General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, Connecticut
United States
TriSport Media
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 52s
Overall Rank = 5/197
Age Group = M2529
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the race site at 7:00 and noticed a lot of road bikes w/out areo bars, hybrids and a couple mountain bikes getting unloaded in the parking lot. It looks like there will be a lot of novices here today.
Danielle and I bring our stuff over to the transition area. It was a free for all getting racked and later they must have run out of space since some people leaned their bikes up against the transition area walls.
Got our packets, used the bathroom and got marked.
Event warmup:

Walked the 1/3 mile from transition to the water and swam around a little bit.
Swim
  • 09m 33s
  • 704 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was shallow for a good 25 yards, so there was a lot of water running at the start an end. Dolphin dives would have been appropriate, but I've never practiced them. Noticed a cinder block on the bottom, hopefully nobody trips on it.

My googgles fell off as soon as I dove in, so I had to stand again to reseat them. Sprinted out to the first bouy trying to avoid the other swimmers. There was a lot of contact for the first 50 yards or so until I got clear of most of the people.

Turned the first bouy and drafted for a few strokes off some guy, then realizaed that this is a sprint and I don't really need to conserve my energy, so I swam past him.

The swim felt really short - it was over before I knew it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I took my suit off as soon as I was on concrete and carried it on the long run over pavement back to transition. Put glasses, helmet, socks and shoes on and ran my bike out to the mount line.

After seeing the transition area before the race, I thought that this would have been a perfect place to do the shoes on bike mount and a flying dismount, but I hadn't practiced that in a while and didn't bring elastics, so I did it the old fashioned way.
Bike
  • 36m 52s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I almost went the wrong way at the start of the bike, but the volunteer let me know to go left after I started right. The first loop was fine, I could see a few people ahead of me and gained ground steadily. I noticed a mini-peleton a couple minutes behind me after the second turnaround and almost yelled at them to stop drafting.

When I was on the second loop, I was lapping the slower people and many of them were not riding to the right. I passed to the left when I could, but when someone was riding in the middle of the road, I just went to their right. I saw the pace line again, but this time the race official was trailing them and giving out penalties.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

None - pretty standard transition.
Run
  • 19m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started, I could see two people in the distance. I passed one guy at just past the half way mark, but lost sight of the next guy ahead. I saw the number one and two guys on their way back before I hit the turn around loop. Danielle told me as I was running back that I was in 5th place.

My Garmin said 3.00 miles, and my time leads me think the run was a little short.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food and drinks and chatted with some guy about a race he is directing where you run up and down a ski slope - sounds like fun. Waited for Danielle to finish and then for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed training. I'm still sort of recovering from IMWI, and this was my first high intenstity effort in a while.

Event comments:

I had fun at my last tri of the season.

This race was well done for a first race. My critisisms are I think the swim should have been longer and that they could have put the transition area closer to the water and made it bigger to fit the bikes better. Also the timing was not chip based and the results have no transition splits.

The age group awards were very good. I got a nice little titanium bracelet engraved with their tri logo, second prize was a free picture from the race photographer and third got a swim/bike/run key chain.

It was a shame that there were so many cheating drafters on the bike. One of the cheaters was a friend of the race director and during the awards the director made a joke that this guy placed in his age group even with the penalty. If I were the race director, I would have been pissed if one my friends showed up to my race and then cheated.

Last updated: 2007-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:33 | 704 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 7/197
Performance: Good
Suit: Blueseventy Reaction
Course: Triangular course with start and finish on the same spot on the beach. A long run from the beach back to the transition area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:52 | 13 miles | 21.16 mile/hr
Overall: 10/197
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops of a double out and back with a couple small hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:32 | 03.11 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 6/197
Course: Out and back with one decent sized hill to climb.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-26 9:00 PM

User image

Middletown, CT
Subject: Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce Rss Feed