General Discussion Race Reports! » Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vonore, Tennessee
United States
Race Day Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 05m 57s
Overall Rank = 9/140
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

I stayed about 5 minutes from the race site. Got up around 5am and ate a Cliff bar and drank some coffee. Over the next 2 hours I also drank about a quart of gatorade, ate 2 bananas, and took 3-4 endurolyte pills. I knew it was going to be a hot day, so I was trying as hard as I could to hydrate.
Event warmup:

Not too much warm up for this one. Basically rode the bike around for 10 minutes just to make sure everything was working. Swam a few stroked before the race, but that's about it. I tend to think that the longer the race, the less important it is to warm up extensively.
Swim
  • 28m 22s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Going into the race, my plan was to swim slightly harder than my normal training pace. I think I did a pretty good job of accomplishing this and didn't get too caught up in racing any specific person. The sun was pretty bad on the way out, but somehow I managed to swim a pretty straight line to the yellow turn buoy. Coming back was no problem at all. I have to say, in the last 4 years or so of triathlon racing I've really improved at swimming straight and not getting off course. This was a good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't do anything different
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I took a little extra time to put on socks for the bike leg, to stash some gel in my back jersey pocket, and to put on gloves. For rides of this length I'm willing to sacrifice a little time in T1 for a more comfortable ride.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 41m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.76 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike leg went pretty well for me. I did get passed by a few (ok, several) people, but I kept telling myself to race my own race and I'd be seeing some of them once the run started.

The course basically out and back, done twice. The first leg I felt really good, we still had a little shade from the trees on the side of the road. I really tried to hydrate as much as I could. The second lap was a little hotter than the first and I felt my legs leaving me just a little. Lap 2 was about 2 minutes slower than lap one, but I'm okay with that.

All told, I think I drank 5 1/2 bottles of fluid and took 12-14 endurolytes during the ride trying to battle the heat on the bike course and the inferno to come on the run.

I wouldn't change much on this leg. I possibly could have pressed on a little harder in the second lap.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Again, took just a little extra time to take off all the bike gear, put on new socks, etc.
Run
  • 1h 52m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 6 miles were very hilly, the last 7 were mostly flat with slight elevation changes, all 13 were in the sun and hot, hot, hot! Temperatures reached 90+ on the run with absolutely no shade.

I was running well the first 5 miles or so. Not pushing the pace at all and still maintaining 7:30 miles or so. After that, the heat just took hold of me. I continued to run most of the time, but at a much slower pace. I did walk some, but only for 30-40 steps at a time. Luckily, I never cramped.

I did manage to pass 6-7 people and secure a place in the top 10 overall, which was good even if I wasn't able to hold it together for a sub 5h day.

I'm not sure what I could do differently. I suppose I could have trained more in the heat, but at some point you're dealing with diminishing returns with that strategy.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt like I wanted to collapse, but I knew I should walk around some and try to rehydrate. After a few minutes of this I found a nice shady spot to watch more finishers come through. I definitely saw a lot of suffering out there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat. I know I'm in significantly better shape than last year, yet I was 2 minutes slower. Had the temperatures been a more normal 75-78 I'm sure I would have broken 5 hours and possibly 4:50. Even so, I'm happy with my performance and my overall placing.

Event comments:

I can't believe I'm about to type this, but major kudos to Race Day Events. I've done 5 of their races this year, mostly because they're convenient, and every one has had problems with organization, timely awards, accurately marked courses, etc. Atomic Man was the exception. They did a great job and I really appreciate it given the difficulty of the course and the day.

Last updated: 2007-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:22 | 2112 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 18/140
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:41:50 | 56 miles | 20.76 mile/hr
Overall: 21/140
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills with a couple of larger hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:52:49 | 13.1 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 14/140
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2007-09-26 4:26 PM
in reply to: #977017

Subject: RE: Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Great race, especially on the run. I don't know how you managed the heat. It killed me. Congratulations.
2007-09-26 6:40 PM
in reply to: #977017

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Wow. Top 10, AG win, and survived the hills and the heat. Great race!

Edited by southwestmba 2007-09-26 6:40 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed