rock it at Jersey next year.
2007-09-28 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
You impressed me with your perserverance.  You overcame fear, pain, discouragement and you figured out how to put a chain back on all in one 2-hour period - AWESOME!  Plus, you beat all the people who made the decision to sleep in or sit on the couch that morning.  Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot's Triathlon Rss Feed