Tiburon, California
United States
Pacific Coast Trail Runs
Total Time = 5h 35m 16s
Overall Rank = 7/13
Age Group = F
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this race less than 3 weeks in advance – as preparation for a 50 miler 2 weeks later. After my half-iron 3 weeks prior to the 50K, I was having knee issues, and was not able to run nearly as much as I had planned. So, I was headed into the race feeling ill-prepared, and having logged nearly 40 miles in the week leading up to the race rather than tapering. Oops. I also knew that 6 hours of running was going to hurt, since I hadn’t logged anything over 3 hours in the past month. Again, oops. But if things got bad I could walk, right?

I took a very relaxed approach; I didn’t start packing until 10:30 the night before. Got up at 5:20 on race morning, dressed, and headed out. Stopped at the store on the way out of town for an energy drink (wheeeeeee!) and chocolate milk (yum!!). Parked right around 7am, which was the start time for packet pickup, and moseyed on over to the ferry docks. Got checked in, bought my ferry ticket, and hung around. After a bit I spotted Donato (enginerd), his wife, and buddy Brian (who I met at Big Kahuna). The 4 of us chatted while we waited for the ferry to take us to the island. Finally around 7:50 it was time to board, and everyone was asked to help load the food and gear. Everything went smoothly, and soon we were unloading gear and walking to the picnic area which would serve as start/finish and the sole aid station.

Event warmup:

The 50K course was a 6 loop course – running each of 3 different loops 2 times. Each loop was 8-9km, passing through the picnic area for aid, then headed up some nasty stairs as you set off again. After a bit of waiting for things to get set up, they called the 25K and 50K runners to the start area. We all stripped off our warm clothes, and huddled near the start shivering from the cold. After a brief talk, we were off!
Run
  • 5h 35m
  • 31.07 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I started near the back, since I was treating this like a training run and didn’t want to go out too hard like last time. I could see Donato’s yellow cap getting further and further ahead of me, and by the time we had gone a mile, he had vanished from sight. The beginning of each loop was the same: run up a short incline, then trudge up the stairs. This was OK the first go around, but by the 6th and final loop, I was beginning to curse at them. Many of the stairs forces me to take far larger steps than I wanted, straining my quads too much. Ouchie!

The course turned out to be more scenic than I had anticipated. As we ran around the island, we got views of Oakland/Berkeley, San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Marin. Beautiful! I spent the first loop taking in the views and keeping my pace nice and easy. And the second and third loops too. Headed up to the summit on the third loop, I saw Donato and Brian – both looking strong and going fast! Heading down from the summit of the third loop I was in a pack with 3 of the 25K runners… and blazing down the trail faster than they were, even though they were nearly done and I was only half done. They ran through the finish, and I stopped at the aid station to refill my Camelbak and grab some munchies. Checked my watch as I headed out: 2:41. My previous 50K was run in 6:25, and I was on pace for well below 6 hours. Angel Island had 760’ less elevation gain than my previous 50K, but I had expected to take ~ 6 hours. However the terrain on Angel Island was much better than Salt Point. Almost the entire course was runnable – whereas Salt Point had many sections that were too steep to even think of running.

In the fourth loop things started to go downhill. The first and fourth loops were run primarily on asphalt. Although I do most of my training on asphalt, it still hurt like heck. My pace reflected this as it dropped from ~10:00 to 11:00 pace. Ugh! For the fifth loop, things were slightly better, but my pace was still slow. On the sixth loop, things started to look up. I was still suffering, but I knew this was the last loop and I would soon be done. I tried to push the pace back up – even though I was running uphill. After reaching the summit, I let it fly. The last 4 km were all downhill to the finish and I wasn’t about to waste any energy braking. I was tearing down the trails, bellowing out “runner!” whenever I saw people ahead. Crossed the finish in 5:35:something.

Post race
Warm down:

Quickly got my shirt, and some food, then went to grab a ferry back with Donato. It would have been nice to lounge around at the finish longer, but it would have meant waiting for the next ferry an hour later.

Last updated: 2007-09-28 12:00 AM
Running
05:35:00 | 31.07 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/13
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Angel Island Trail Run

2007-10-01 12:27 PM
in reply to: #985446

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Angel Island Trail Run
jessi, you did an awesome job at the race.  Your light running week sounds like a heavy one for me.  You'll do great at your 50-miler in 2 weeks.  Think about doing the North Face Endurance in December!
2007-10-01 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Awesome race Jess! I still can't fathom running that far, but you do so great at these events. Your pace is amazing. Glad you had a good day !
2007-10-02 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Excellent job.  Not bad for a pick-up race!  You should be proud.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Angel Island Trail Run Rss Feed