General Discussion Race Reports! » Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
Detroit Free Press / Flagstar Bank
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 13m 29s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am to eat a sandwish and some Heed. Then just drove to the race site
Event warmup:

Walked to start, thats it :)
Run
  • 5h 13m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Oyyyyyyyyyyyyy... well most of what could have went wrong for me went wrong it seemed. I realize that I had some issues leading up to the race, but I still expected ALOT better.

We started out in the 4:30 pace group.. I wanted to do 445, this was based off of how my 15-20 mile runs went, finishing the 20 miler in 330, continue that pace, plus mayb esome race excitement, could reasonably do 4:30. Take into acct, the last 10k where all bets are off, 4:45 gave me a 15 minute cushion. I should have started back probably to keep the pace back for a while, but Im not sure it would have mattered.

By the time we got to Canada, I was already feeling it.. 5 miles in. Big bummer. Nothing is feeling well. I just hoped it would get better. My calves were starting to twinge again, and felt like they wanted to cramp. Didnt I handle that on Friday!! Apparently not. Also, my HR was already in the 170's and not going down, even after i walked for a little to get it back down. Ok, not great, started to worry some.

I made it to the halfway point in 2:16... still on pace for 4:30, but know Im going to slow a little due to how Ive felt up until the halfway point. Made it to 17.4 in 3:03. Still ok, though then between 14-16 I had a blister show up on my big toe and side of the foot. The pressure was pretty intense, and why am I getting a blister in my normal socks/shoes??? So anyways, by 16/17 it had popped and I could start to run somewhat normal. Still on pace, somehow. Then after 17 I pretty well fell apart it appears. Made it to 20.4 at 3:43, 40 min 5k. I was having trouble getting nutrtion and water in due to Im assuming the elevated HR. Id put something in and it wanted to come back up, so Id stop completely and bend over to let it, and it wouldnt. Hmmmmmm... annoying. So thats how the rest of my race was spent. I either walked because I was going to puke, or because my calves were not functioning properly or were on the verge of the charley horse cramp thing again. So from 3:43 at mile 2, I did the last about 6 in about 1:30. Seriously! Oh boy.. I saw the 445 group pass me around 20, and I thought ok I still have a chance for that, and then a couple miles later I lost them, then I saw the 5 hr, and I got really bummed. I chose not to hang on to them and just walk/run when I needed because I was really hurting

So heres the I guess, good thing. I always train with people normally, especially on long runs, so Im used to running with at minimum my training partner. Well once I realized I was probably going to be in trouble at 5 miles in, I kind of let her and our other friend go. It was frustrating because we all train together and keep good pace together. BUT, I know for the IM, its going to be lonely, and i wont have anyone that runs my exact pace with me like they do. The mental battle of running alone was good, and adjusting on the fly to things going wrong/hurting, etc was probably good to. I would have loved for it to played out as planned, and as trained for, but what can you do. I have to take it for what it is and learn from it... BUT, I am still real bummed :(
What would you do differently?:

Its been a long season for me, Im ready for off season and so are my legs. I would have maybe kept pushing, but I dunno. I also was a little cautious of hurting myself because I really want to go into IM training healthy. Starting this year under the terms I did, I do not want a repeat of that for the IM training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to sit for abit,then to the car. And a ice bath :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The calf issues, the knee issues, and for some reason, I hope nothing I did wrong.. already being in a bad way really early on for some reason. I hope this will help me mentally to now on long training/races.

Last updated: 2007-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
05:13:29 | 26.2 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-21 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon

2007-10-21 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1017689

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon

Nice way to adjust and finish

You learned a lot and it will help you greatly come IM training and doing IMLP!

Doing a Mary when cramping, blisters, and on the verge of puking, isn't fun but super that you over came. Shows what you are made of when things get tough and you kept adjusting and being smart.

Now enjoy the off season...then fun build to IMLP 

2007-10-21 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Sounds like you made some smart decisions out there, Kelly.  I was totally hurting after the big bridge, too, and experienced the same "This, this early??!" thought pattern (though thankfully didn't have nearly as far to go as you! )  This was just a step on the way to IM and you handled it well!  Thankfully, we had a great day and you didn't have to freeze your arse off while you were running!  How was Belle Isle? 

Hey, regardless of how you feel right now, YOU are a MARATHONER!!  Congratulations!!

2007-10-21 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1017747

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
sushigirl - 2007-10-21 5:16 PM

Sounds like you made some smart decisions out there, Kelly.  I was totally hurting after the big bridge, too, and experienced the same "This, this early??!" thought pattern (though thankfully didn't have nearly as far to go as you! )  This was just a step on the way to IM and you handled it well!  Thankfully, we had a great day and you didn't have to freeze your arse off while you were running!  How was Belle Isle? 

Hey, regardless of how you feel right now, YOU are a MARATHONER!!  Congratulations!!

I kind of took belle isle to "regroup" so it was ok. After that I was kind of on auto pilot to make it to the end. Id run/walk half and half and was stomaching things better. I thought it was supposed to get worse after 20, not better... leave it to me.. haha.
2007-10-23 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Great race Kelly! Typical marathon issues, and you handled them with style! Awesome job! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon Rss Feed