Pacific Coast Trail Runs
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 11m 47s
Overall Rank = 3/13
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My buddy BK/poweredbyfear was doing the 25K, DW was doing the 16K, and was doing my first 50K. The evening before, my buddy BK came over so we could all leave in the morning together. We picked up some fresh cut spinach fettuccine from our local pasta shop and some porcini mushroom/marinara sauce and some meatballs. DW also made a yummy salad. We chowed down and our bellies were all quite full. Went to bed fairly early (9:30PM) and set the alarm for 5:30AM.

At 5:30AM, I get up and check the weather forecast. Surprisingly, it says 68 degrees and sunny. I know it will be quite cold in the morning on the bay and esp. in the shade at the start of the race, so I opt for running shorts and my Under Armour compression top (which is pretty much what I wore the last time I raced here a year ago in a 12K). I am going to use my new trails shoes that I’ve never worn before…I know you’re not supposed to try anything new on race day, but since these were ASICS 2120 trail shoes and I wear ASICS 2120 road shoes, I was hoping that I’d be safe. These trail shoes seem very much like road shoes except a more aggressive tread, stiffer sole, and presumably more lateral stability.

I make some coffee, some yirgacheffe from Blue Bottle Coffee (a local roaster), and some pumpernickel toast, half with fig jam and half with orange blossom honey. I mix some Carboom drink mix for the water bottle for my pack. I decide to take one bar (zone perfect chocolate mint) and 4 gus (two vanilla bean, two espresso) and my inhaler and two packets of motrin just in case. All three of us finish getting ready and we’re out the door at about 6:30AM (note to self, it always takes us 1 hour to get ready).

BK drives us over to Tiburon where we can check in and catch in the ferry to Angel Island. We make good time so we’re parked and out of the car by just after 7:00AM. We head straight for the coffee shop and DW buys a latte and BK and I purchase some Vitamin Water, the yellow caffeinated one, one of my favorites. There are a few others here who are obviously also here for the trail race. One guy is at the counter asking for anything with bacon, which they don’t have (prosciutto, yes; bacon, no).

There are a good number of runners already here and we check in at registration (I only see about 15 names on the 50K list) and purchase our ferry tickets. Not long after, we see Jessi/jesswah coming over in her day glo yellow pearl izumi cap. She’s also going to use a Camelback on her run. We all chit chat a bit and wait until it’s time to take the ferry over. We’re all asked to help out by carrying some of the supplies onto the ferry (and then from the ferry to the race start area).

We choose to sit downstairs and inside rather than upstairs and outside where it will be quite cool (50s with wind). I’m hungry so BK and I split a Clif Bar (Peanut Toffee Buzz…more caffeine). DW and I are trying to figure out if we are allowed to wear headphones for the race. I had sent an e-mail to the race director a couple days ago, but didn’t get a reply, but he had already told me it was okay on another race for which I had registered through them. Quite a few others had ipods so it’s looking good (my ipod is not loaded with music, but talk radio and podcasts).

It’s a fairly short ride to Angel Island. We disembark carrying along supplies. I also know from our race last year that it also helps to get off the ferry early if you need to go to the bathroom which DW and I both have to do. After going to the bathroom, I’m waiting for DW and HC from the GGTC is coming out of the bathrooms. She’s doing the 25K. We all head over to the race start area with the supplies in tow. It’s quite cold here in the shade, but fortunately, it’s not long before the race starts. The 25K/50K runners are first so I stash my pants and jacket into my drop bad, kiss DW for good luck, and then line up.

Event warmup:

It’s 31 miles...forget the warmup!
Run
  • 5h 11m 47s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

There are about a hundred of us lined up. I lined up not quite in the front. HC and her friend are beside me and BK is just a bit behind them. We’re given some brief instructions on the loops, how they are marked with different colored ribbons (pink, yellow, and orange for the perimeter, middle, and summit loops, respectively) for each loop and striped ribbons for turns. We’re told about how the summit trail has a 400m out and back section to the top before resuming around the island. The race director, Wendell, asks for whom this is their first visit to Angel Island and a few raise their hands. He then asks for whom this is their first ultra and I and a few others raise their hands. Very soon, the countdown begins and we’re off.
I’m running and towards the front of the pack and we get to the initial climb/stairs. I run on the initial climb and BK is right behind me. We hit the stairs and we’re walking. We get to the top and we’re following the pink ribbons on the perimeter road. BK starts falling behind and I keep looking back expecting him to catch up, but I don’t think he’s ready to go that pace or is recovering from the stairs. Some runners already shoot way ahead. I don’t really know how to pace myself for a race like this so I’m going to go purely by RPE.

We pass some of the historic buildings that I know I’ve visited on hikes here before. A few people pass me, but most are doing the 25K (as evidenced by their 2xx race number). There is and older guy in a day glo yellow shirt who’s ahead of me. There’s a blonde woman who passes me. There’s a guy in a red jersey who passes me. There’s a guy in blue also with a partial day glo yellow cap who passes me. Sheesh. I’m thinking there are a lot of hardened ultra/trail runners here.

