General Discussion Race Reports! » Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vonore, Tennessee
United States
Race Day Events
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 37m 18s
Overall Rank = 38/141
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

got up ate some oatmeal and a waffle
Event warmup:

rode 3 miles to race site, that was enough of a warm up
Swim
  • 28m 47s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was very pleased with the swim. My goal was to be out of the water in 31 minutes. On the way out, I kept veering to the right. We were heading right into the sun so when I tried to sight, I was blinded but couldn't see the buoys. Once I got to the first turn, I was doing better. I felt very comfortable and steady on the swim, and finished feeling very strong, yet it seemed like I wasn;t in the water very long. When I got out and saw 28:45 on my watch I was ecstatic. I might could have gone 30 seconds faster with better navigation at the start and I definitely could have pushed harder, but I will take this swim in a heartbeat and not think twice.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

I was so excited about my swim time that I kind of sucked in T1. I couldn't get my wetsuit off, but I finally managed it and was off

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 51m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a very good ride. My goal was 2:54. I felt good going out on the first loop, came back in strong to the end of the loop in 1:25. The second loop was almost as good, I slowed by about a minute on the way out which was OK and didn't surprise me becuase this was the hardest part of the course. I rode strong the rest of the way in. I was at a comfotably hard pace the entire way and felt good going into the run.
They had water bottle exchanges at mile 16,28, 34, and I made sure I was drinking a full bottle between stops, so I think I was taking in a good amount of fluids. I also ate a PowerBar at 15 minutes in, gel at 1:30, 2:00, another Powerbar at 2:30 and was ready to run

nothing. I could have pushed it a little more, but I would have been dead on the run for sure. I was very happy with the ride and felt great thinking I would kill the run
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Had a good T2. I took my time, drank a little, put on race belt and IPod and was off. I know IPods are illegal, but I needed it for a 2 hour run, penalty be damned

nothing
Run
  • 2h 08m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I though I was ready for a great run with my goal being 1:50, 1:52 at the worst. The fisrt couple of miles felt good, as I was taking it easy the first couple of miles. The first big hill was at mile 4 and my time showed it. By this time it was almost noon and 88degrees. The sun just got my. They had plenty of water stops, at least every mile, and I had my fuel belt with 24oz on, too. At every stop I took at least 1 if not 2 cups to drink and poured at least 1 cup on my head, but it was so damn hot, it hardly made a difference. I was dying. I never got to the point where I was last year, that my quads were hurting with each step, I just had to stop every 1/2 mile to cool off. I never walked more than about 50 yards at a time, and ususally not that far, I only stopped once each mile. I was disappointed when I realized that I wouldn't break 3:30 about mile 9, especially after feeling so good at the beginning adn thinking 5:15 was a real possibility. Overall, I don't know what else I could have done. It was just too hot. I felt good starting the run, I flet my nutrition was good, I drank about as much as I could, it was jsut HOT
I did get a 4 minute penalty for the IPod, but I don't care. The 4 minutes certainly didn't keeep me from placing or anything. I just remember from my last 1/2 that the 2 hour run after being mentally drained was terrible. I thought that risking a 4 minute penalty was worth having the music on to try and distract me from the pain.

try drinking a little more
Post race
Warm down:

walked around poured lots of water over my head and ate a little bit of a sandwich

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat

Event comments:

This course is just brutal. The hills on the bike aren't too steep or long, I could just never get into a rhythm because of the hills. The run course is the worst, being so hilly the first 6 miles and so boring and dull the last 7. There are a TON of volunteers out and plenty of water stations. Organization was great, good amenities and nice tech Tshirt. This is my second year to do this race, and while I've enjoyed it both years, if I do another 1/2 IM will probably find another one.

Last updated: 2007-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:47 | 1931 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 24/141
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: rectangular course in Tellico Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:51:36 | 56 miles | 19.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 38/141
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 loop very hilly course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:08:39 | 13.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 40/141
Performance: Average
8:34 (with pee break),8:16, 8:32,9:30,9:47,10:29,9:14, 9:14, 10:11,10:24,12:52,10:27, 10:56
Course: Clover leaf course, the first half is terribly hilly through a golf course, the second half is terribly dull through an industrial park, with huge warehouses, no shade and no people
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 4:44 PM

Subject: Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2007-09-26 11:40 AM
in reply to: #977382

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon
You're definitely right about the heat. I've dropped huge chunks of time in other races this year (12 min PR in an oly), so I knew I was in great shape heading into this race. Still, I was 2 minutes slower than last year with the run being about 10 minutes slower.

I guess you just have to deal with whatever the weather happens to be on race day (but you don't have to like it).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atomic Man Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed