Endurofun Sports
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 06m 21s
Overall Rank = 24/26
Age Group = Aquabike 0-99
Age Group Rank = 13/15
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Austin Friday night, and checked into BT central. Dinner with 5 other BT'ers. Just to show how much we were all trying to stay off our feet, we drove the 200 yards to the resturant! Saturday was at the race site jockstrapping for the Sprint and Oly. After the race we had lunch and Whole foods, then picked our bikes and swim gear to get in a quick open water swim, and a little spin before racking the bikes. Swim was totally uneventful, and I thought we were checking out the worst hill on the course. I thought this wasn't bad at all. Racked our bikes, and headed out for the BT dinner. 40+ people at Buca de Beppo. Sue scared me when she said..."Oh, you didn't go around the corner? Thats where the big hill is" Visions of Alp 'de Huez filled my mind for the rest of the night.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site plenty early to make sure that we got a parking spot in the park, got body marked, set up transition, and hydrated until race start. Aaron and I were the last wave, so there was plenty of time to wait.
Swim
  • 56m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

The Aquabike started with the Relay teams. I knew that the Realy swimmers were hired guns, so I knew I wouldn't see any of them for long, but I figured that i'd at least stay somewhat close to a few of the others. About 150yds out, they were all gone.ok, no big deal, just swim. by now I knew there would be no feet to hold onto at all. I could see one guy about 20yds off to my left, so I at least knew there was someone around. By the time I reached the first turn bouy, I caught a pick cap from the wave before me. I was happy about that! The backstreatch was a very long straight, but there was a nice tall communications tower to site off of, so it was easy to stay on line. about 1/2 way across the back I got my only hit of the swim. I was passing someone and got a pop on the back, but that was it. By the time I reached the last turn bouy, I had passed 2-3 pink caps, and 2 green caps. The last 250ish yards, I picked off another 3 green caps, and a red cap. I felt really comfortable and controlled on the swim, so I was expecting to come out of the water in the mid to upper 40's. When I got out and looked at my watch, I couldn't believe it had been as long as it said. Im hoping the swim was a little long. Im not disappointed though, becasue I never broke stroke, never turned onto my back, never had a goggle problem, just swam.
What would you do differently?:

I guess swim faster? I don't know what that would have cost me later, but I can't say I struggled, because I didn't
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

Transition was about 150yds from the water, and up a gradual climb, so no rest from the swim here. I ran the majority of the hill, saw Patrick and Chris, and then got to the aid station, grabbed a water, and made my way into transition. Socks on, shoes on, Jersey on, Gu, put nutrition in pockets, helmet, gloves, go!

hurrying would have saved me some time, but not much in the grand scheme. I wasn't really worried about it.

I was 19th fastest in T1
Bike
  • 4h 05m
  • 57 miles
  • 13.96 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, this was the fun part! out of transition, past the expo and out Decker was totally uneventful. I saw 2 peoples day would be a bit of a problem when I saw 2 gel flasks on the road. one in the first mile, and one right after the railroad tracks. I later found out that was Aarons. Passed 2 girls on Decker and was feeling really good. I was takling it easy, even though I didn't want to. 10 mile mark comes up...wow that was fast. thru the first hand up, grabbed a water, refilled my aero bottle, took a nice long drink, and tossed the rest. Mile 20 comes up....damn this seems to be going really fast! Then the first of my interesting experiences.....riding up a small incline, mouth open, and something flies into it....damn. quickly blow out and I feel a sting. What had flown in was a yellow jacket. He stung the inside of my lip on the way back out. I kept moving as I felt inside my mouth for the stinger. sure enough it was still in my lip, so I pulled it out and tossed it. I knew I wasn't allergic so I wasn't concerned about having problems, so I figured there was no reason at all to stop. Almost immediately my lip started to swell. When I made it to the aid station at mile 24 I asked then how bad my lip was swollen, and they told me it was pretty bad. In hindsight I wish i'd asked one of the kids to take a picture with their phone and send it to me so I could see. in the next few miles the swelling had gotten so bad, I could actually see my lip. ok, the rest has to get better. Miles 20-30 went pretty quickly. it was mostly flat to rolling with the exception of a great downhill that I hit 40.1 mph on. Around mile 30 I had another 1st. All of the sudden, I thought to myself...I think im going to throw up...and sure enough out it comes. Never felt bad before or after, and the whole experience lasted maybe 5 seconds. It all happened so fast, im not even sure I broke cadence. miles 30-40 were probably the worst roads, and the worst rollers of the ride. Around mile 40, as we we were heading up the longest uphill, I was passing one of the 2 people I eventually beat, I could feel my quads starting to revolt. it was one of those cramping sensations that you know that if you keep doing what you're doing, you're legs are going to lock up. I stopped, got off the bike, and both quads absolutely locked up. I stretched them out for a good 90sec to 2 minutes, and off I go. I hit an energy low around miles 42-48, remember the throwing up? water and nutrition. for some reason just before the last aid station, energy back, and im off to the races again. then climbing another hill right around mile 50, I got really bad cramping in my quads again. stopped and stretched again, and then off. the rest of the ride was not as interesting. The last mile or so from transition wew go up a hill, and as im about 1/2 way up, im thinking...this isn't so terrible. I hope this is the feared hill. then a few seconds later....no, you can see the real last hill. It was the worst. Not too long, but steeper than most we've gone up today. This hill was right next to an equally awful hill on the run, so as I was going up, I was getting cheered on by the people who were all now walking the hill. that was nice. turn the corner, and find that im about 100yds from transition! waiting at the top of the hill was Bill, Lynn, Patrick and Aaron. cross the timing mat, and im done. Aaron followed me in, and became my manservant for the few minutes. He took my bike, my helmet, and immediately wanted to know everything. Thanks buddy!