The perimeter loop is the flattest of all the loops, but there’s a section about 1/3 the way in that has some stairs. So, I’m walking up them. Otherwise, I’m feeling pretty good. We have some beautiful views of the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island. It’s clear out and this is the sunny side so I can feel the warmth of the sun already.

It’s relatively flat so the distance moves along. There’s another section on the perimeter loop that climbs again and I’m walking again. We’re treated to some beautiful views of the city and the Golden Gate Bridge. There’s another steep section and I’m walking again and then a short steep downhill run followed by winding down the mostly shaded singletrack trails for a couple miles to get back down to the cove and the start/aid station/finish area. I grab some boiled potato pieces and dip them in some salt and eat that. I eat some potato chips. I eat some gorp. I slug down some sports drink, grab a cookie and some water and I’m walking to start the next loop.

I pass the bathrooms and duck in for a quick pit stop and I’m back on my way. I hit the climb/stairs again. I walk up them and once I get to the top, it’s time to follow the yellow ribbons. The yellow/middle loop and the orange/summit loop follow the same section for a bit. It’s up for a little while until we hit a turn onto a road where the orange/summit trail heads upward and the yellow/middle loop continues around. There are a few runners (presumably the 8K) coming down this way and I’m confused. I didn’t think the out and back section for the summit trail included this part (but I don’t know exactly since I haven’t run it yet), but since there are so few of them I’m guessing they screwed up and missed the real return trail after coming back down from the summit.

After all of this climbing, the middle loops is fairly level as it winds its way around the island. Most of this is on a road that is at times asphalt and at times covered in chucks of dirt. We’re treated to even better views since we’re a bit higher up and as we come around the island, we also get a nice view of Tiburon and Belvedere. Then it’s a couple miles back down again to get back to the cove.

I pretty much repeat my routine at the aid station and also refill my water bottle with some water. I also consume one of my vanilla bean gus and carry another cookie with me. I also stop off at the bathroom again (as I will on each loop) and then it’s back to the climb/stairs to start the third loop. Just walking these stairs pushes my heartrate up. At the top of the stairs, it’s follow this upward stretch that is shared with the middle loop until it branches upwards. All this uphill is still pretty mild to me so I’m able to run it all. I pass a few people on this stretch. Some of these trails seems so familiar to me from the 12K last year and from hikes. I reach the part of the trail where it has the out and back to the summit. Here’s a chance to see where some of the other racers are. On my way up, I see 3 of the guys who are doing the 50K coming down (in addition to all the 25K racers) – the day glo yellow shirt guy, a guy without a shirt, and the half day glow yellow cap guy. I greet each runner with a “good job” or something similar. I run to the top, run around the little sign with the Orange Return sign, and run back down without pausing to enjoy the view. On my way down, I see BK coming up and a little after him, I see Jessi coming up.

After coming back down the out and back, there’s clearly a sign that tells you which way to return. This loop takes me around and treats me to some amazing views. Soon enough, it’s back to the trails down. I hear someone coming up fast on me. It’s one of the women I passed on the up section who is just flying down the trail. She’s a 25Ker so she’s on her home stretch. I can’t believe how fast she is.

So, I get back to start/aid station/finish area and DW is there to take a photo of me.

I’m at the food table and BK is right behind me (he says he somehow accidentally cut off part of the course) finishing his race. Half day glo yellow cap guy is here too. Okay, I slug down more food and drink and refill my bottle. I’m thinking, geez, I’m only halfway done and now I have to do it all again. I head out and head to the bathroom. I’m quick and I’m back out and half day glo yellow cap guy is just ahead of me on the climb/stairs. I run for a little longer and start talking to him and he waits up just a bit for me and we walk up together. His name is Martin. I ask him if he’s done the race before, what other races he’s done, etc. I tell him this is my first and he’s impressed with how fast I’m going. We’re both doing the SF One Day in 3 weeks so I’ll see him there. We run along together on this loop, the fourth loop (perimeter loop), for awhile. It’s nice chatting with someone. We talk about shirtless guy and how far ahead he was and we’re not sure who is else is ahead or behind us.

There is 16 miles of course and there are only about 15 of us doing the 50K so we’re pretty spread out.

The pace is feels fairly relaxed for me so after we pass the second section of walking, I decide to pick up the pace and leave Martin behind. I still feel pretty good. There’s a pack of bicyclists and they ask me what mile I’m on and I tell them 19. After awhile, I catch up to day glow yellow shirt guy too and pass him up. I take an espresso gu somewhere along the backside on this loop to give me a little kick. As I reach the third walking section, I can look back and see day glow yellow shirt guy and Martin is nowhere to be seen. It’s a short steep down and then a couple miles back down to the start/aid station/finish area again.

