General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing tri's purely for the fun it.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-10-20 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1016435

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Doing tri's purely for the fun it....

totally for fun.

and to check out the ladies. 

2007-10-20 5:40 PM

Expert
SSMinnow - I could see myself going down that same road, too. But for now, tri's have presented so many new challenges - such as

• learning how to swim
• staying uninjured
• facing my fears/negative thoughts

So that merely completing each competition is a (personal) victory.

And yes it would be good to get faster too ;-)

2007-10-20 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1016777

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-20 7:23 PM

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
I didn't realize how competitive I am deep down. I don't particularly like being passed - especially by someone much older or heavier. But I keep it in perspective when I see those first place finishers - you know those peeps - the ones running 7 min miles, swimming at 1.2 pace, and biking at 23 mph. I'm over 40 and although I am improving, and I can improve lots with swimming and biking... but I'm probably never going to get to that level (thus quelling my ultimate competitive nerve endings) so I look at it as fun. Ok, so maybe I'd like to place in my AG but dang, it would be fun doing that - not work. I tend to get worse if I take it too seriously (if that makes sense)... I get too nearsightedly focused and implode. Heck, I have my health and CAN do this...so however long this ride lasts, I'll enjoy it!
2007-10-20 8:38 PM

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
You know that 30mil a year salary plus the endorsement deals are really attractive but... Wait.... That is baseball.

I do this sport completely for me. If you ever have the time and look back through the threads you see that people really feel that this is a self absorbed sport. That means that it is time away that is all about you. Why not make it fun?

I compete against the clock and want to beat my last time. I want the better split. I do not care about the other people in the race because it is me against the clock. But, I do this more for the training than I do it for the race. I like being fit and trying to be fitter. I like improving myself... The race is just a different proving ground.

You have to enjoy getting out there. You have to enjoy the early morning sunrises. You have to enjoy the changing seasons. You have to do this for you... Not anyone else
2007-10-20 9:35 PM

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Depends on the season and the race. If I am having a good season, good training, feeling good, I will race to beat my previous times. However, if there are other factors that I can't control, I just kick back and have a good time. For example, I couldn't change the fact that I had bronchitis, had to have an injection for shoulder bursitis, or the lack of water in the Chicago Marathon, but regardless, I had a pretty good time. In fact, in most of the pics, I am the only one smiling!

2007-10-20 10:04 PM

Right now, I'm doing this just for myself. To see how far I can get. At this point, it's not about beating anyone - I've never been an athlete in my life - dancing is athletic, but in a completely different way. I never played sports growing up and I pretty much sucked at all of them - or at least I was led to believe I sucked at them - because that is what happens to girls; if you're not a "jock", well, then you suck. So really this is just prove to myself, and to people who've doubted me, that I can do this. But I'm not about to give up my social life, my relationships, etc just for this sport. Maybe if I'd started off competing at a young age and had a shot at REALLY competing, it'd be another thing. But I don't really see myself being a total ascetic and giving up everything. And it's fine if that's someone's deal, but I don't think that makes that person "better" than those of us who just do it for fun, or to see how far we can push ourselves. My rule of thumb with anything like this is if it ever stops being fun (consistently, not just periods of fatigue, etc), then it's time to move on, because it's not worth it if you aren't enjoying it.  
2007-10-20 10:18 PM

Champion
Henderson NV
Minnow,  I to lost perspective and just did a posting on that subject.  I was having fun until I saw the rankings and then I bum out.  It was pointed out to me how far I have come in a year and Heck yeah I have done alot.  Is this fun?  Dang right it is.   Is it competitive?   Yeppers,  but I am going to concentrate on just being a better me and let the rankings fall where they may.
2007-10-21 1:01 AM

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Perspective only comes with time and experience. Fun is in the joy of the journey and remembering that this is just a freakin' "game!".

Tri's are like a mini summer vacation for adults! Going to the lake to swim, riding your bike, running around chasing everyone else - sounds like summertime when I was 12! If you can't have fun doing that, go do something else!

Keeping it in perspective? Perspective comes from the hug of your child who doesn't care where you finished, or even that you started, but just that you're "you." Savor THAT moment!!

Podium? Not even thinkin' about it....

2007-10-21 6:49 AM

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Lots of great perspectives from fellow-BT'ers, thanks!

I really do love the training and I really like heading into a brand new race wth nervous energy, but not being totally freaked out by whether I will hit a certain time (like I am with running these days) or be the top three in my AG. Looking back, I started running with no care in the world, but to finish, but the better I got, the more competitive I became.

When (not if) I finish my first tri this Spring I will remind myself how far I have come (barely able to put my head under water at the pool wall) and I will keep this mantra in mind:

"I'm in it to complete, not compete!"

I hope by picking different race venues, distances and relays, I can keep it fun and light (e.g. like no previous time to beat) because at 44 yo I am in it for the long haul and hope to be doing these things into old age.

Thanks

Suzy

2007-10-21 8:38 AM

Champion
MA

I struggle with this all the time...fun vs. time/pace/placement.

For me bottom line if I don't have fun I shouldn't do it. I'm just a MOP to BOP middle aged Mom to 5. Never going to be a super star; doing this for fitness and to have fun. I get caught up in numbers, do excel spreadsheets comparing this and that..just sort of how I'm wired. But I'm trying to stop that.

I am way to competitive with myself. My coach helps remind me over and over we do this for fun and I need to enjoy the journey and racing more. We actually do our best when we are in a playful type mood at races and I have found this to be so true as compared to the I need to hit xxx pace or split on my s/b/r. When I get caught up in numbers and race with them as the focus I do worse; take away my gadgets..HRM, bike computer and race by feel and enjoy myself out there I actually do better as it is just me and my body doing the best I can do at that moment and isn't that really all I can ask of myself?

I've made progress at enjoying things more...my A race I was 5 minutes slower than last year but felt I did great (injuries/bike crash set back my run/swim and it was hot). I was thrilled for my run as I didn't cramp, moved up from the bottom 100 folks compared to previous year about even though I was slower. Best part is I enjoyed the run as I talked with fellow competitors and enjoyed competing. I even had some young 30 year old guys say they were pacing off me and I dropped them...it was sweet for me.

My first HIM, I did w/o gadgets other than my power meter set at power, cadence, and HR so I didn't have a clue to my pace. I executed everything as planned in my race plan on a hot day, felt proud to have done so, but was disappointed with my time as I was slower than I guessed I would have been worst case. Thinking about it I came to peace with it as it was a record high, it was humid, bike course was windy, reality is I was lucky I could race given my bike crash less than 4 months before, the experience was good and I should be proud of what I did not be disappointed that I was 6 minutes slower than I had hoped.

Next year I'm doing my first IM and my goal is to finish before 17 hours..I want no other time goals as it will take away from the enjoyment of the day. It is a big enough deal just to do it and finish. Other thing I'm doing next season is to do all new races so I can't compare me to me. Each race will be new and exciting and I can be a bit more judge free about my results.

Just comparing time can be so misleading. Do the same race 2 years in a row...time only reveals part of what happened out there race day. What about the weather? For me weather plays a huge factor..hot/humid I'm slower. Was the swim course long or short? How was your stress levels in life going into the races? My husband reminds me we aren't like machines and expect to get certain results.

I think this is a big issue often overlooked in racing. Thanks for bringing it up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing tri's purely for the fun it.... Rss Feed  

of 2