United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 53s
Overall Rank = 3/14
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Drove down from Maine directly to Lynn Woods. We got there about an hour in advance and that was barely enough time to register, set-up and warm-up on some of the trail. We had no idea what the course would be like!
Event warmup:

Drink water/gatorade. Ate a hammer gel about 25 minutes before the start. I KNOW I shouldn't get psyched out by the other women - but when I look around and see so many tall, thin, beautiful women, I start to feel dumpy and slow.
Run
  • 21m 33s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I tripped and fell after I crested the first hill. Good thing I was wearing my bike gloves - my hands would have gotten scraped up. I skinned both knees, and I got a weird cramp high in my stomach area. Quite a few people passed me after that - I think it took me a solid two minutes to find my pace again. I saw another woman trip and fall but she got it worse than I did 'cause she was walking afterwards.
What would you do differently?:

Be more confident of my abilities - my conviction that I wouldn't do well prevented me from pushing the run harder.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No splits for transitions but I think I picked up one person in transition.
Bike
  • 29m 48s
  • 5.9 miles
  • 11.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed pretty hard. I was 31 out of 59 overall on the bike. Pretty good! I passed one woman on the flats. - and she tried to re-pass me on a hill. I went into granny gear too early, and she cruised right up next to me. I told her that she was strong, and she replied that she had a lighter bike. I begged to differ - my bike is really light. It is a hard tail with front suspension that doesn't really work anymore. It is a Cannondale F1000. She looked over at my bike and agreed that my bike was light (she was on a hard tail too). Then I kicked it and dropped her. No other woman passed me on the bike portion. Many men passed me, but I passed many men and women.

I blew a few shifts but overall I was happy with my ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No splits for transistions but I don't think I gained or lost places in this transition.
Run
  • 23m 34s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I was tired and I felt slow. I was happy that I wasn't in last place but was worried that skads of people would pass me. Many men did, but no women passed me on the run. I stumbled a few times but managed to stay on my feet.

Sigh...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my hubby. He was not happy with his performance. This was his first multi-sport event - and he had disregarded my advice to try a brick before race day. He felt really wiped out in the first transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same old stuff - weight, short little legs, I am way more curvier than the fast women.

Event comments:

I was dissappointed in the bike course. It was all fire roads! You could have raced it on a crossbike easily, and maybe even on a road bike with different tires. No technical skills were needed. This was a race for runners, I think.

There were 59 racers overall. 14 were women and interestingly, half of the women were in my F40-49 age group. The winning woman was 50, second place was 37 and I came in third at age 45. I guess the young women stayed home with the kids...

For being overall 3rd, I won $25!! I paid $35 to race but won $25!

Last updated: 2007-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:33 | 02.5 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 3/14
Performance: Good
Course: Starts with about a 200 yards on asphalt and then you climb up a longish hill on fire roads. There was only one 200 yard section of single track with steps near the halfway mark.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:29:48 | 05.9 miles | 11.88 mile/hr
Overall: 2/14
Performance:
Wind:
Course: All fire roads, not very technical. A few good hills. Time includes T1 time.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:34 | 02.5 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 3/14
Performance:
Course: Same course as first run. This includes transition times.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-10-13 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: Down and Dirty Duathlon

2007-10-13 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1006615

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: Down and Dirty Duathlon
Oh, I forgot to mention that I won $25 for being 3rd Overall Woman! I also got a medal for overall category, but they didn't give me medal for age category.
2007-10-14 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Cool race! Cheap! And you won money! Curvy means you have more muscles!!! Good Job!
2007-10-15 6:45 PM

User image

Good end to your season, I'm sorry that the race didn't fit in with my schedule
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Down and Dirty Duathlon Rss Feed