United States
Squash Blossom Classic
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 9s
Overall Rank = 16/34
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Prepped gear the night before. Had waffles for breakfast. Did some work around the house before heading out to the race sight. One last check on bike prior to starting.
Event warmup:

Did some riding to loosen up the legs.
Bike
  • 45m 9s
  • 7 miles
  • 9.30 mile/hr
Comments:

This race was a part of a weekend festival which included Road races (road race, time trial, criterium) various levels of mountain bike races, an off-road 1/2 marathon and an off-road 5k run.

Decided to enter the race just a couple of days before hand after hearing about a couple of friends who were going to do it.

The race began with a group start. The first 1.3 miles was uphill on a gravel road, which thinned out the pack before turning onto the singletrack. Course was fairly non technical, the biggest hazards were the sand, a couple of sharp turns and a couple of drops in and out of arroyos.

I get out on this course a handful of times each year, so I had a fairly good feel for the coourse. I wasn't used to there being as much sand as there was and I think it was a factor when I crashed into the tree.

Had some minor technical difficulties with my chain skipping on the rear cogs when climbing or hitting a certain cadence, and at one point I had a funky chain jam that required a quick dismount before I could clear it. I did a running remount that I was proud of, and caught up with the people who passed me.

I finished the race with a time I was content with. I don't really get out on the trails much.
What would you do differently?:

Yield right of way to the tree. Maybe push it a little harder at the start for better group position on the single track.
Post race
Warm down:

Loaded up and went home. Got a phone call from a friend saying I took 3rd place in my division (her husband finished behind me in 4th). Went downtown that night to watch the criterium races, pick up my packet for the next days 5k race, grab my nickel size lasagna dinner, and collect my 3rd place medal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not a lot of time on the trails this year. Also minor technical issues with the bike, that I might have been aware of and remedied if I had been out on the trails more often.

Last updated: 2007-09-28 12:00 AM
Biking
00:45:09 | 07 miles | 9.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/34
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: High Desert Trail - First Mesa Off-Road course ranging from gravel road to single track
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right