DW is there to take photos.

I do my same routine at the aid station and I’m off again. HC has finished her race and she’s offering my some twizzlers. I thank her, but since I’ve already passed her I pass. I go to the bathroom and then it’s on to the climb/stairs again. This loop is mostly a blur, but I do remember feeling a bit sluggish on this loop. The fatigue is starting to really set in. I do lap one guy who wishes me a good race. After that all I remember is getting back to the aid station once again.

BK is there and says he is going to run the last loop, the summit loop, with me. I eat, drink, refill my water bottle. I stop off at the bathroom and then it’s on to the climb/stairs. I slug down another espresso gu. Having BK there is nice. On to the orange/yellow trail. I don’t feel particularly fast, but I don’t feel quite as weary. BK gives me some encouragement and tells me I’m doing well. Now we’re on to the orange trail. We pass someone who is walking. We continue upward until we finally reach the out and back to the summit. As I near the summit, shirtless guy is just coming down. We tell each other good job. At one point close to the summit, I start walking. BK says he’s thankful that I did since he was ready to stop. We go up to the top, circle quickly around and then back down (BK later said he hoped we’d stop and enjoy the view).

Now we’re back on the level and I’m feeling good (that espresso gu has started to kick in). I can see that we’re slowly reeling in shirtless guy. He’s starting to look back to see where we are. We get close to him and he pulls aside and lets us pass. I wish him a good race and he says he’ll see me at the finish in a few. Now we’re on the downhill stretch and I kick it into high gear. I am flying down the trail. BK can barely keep up. It’s down, down. After about a mile, I can feel the accumulated fatigue setting in and I’m slowing just a bit. My quads and hamstrings are both tired. I’m starting to curse a bit. BK tells me to hang in there and that we’re almost there. Time seems to slow down and it seems to take longer to get back than I remember. Finally, finally, I see the signs of the last few turns. BK pulls beside me and eggs me on to a strong finish. I muster whatever I have and finish strongly.

Post race
Warm down:

DW is there and take my picture and congratulates me. I sit down, which feels great. DW brings me my drop bag and I take off my shoes, which also feels great, and put on my flip flops. I stretch. One of the race workers brings a t-shirt and two coasters over to me – one coaster is a ultra finisher coaster for the race and the other is a first time ultra finisher. Cool. I ask Bryan to check and see how I finished. He comes back and tells me number 3. Very cool.

Shirtless guy finishes a few minutes behind me and we chat it up. I find out his name is Dan. I eat some chicken soup. I stretch some more. I find out Dan is also going to do the SF One Day so I’ll see him there also. After awhile Jessi finishes (the second woman) and then a little after her Martin. We catch the ferry back and talk about the race. After we get back to Tiburon, Jessi decides to head back home and DW, BK, Dan, and I go back to the coffee shop to have lunch. I have a grilled turkey, gruyere Panini as does BK and DW has a Mediterranean salad. We just hang out (we’re seated outside on this beautiful day) and talk about races, training, and what a great day it’s been.

Last updated: 2007-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
05:11:47 | 31.07 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 3/13
Performance:
Course: The Angel Island Trail Run put on by the Pacific Coast Trail Runs organization. It takes place on Angel Island in San Francisco Bay and has 8K, 16K, 25K, and 50K options. There are 3 loop trails – the perimeter loop, the middle loop, and the summit loop. Each loop is traversed clockwise around the island and starts with a fairly lengthy stair climb. The 8K race does the summit loop. The 16K race does the middle and the summit loops. The 25K race does all 3 loops and the 50K race does all 3 loops twice. The 50K race has a total of about 4300’ of elevation
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-02 10:05 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: Angel Island Trail Run

2007-10-02 10:10 PM
in reply to: #987358

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Angel Island Trail Run
Excellent job on our 1st ultra!! You da man
2007-10-02 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Donato, congrats on your first ultra. The pics you post in your race report's really add to the story. Thanks for sharing and best of luck these next couple weekends.
2007-10-03 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great race report and pictures! Congrats on your 3rd overall , that is awesome
2007-10-04 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Awesome race and as always a culinary delight reading your race report.  What is Gorp?

Looks like you had perfect weather, support and tasty treats for your first 31 miler.  I thought the pictures were great, especially the one of you and the dumbsters (classic, HA!)

Way to go!

2007-10-05 3:33 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Thanks everyone for the kind words and your support.

Tom, gorp, originally stood for "good old raisins and peanuts" or something like that.  The gorp mix at the race (and the one I usually see) was M&Ms, raisins, and peanuts.  It's a backpacker thing (calories!), or at least that's from where I knew it originally. 

2007-10-08 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
What a great RR! Sounds like an amazing race and day! Congratulations on such a great start to your Ultra racing. It looks like you're going to follow your stellar performances in Tri's straight to Ultra's. Great job and congratulations.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Angel Island Trail Run Rss Feed