EndureItMultisports
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 07m 31s
Overall Rank = 46/180
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/21
Pre-race routine:

Booked into motel in New Milford night before. Went out for dinner with the family had chicken baked potato was a sleep by 9pm.

Woke up at 4.30am Had a turkey bagel for breakfast and gatorade.
Event warmup:

Swam for about 300 yds, talked to my team mates for a while.
Swim
  • 33m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Mens wave started first had a good swim I started second row back got whacked around a bit but nothing major. Sighting was really good and I caught some series draft out to the turn around point. Looked at my polar to see I was at the turn around point at just under 16 minutes and my heart rate was too high. Purposely slowed it down on the way in and just concentrated on three stroke breathing sighting every 5 cycles with long arm stretch and a nice body roll.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe I shouldn't have dialled it back on the swim. But I knew the first 5 miles of the bike were up hill with a gut buster at mile three and I knew I wouldn't have time to get my heart rate down. 6 minutes faster than I thought I would be perhaps swim a little short..But in saying that my Olympic swim times are similar pace to this so maybe not...
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

High fived my wife, kids and coach at the entrance to the bike area.

This was just a disaster, got my timing chip caught on my wetsuit almost ripped my wetsuit. Decided to ride in a cycle shirt as I only had one water cage on my Tri Bike. So put the water bottle in the back pocket. I couldn't get the bike shirt on as I was wet and it got stuck wrestled with this for a minute or two.

Not be cheap and buy a water system for my aero bars. The guy's in my AG whom finished 6th and 7th were only 35 and 50 seconds ahead of me. If I hadn't of had jersey issue would have come 6th.
Bike
  • 3h 31m 40s
  • 56.7 miles
  • 16.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Executed my plan flawlessly on the bike: Nutrition was 750 calorie bottle of Spiz lasted right to the last 2 miles. Changed water bottles every 15 mile stop had a GU every 45 minutes and 2 Endurolyte tablets every hour.

This ride was insane 5,700 foot of climbing. I knew the race would come down to pacing. I raced it all in high Zone 2 83% of max every time I went above the zone I would switch down a gear. After every big climb I would spin and coast the down hills until my HR came down. At Mile 22 there was a false downhill 10 mile stretch, my plan was to pick up the pace here and pull up to early Zone 3. 85%-87% of LT. I was hammering it on the false down hill my computer was telling me I was averaging 31 miles an hour. On the flat I was averaging 24 - 26 miles an hour every time I caught a glance of my heart rate zone I was there or there abouts. I passed about 5 - 10 people on this part of the course. Probably all the people on road bikes that had passed me on the hills.

This led into Gear Mountain rd. This is a sraight up 3 mile climb back over the mouontain range. I averged 4.1 miles an hour up this hill. People were walking and most of us were transversing sideways as it was too steep to climb. At the top of this hill was the most amazing view...The next 20 miles were all brutal climbs and hair raising descends. I clocked 47.5 miles an hour according to my computer on one of the descends.

Peed on myself at mile 40 and the again at mile 47 what a truly awful experience but I wasn't stopping...

Rest of the bike went smoothly but I was getting tired. Popped two extra strength advil at mile 54 and then coasted into transition did a flying dismount and ran into transition feeling like I hadn't just ridden the hardest ride ever.

Nothing - So many people blew up on the run and the tail end of the bike for pushing too hard on the first 30 Miles. Yes the time looks slow and I normally bike this kind of distance in 2.50 - 3.00 hours but I was in good shape. I must have lost two or three minutes by having to fight to get my water out of my back shirt pocket and back in again every 15 minutes.

Went with my tri bike, this course I think may have been better on a road bike. But hey you don't drop a bundle on a new P2C and then don't ride it..
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Changed out of bike shirt put on my team tri shirt loaded up advil, Gu's and Endurolytes and charged out of Transition on to my strong leg the run.

Not be cheap by a water system then I wouldn't have needed to change shirts. Seeing a pattern here?
Run
  • 1h 55m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok got on the course and felt great, stopped at first water stop and had water/gatorade and a GU and 2 Endurlytes. Then proceded to get my heart rate up to 85% of LT Late Zone 2 and stayed there for the next 4 miles just alternating aide stations with Gatorade & water every mile pace was between 8.30 - 8.45minute miles. At mile 4 I peed on myself and accidentaly let go a number two as well. This was aweful I was starting to have some stomach issues. Two weeks prior to the race I had a bad Gastro bug and couldn't eat for a week and dropped three pounds.

