Floro-Baama
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 4s
Overall Rank = 49/92
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

I didn't have much of a breakfast due to me not planning. Ate some peanut butter ritz crackers and the driest cliff bar I have ever eaten.

Found Ken and his crew, which included Marcy, Hammer and a few others :) .
Event warmup:

Rode the bike for 2 miles then promptly cooled down while I waited for the start. I don't know why I even ever warm up. At least I knew the bike was working properly.
Run
  • 49m 10s
  • 5.6 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was really good for me. It includes my transition time so it is even better than it looks :)

Totally happy here. I never felt out of breath or tired.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I even drank some water at 3 of the stations.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 59m 54s
  • 18.55 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr
Comments:

On the way out I tried to keep up with Marcy but she stayed just out of reach. There was a cross wind in this direction. I had it over 20 for my average this direction

On the way back I got a cramp in both calves. I drank some powerade on the bike and eased up. I didn't want to have to stop and the plan got me to the end.

I was in the 17mph range for the ride home...but even without the cramps I don't think I could have went over 18.5.

I will also point out here that I was 43rd on bike out and 45 on bike in so I didn't drop off all that much despite the cramps.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really. I didn't want to blow my wade this early in the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Pretty much ended my race by stepping off my bike and putting it in the truck. With the cramp issue going on I was already warmed down comfortably and was able to cross the finish line almost as fresh as I left :)

Event comments:

I should have ridden my tri-bike more before taking to this race. I am sure that my cramps were from me not riding it specifically that much.

After the race it was fun talking, eating, and drinking with the Floro-Bama crew.

I finished 10 out of 11 but I am very satisfied with that. The level of athlete was a notch above most of the "sprint" or shorter course duathlons. The average bike was well above entry level, which is a good way to begin to gauge it.

Weather was perfect also, which I think helped my run. Going sub 9 was a pleasant surprise. I didn't wear a watch or GPS and went on exertion. In fact I'm going to go re-double check to see if I really did that.

Last updated: 2007-09-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:10 | 05.6 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 54/92
Performance: Good
Course: It was around a lake/wetland area. Lots of curves so you never had that feeling of a long run... the end could be *just* around the curve... or next... or next...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:59:54 | 18.55 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Overall: 0/92
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: This was a point to point bike, run, point to point bike, done. Remember this is a *reverse* duathlon. One overpass which is fairly big but not all that bad since we only had to go 9ish miles each way.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Overall: 0/92
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-20 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Subject: Hot to Trot Reverse Duathlon

2007-10-20 10:19 PM
in reply to: #1017174

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Hot to Trot Reverse Duathlon
Great job Matt! It was great to meet you, and hope to see you again at another fun event. It was gerat!
2007-10-22 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1017174

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Hot to Trot Reverse Duathlon
Great to see you again. Your fun to hang around and my wife even likes you! I am sorry that you beat me. I guess I need that swim differential. Stay out of the water. Hope to see you racing over this way again next year. We are thinking about doing the mardi gras half next year and maybe they will have a tri in New Orleans again one day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hot to Trot Reverse Duathlon Rss Feed