General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Olympic Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 31s
Overall Rank = 24/250
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/23
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race venue, parked the car and headed into the transition area. I was very happy to find that the bike racks were marked per-number. Transition had opened the night before, and I was afraid that I would have a hard time finding a bike spot.

It was dark for at least an hour after I arrived, but it was hot enough even n the dark that I was sweating just sitting around relaxing, waiting for the race to start.
Event warmup:

I ran for ~10 mins at an easy pace, followed by ~10 mins of easy swimming.
Swim
  • 30m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've been having problems with my swim all year. I knew I wasn't going to have a killer swim, but this was still 3 mins faster than the Austin tri.

For the most part, I felt pretty good. I paced and breathed well. This was probably my worst performance yet when it comes to sighting, though. I kept getting far to the left of the buoys. I probably could have cut another minute off by going straighter.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to train the swim harder. I find that I don't enjoy pool swimming enough to do it as much as I should.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I had a good transition. I ran pretty hard from the lake, and didn't have to do a lot in the transition area. I had the top T1 in my AG. by 6 seconds.

Nothing. It went well.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 59s
  • 23 miles
  • 21.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a pretty good ride. I kept the pace pretty hard, but eased off toward the end enough to hit the run hard (or so I thought at the time). I wasn't passed at all during the ride, but passed plenty of people.

I'll train the hills harder for next year. On paper, it didn't look as difficult as it was in reality.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I was 4th in AG on this transition. I had to pause for a minute while putting the shoes on. I felt great on the bike, but started to get a bit dizzy right after jumping off and running through transition.
Run
  • 52m 18s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I pretty much blew up on the run. I knew I was in trouble about a mile in. I started to get my legs back after starting at about an 8 min pace, but was not feeling well overall. It was VERY hot and humid by this point. I pretty much just had to hang in on the run to make it through it.

By the end, I was struggling just to maintain my pace and was unable to kick in a sprint to finish. I lost close to 10 mins from my goal pace on the run.

I'm not sure that there was a lot that I could have done about the heat, but I should have had more to drink on the bike. I was trying to keep my stomach from cramping up and didn't empty my bottle.
Post race
Warm down:

My head was pounding, and my stomach was nauseated at the finish. I pretty much just dropped to the grass and sat for 3-4 minutes. I was either dehydrated, overheating or feeling the effects of the cold that I had just come down with the night before. More than likely it was a combination of the three.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Heat
2. Humidity
3. Sickness

Event comments:

The race was very well organized. I wasn't particularly thrilled with the venue or course, but they weren't necessarily bad either (thus the rating of 4 instead of 5). The HIM course is actually quite a bit nicer, though.

I will likely do the race again next year, although I'm not sure which distance I'll do.

Last updated: 2007-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/23
Overall: 83/250
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: I was happy to find that the course was a single loop, instead of two loops (including a jog from the end to start) as had been advertised previously. The water was very warm and not exactly clean. There were weeds about a foot under the surface for about 100 yards out from the dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:59 | 23 miles | 21.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 14/250
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was two laps around the lake. The course was never flat, but was either gentle up/down, rolling, or hard hills. Overall, this was a difficult course for me, being heavy and not so great at hills.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:52:18 | 06.2 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/23
Overall: 58/250
Performance: Bad
Course: The course was 2 laps of the sprint course. It was mostly off-road on the grass and wound throughout the park. It included a couple of good climbs. Overall, this was a difficult course.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-11 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Olympic Distance Rss Feed