From mile 5 - 6 I was still running consistent 8.30's but my crotch was starting to get raw from carrying around a poo in my trou. I debated stopping at the half way point but checked my watch I had just run a 55 minute 6.6 mile split and was starting to think I could go under 6 hours. Legs felt great energy felt great. I pressed on dropped some more Endruolites and last of my advil and then continued the 85% Heart rate pace. I had by now stopped all Gatorade and GU as my stomach was telling me it didn't want it. By this stage I was just passing lot's of people.

I was starting to wonder when my legs would get tired I really felt like I was cruising by now it was about 83 degrees and hot and people were walking and suffering just seemed to be me running along
nice and easy. I hit mile 9 just clicking off my 8.30mins HRate not moving. I started doing the maths in my head if I could run the last 4 miles in 33 minutes I would come in under 6 hours and a half marathon time of 1.47. I clicked up by heart rate to high zone 3. Mile 10 and mile 11 were my fastest miles 8.20 and 8.15. I started to think at that point I was going to do do it. And then I just faded. Mile 12 I dropped to about 10 minute miles and the last mile was tough, collected my 4 and 3 year old and ran through the finish gate.

I knew at some point my bad taper was going to catch up on me. My stomach had been so bad for two weeks before the race and it happened on the run.

My longest run in training was 1 x 13 miles and two 10 miles. I think I would have benefitted from another 13 mile run. I just had nothing left in the last two miles of the run.

Overall very happy with my run on the back of such a tough course.

Post race
Warm down:

Ate Pizza, clapped in the rest of my team mates and drank about three bottles of Gatorade Endurance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Up to Tuesday before the race I was going to pull out of the race due to the previous weeks constant vomitting and diarea due to Gastro bug I basically couldn't eat for a week and lost 3lbs. I think in hind-site the 3lbs of weight loss helped for the run and cycle. I raced at 183lbs meaning I have lost about 32lbs since Sep 1st 2006 this helped on the hills.

I think my inability to take on any food/gatorade from mile 5 on the run caught up with me on the last two miles of the run.

Overall I was very happy with my perfromance and this has given me a lot of confidence for IM Wisconsin next year. A lot more work is required on the bike. This is only my first season and I just don't have the miles under my belt.

Event comments:

The setting for this course is just fantastic, the lake is beautiful. The ride was very extreme. 12 people DNF'd out of a field of 180 that seems high to me.

Aide stations were plentiful and well stocked, volunteers were great. My only complaint was there was no finishing medal I got some poxy finisher towel which I used to clean out my tri shorts after teh race 8-)

Last updated: 2007-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:41 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/21
Overall: 79/180
Performance: Good
Exited the Water Heart rate 92% of LT
Suit: IM Instinct Full length
Course: 0.6 miles out in the lake and then 0.6 miles back on the other side of the buoy anti-clockwise.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:45
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:31:40 | 56.7 miles | 16.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 66/180
Wind: Some
Course: What to say, 5,700 feet of climbing in Litchfield county this was just brutal...
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:55:50 | 13.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/21
Overall: 58/180
Course: Two loops along the lake fairly flat with climb at each end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-25 8:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Nutmeg State Half Iron Triathlon

2007-09-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: #977851

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Nutmeg State Half Iron Triathlon
Great race James! Good run considering the "blow out" at mile 4.  Your bike was also impressive expecially with all of that climbing. Just think of what the possibilities would have been had you not gotten sick the weeks leading up to it? Amazing work my friend!
2007-09-25 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Excellent job James!  You had a fantastic race - especially after the last couple of weeks!  You deserve to take this week off! Smile

Maybe Santa can help with some new gear for next year!

I think lopping off the 32lbs helped more than just help on the hills!

Congratulations on such a fantastic year!  Looking forward to seeing how 2008 goes for you getting ready for IMMOO! Cool

2007-09-25 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Nice work James!  Glad to see that the plan worked out too, especially that you got in all those calories and didn't see much HR drift throughout the race.  That's a testament to your fitness level.  Excellent season, now enjoy some down time and don't worry if you put on a few of those lost lbs.
2007-09-25 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

Congrats on a great race. That was one brutal course! Getting sick right before the race certainly didn't help. Very nice job. 

2007-09-25 5:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA

James...you did great!

Congrats on executing a well crafted plan on your first very tough HIM.

It is a great HIM to do before  your first IM.

Awesome splits and way to run even when it was tough...

2007-09-26 6:36 AM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
What a great race James, and big props on your fantastic weight loss since last fall, that's amazing!!  Your overall and age group results really show how hard you've been working, and you rocked out that 1/2 marathon run, good for you!  I had no doubt you'd crank out a great race, you da' man!!!
2007-09-26 7:48 AM

Nice work!  You'll be loving that brutal bike ride come IMWI - nothing like a little early preparation for those rollers
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nutmeg State Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed