United States
Setup, Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 30s
Overall Rank = 94/267
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/33
Pre-race routine:

Ate a granola bar about an hour before the race. The racks were assigned 5 per rack, and I was the first to arrive on my rack, so I got the end spot.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little bit on the beach.
Swim
  • 25m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The beginning of this swim was not good. I kept running over the person in front of me, but I couldn't get around him because there was somebody on both sides of me. This went on for several hundred yards. Finally, things started to break up and I got into a good rhythm.

At first I was a little disappointed that my swim time was so slow compared to everyone else's, but then I remembered that most people had wet suits. I think wet suits should be illegal for anything over 70 degrees. ;)
What would you do differently?:

At the start, I figured I might not want to be in the very front row of my wave, so I positioned myself where there was a row of people in front of me. I should have positioned myself at the front though.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

There was a long run from the swim up to the TA, and the TA was long and narrow, so there was a lot of running within the TA. Plus, the bike mount line was actually on a short hill, so they suggested not actually getting on the bike until the top of the hill(about 10 or 20 yards past the mount line). I followed that advice, and my run and jump on the bike went well. I hadn't practiced putting my shoes on the bike since the last race though, and I had a hard time getting my feet in the shoes.

Remember to practice putting the shoes on the bike before the race.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on this ride. The heat bothered me a little bit, but not as much as on the run.

Drink more. I drank about the same as my training ride last weekend, but with it being so hot, I should have drunk more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I must have been brain dead at the end of the ride, cause I forgot to take my feet out of my shoes. As I saw the dismount line approaching, I remembered, and I took them out of the shoes really fast, and barely did it in time before I jumped off the bike at the dismount line.

Normally, the bike racks are staggered where one person racks on one side of the rack, and the next person racks on the opposite side, and so on. This is how the bikes were racked before the race, but when I got back to the rack, the man on the other side had racked his bike on my side of the rack. So, I had a little trouble racking my bike.

My time was a little slower because I had a gel in transition, but I think it was worth it. I guess I could have had the gel while I was running though. I'll have to find out if it's ok to throw down empty gel packets at the aid stations.

Remember to take my feet out of my shoes earlier.
Run
  • 51m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was really hot. I think it was over 90 later that day, but I think it was already in the 80s during the race. The first mile or so was up hill and no shade. After that, it was a little better with some shade from the trees. Thankfully, I didn't get a side stitch, but I was a little disappointed that I was over 8 minute miles. I can't complain too much though, cause it was way better than the run in the last race. I think if I would have drank more on the bike, it would have helped.

Drink more on the bike, depending on the weather conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little bit. I should have walked and stretched a little more, but I always want to talk to my family after the race.

Event comments:

This was a really well run race, and I enjoyed the course. The free Outback Steakhouse dinner afterwards was great too. I'd like to do this one again next year.

Last updated: 2007-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:43 | 1640 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/33
Overall: 110/267
Performance: Average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: The course was basically 3 sides of a rectangle. We started about chest deep in the water, swam out and made two right turns and back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:10:28 | 24.85 miles | 21.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/33
Overall: 64/267
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This was a pretty easy course. It wasn't ever flat, but the hills weren't very steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:24 | 06.21 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/33
Overall: 119/267
Course: The same as the first part of the bike course, plus a little .2 mile stretch down a side street and back. That little side street was not fun, 'cause it was down hill, and then back up.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: Big Lick

2007-09-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: #976864

User image

Subject: RE: Big Lick
Nice race.. those are great times for an Oly with temps like that! I'm definitely going to have to find a race that gives you free dinner at the end! That's motivation!
2007-09-24 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Great job! Congrats on your first Oly!! Quite an accomplishment, and your times look really good, especially for racing in the heat.
2007-09-24 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Awesome job! So just why is this race called Big Lick?
2007-09-24 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Well done!! Great times on each event, you should be proud of yourself! 
2007-09-25 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I'm not sure why it's called the Big Lick, but my guess would be that's the name of a nearby salt lick or something. 

2007-09-25 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Excellent job!  Those are all great times! 

Like you said, the run was a very good improvement over last time, and you learned more from it as well.  Next time you'll have another big improvement there!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Lick Rss Feed