General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Race Recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-25 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: Post Race Recovery
I've read several books on triathlon and there is a lot of information about preparing for the race and doing the race, but little about recovery. I was wondering what all of you do after a race to aid recovery and ease muscle soreness so that you can get back to training soon.

Thank you!

2007-09-25 12:57 PM
in reply to: #978465

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Post Race Recovery

Recovery, soreness and fatigue all vary from person to person so thats why you see little on the subject.  For me personally, if I compete in a sprint or olympic distance race I *might* take the next day off.  But likely I will participate in some form of recovery run or ride (very slow place).   If it is a half-ironman, then I like to take an ice bath within a few hours of finishing.  I likely take a few days off (or train with very low intensity) depending on what else is on my race schedule. 

More importantly, recovery begins the minute you are finished with the race.  Proper hydration and nutrition afterwards can go a long way.  Along with stretching, massages and ice baths, there are a number of techniques that can help.  As you race and train more, you become really familiar with your bodies limitations, how much you can push yourself and equally important...how quick you can bounce back 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Race Recovery Rss Feed