well.....not get stung for one. Not throw up all the fluids and nutrition which would end up getting me later with the cramps.
Post race
Warm down:

explain my lip, tell my stories, and find out about Aarons day. Since everyone else was still out running, wew had plenty of time to eat ice cream, drink lots, and just enjoy the experience. We started seeing more and more BT'er going by so we immediately became the jockstraps for the runners. Im so happy that everyone did so incredible today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my weight, and fluid intake for the day.

Event comments:

Keith is the real deal. He puts on an outstanding race. I can't wait till Galveston!

Last updated: 2007-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:56:06 | 2112 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/15
Overall: 25/26
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: inverted triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:05:00 | 57 miles | 13.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 24/26
Performance: Average
Really please with the HR data. I stayed in high zone 2 for the majority of the
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-11 10:03 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Subject: Longhorn

2007-10-11 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1003898

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Longhorn
I am so proud of you babe!
2007-10-11 10:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-12 6:35 AM

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race Steve!  Didn't David get stung on Saturday too?  Those yellowjackets were everywhere.  Good to see you guys again.

Congrats!

2007-10-12 8:06 AM

Master
Red Sox Nation

WOW!!!!  Incredible!  Great job working through some tough issues!  You're going to rock IMAZ!!! 

p.s.  <---- My 1300 post!  Couldn't do it in a nicer Forum! 

2007-10-12 9:06 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job! Especially considering you switched to the Auqabike just the week before (or days before?)!

Congratulations!

Now... onto IM training... and I'll be there cheering you across the finish line at IMAZ!

2007-10-12 9:19 AM

Champion
MA

Wow...lots you overcame with a great attitude.

Nice job and glad you were able to finish with all that came your way. Very cool to share a great day with so many BTers plus Keith puts on awesome races.

Congrats! 

2007-10-12 10:51 AM

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice job out there.  Congrats.

TJ

2007-10-12 6:46 PM

Regular
I'm impressed that you kept going after the sting, much less after the throwing up.  Great job out there, I'm really proud of you!!!
2007-10-12 8:36 PM

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job staying so strong despite the bee sting and throwing up on the bike! Congratulations on a solid race!

It was nice to meet you (again) at the dinner. Best of luck with your Ironman training!
2007-10-13 9:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Next time swallow the bee  They have lots of stored energy.  Way to take it and keep going. 

2007-10-15 10:33 AM

Veteran
Texas
Great job, Steve! Way to persevere with the bee sting and the throwing up! It was good chatting with you at the BT dinner!
2007-10-16 11:33 PM

Nasty, but well done!
Atleast you didn't hurl during the swim (fish drink that water ya know.) Hooray for Aquabike!

2007-10-17 2:20 PM

Expert
Hawaii
Dude, you got stung by a bee, threw up, and the kept going with a positive attitude.  Awesome!
2007-10-17 10:06 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Hats off to anybody that can spit bee, spew, and maintain perfect cadence. Great job especially considering the adversity you conquered!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longhorn Rss Feed