Katy, Texas
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 51m 49s
Overall Rank = 536/618
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 40/44
Pre-race routine:

Kylie and I woke up a little late and got on the road about 6ish. When we got to the race site the parking lots were full so we parked on the street. Since we were a little late I rode my bike to transition and Kylie walked. Got to transition in the pitch black and got set up no problem. Looked and saw the chip line was about 17 miles long so I went ahead and left transition to pick up my chip ready to go.
Event warmup:

Well, I had not trained for this race AT ALL so I guess the short bike from car to transition would be my warm up. Really needed to use the portocan but didn't think I had time. Before the swim we ran into Jim (jkron) and talked for a few. He ended up having a great race!
Swim
  • 11m 5s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was pretty uneventful. The course was a little strange shaped. I navigated fairly well. There was one guy who I continuously had problems with. He would sprint out ahead of me and then would breaststroke to catch his breath. Every time he would breaststroke I would catch and run into him and then he would sprint off again. The water was too shallow on the side for me to really try to pass him plus I didn't want to use that energy. I just sat back, swam easy and did not push at all.
What would you do differently?:

Kick the guy in the head and give him a lesson on pacing his self so he didn't keep getting into my way!
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Put on my shoes in transition, no socks. No problems here at all.

Nada
Bike
  • 1h 02m 57s
  • 19 miles
  • 18.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Just past the mount line I hopped on looked down to clip in and almost died. Goofball in front of me cut right in front of me and stopped and I just about mowed right over him. Came out of transition and got comfortable and took a Gu in the first mile. Just sat back and rode comfortable not trying to push anything. The first half hour or so my stomach was really upset and I really wanted to throw up but couldn't. Eventually it calmed down and felt a little better. We train on these roads so it was nice being on some home turf. I got passed quite a bit and passed some as well. Saw some small packs of 2 or 3 drafting and then saw one pack of about 12 in paceline form. Just let them keep on going, if they want to cheat so be it. Around mile 13ish a rider went off the shoulder and down about 20 yards ahead of me. He looked ok so I kept going. About a mile later there was another rider down and had some others around him helping so I kept going there too.

Maybe push a little harder but I really was not trained. Overall I think it went well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

The dismount line was closer than I thought so I only got one foot out in time. Ran in with one bare foot and one shoe. I stopped and took the extra time to put socks on for the run here.

Learn to run without socks.
Run
  • 34m 17s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Bad. Just plain bad. I had the worst abdominal cramp going on that I have ever felt in a run before. Legs were tight for the first mile but the cramping was terrible. Ran slow to the mile 1 aid station and got some water. Continued running slow and walked about 30 seconds in between there and the turn around. Got some more water at the turn around and was feeling a little better. After the mile 2 aid station and more water I was just thankful to be almost done. Closer to the finish it really seemed to drag having to run around the lake when I thought the finish was closer. Gutted it out for a pathetic sprint to the finish when I got close.

I think I might have been dehydrated or the cramp could have been a result of the big cheeseburger I had the night before. This is the slowest 3 mile run I have ever had.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and found Kylie and some other friends I didn't even know were going to be there. Got bike out of transition and headed home. Didn't stick around long.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Complete. Lack. Of. Training.

Event comments:

Personally I preferred last years course to this one. It seemed like there were too many participants in too small of an area. Also, after finishing there were tons of people cleaning out their transition area so I went in a did the same not knowing that there were still competitors coming through. They never should have let us into transition when there were still cyclists on the course! I will probably do it again next year but it is questionable.

Last updated: 2007-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:05 | 400 meters | 02m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 35/44
Overall: 0/618
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:02:57 | 19 miles | 18.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/44
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:17 | 03 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/44
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: Cinco Ranch Triathlon

2007-10-02 10:17 AM
in reply to: #986158

Subject: RE: Cinco Ranch Triathlon
Luke,

No doubt there was some confusion about when you could get into transition. The flag gate near the pavillion somehow got opened and people started pouring in. The announcer repeatedly told people to leave as there were still people on the bike course. I suppose some believe they are above the rules - a shame really.

I was in the 3rd wave off so I had to wait about as long as any (finished at 9:25am) and I don't think the transition area opened until nearly 10:45.

I would rather have a long wait after than before

The bike wasn't too bad for us since we were off early - following the youth and then invitational. It seems those off later had a very tight bike course that led to tons of drafting.
2007-10-02 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Nice job Luke!!

2007-10-02 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Hey there, not too bad a job for someone who has neglected his training so horribly.

Learning to run without socks is easy; just leave 'em off.

2007-10-31 9:37 AM

Master
Houston

Nice effort out there.  I was also in the ealier waves so not too bad on the road.  I too enjoyed last years course more than this one.  The traffic was heavy.  I felt compelled to stay tighter to a group so they wouldn't let cars cross in front of me as a single.

I think this will be the course for next year, then they are moving to the new venue.  I will think about this one before I sing up.

Sorry we missed everyone, maybe next event.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cinco Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed