General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Play Tri
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 15s
Overall Rank = 280/371
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am...felt like I was downright lazy after the 4am wake-up from the last race. Ate a bagel, and packed up the car and went. All-in-all a pretty easy and fairly calm morning.
Event warmup:

Didn't do much warming up. Stretched a little. Walked around a bit to figure out all of the transition ins and outs. Finally met some BTers in person!!!!!
Swim
  • 17m 5s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was slightly intimidated about the start, as I've never done a deep water start before, but it was OK. Didn't get kicked around too much at the beginning. My sighting was not good today; kept having to correct my course. Breathing and form felt pretty good to me. The one thing that was hard on the swim, is that I usually feel strongest and fastest on my way back in (mentally just psyched the swim is almost over I guess) but in this race they started the women before the men, so as I was on my way in, quite a few of the men from the wave behind us caught up to us, and I was getting kicked and swam over more than I had at the start...not to mention I felt really slow since so many of the guys passed me.
What would you do differently?:

More swim practice

Sighting practice
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

The run from the water to T1 was SOOOOOOO long. Not to mention there was an unbelieveably steep downhill grassy section which was trecherous. As a matter of fact the first guy out of the water fell going down that hill...it was scary but he got right back up and kept going. I tried to take it easy; maintained a jog but also maintained control on the downhill. Took Dan's transition advice and tried to get everything on and done at once instead of reaching down and standing up several times.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 42m 10s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.08 mile/hr
Comments:

This may have been the windiest conditions I've ridden in so far. I could feel the wind pushing me as it gusted. All I could think of is what it must feel like to have disc wheels. The course started off uphill and into the wind, but was more than balanced halfway through the loop with some nice downhills and tailwind. Saw one poor biker fall going around a corner where there was water on the ground (have no idea what the water was from). Generally speaking, it was a fun course and a really good ride for me. This was my fastest avg. mph during a race (actually it was my fastest avg mph ever!)

Gotta do more hills!!!!!

Spend more time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

A friend of mine was in trasition with me so it was nice to share some encouragement on our way our to run.

Nothing.
Run
  • 33m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah the run, the bane of my existance. I had set a goal of running without walking when I started the race, but I was not prepared for the hills on this course. I generally run in a very flat area so I was huffing and puffing very soon into the run. I did walk a bit on the way out (which was more uphill than down), but once I got through the turn-around and had my HR back down to something manageable I did run the whole way back. And when everything is said and done, it was a fast run for me.

Practice hills. Work on run endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, oranges and a slice of pizza. Stretched a bit. Went to cheer on some new friends and other racers as they finished .(Which is one of my favorite parts of the day. This sport is awesome!!!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill work. Need to continue to build endurance and need to continue to lose weight.

Event comments:

My other goal for the day was to finish in 1:45. My first race of the season was a similar distance and I finished in 1:48. I didn't feel like I was doing well for most of the race so when I finished and my family was going crazy because of my time, I was so psyched. Felt really good to have them there and felt really good to have improved my time so much!!! I am pretty excited about my times today.

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:05 | 820 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/21
Overall: 194/371
Performance: Good
Suit: One-piece trisuit
Course: Rectangular course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:31.3
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:10 | 12 miles | 17.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 265/371
Wind: Strong
Course: 6 mile loop which the sprint did twice and the olympic riders did 4 times. Slightly hilly and very windy but balanced between riding into a headwind and riding with a tailwind. Riding lane was narrow in spots which occassionally forced us into a pack.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:23 | 03.11 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/21
Overall: 328/371
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-30 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-09-30 4:02 PM
in reply to: #984511

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Great job today!!!  Amazing times, too, especially considering the hills!!!  I am sure you will continue to improve for your next one, as you are now an addict......

--Leslie

2007-10-01 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Awesome job!  And congrats on your best mph on the bike!  Especially with the wind!  Keep up the good work!
2007-10-01 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
That was a great race!  Glad you survived the wind and hills!  You should come to Pittsburgh for some hill training! Laughing
2007-10-01 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Mansfield, TX
Always great to have a personal best. Great job. That poor guy who feel might have been me, so thanks for not running over me.
2007-10-01 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job!!!! kicking butt again arent you?

Way to go!

2007-10-01 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Awesome race! Way to kick some butt on not just reaching your goal time, but shattering it. Woohoo!
2007-10-01 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Great job! There were quite a few BT'rs there that day...at least 10 or so...

Great job again, on the race.....Keep it up..

Kenny
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed