United States
OORC
Overcast
Total Time = 23m 38s
Overall Rank = 256/1569
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/78
Pre-race routine:

Changed clothes at work, jumped in the car and drove up to the race. Went through packet pick up and got bib, chip, and door prize. Yeah I won a pair of socks.

Saw several people I knew, showed a couple of gals how to attach the timing chip (card) to your shoe. Called wife to find out where she was, she said she was in the area I had just left. So I headed back in and found her and the kids. Gave her my jacket, phone, car keys, wallet... boy am I glad I trust her.
Event warmup:

Had jogged from the car to the packet pickup area, about 1/4 mile. Walked to the start line, while talking to some friends. Jumpped around for 20 minutes trying to stay warm, while the sky kept spitting rain at us.
Run
  • 23m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I made a point of starting more up front tonight. That didn't keep me from having to dodge a few intrepid walkers (likely the same people that didn't listen to LAST year's instructions about walkers staying in back.) I guess they just don't get the concept of CHIP timed events. Hey I crossed the line at 45:01 and you crossed at 45:02 so I beat you! Except I crossed the START line at 1:00 and you crossed at :05. (Ok, Ok I'll stop whining now. I just hate dealing with people that don't listen, and thereby cause OTHERS problems.)

Headed out I was trying to keep a steady pace this time, not fade so much. I didn't manage to do that. I just didn't fade as badly as I have in the past. I hit the first mile at 7:20-25 per the timing system, I knew I had some time on it, since I had crossed a few seconds after the gun. I was feeling pretty good. Can't say I was passing too many people or being passed much either.

I faded a little in that 2nd mile, just trying to hold on and watch the time. I had my garmin set to pace me to a 24:30, and saw I was ahead by 500 feet or so. I was still working on trying to hold the speed, but I really was feeling the effects of the first mile.

3rd mile I was pretty much spent, I was looking to see how much longer I had to go. I recall seeing .45 and thinking ok, just keep holding this pace. Heard the beep, beep of mile 3. I heard someone behind be as we were nearly at the finish line, there was no way I was letting this runner pass me that close to the end. Pushed the speed and finished.
What would you do differently?:

I would have tried to negative split it.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water bottle headed back out looking for Trigirl10, who was running with a friend. She finished in 32:XX or so, depending on her time crossing the start line.

Grabbed a slice of pizza, looked for my wife. We finally found each other, and I got my jacket as the temps were finally chilly enough I needed something on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No running for the past 20 years, until I started again Jan 2006.

Event comments:

Pizza, bananas, cookies, pop. Pretty good spread. Huge mid-week race with LOTs of people wearing costumes.

Last updated: 2007-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:38 | 03.11 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/78
Overall: 256/1569
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 7:15 Avg HR - 139 Mile 2 - 7:42 Avg HR - 146 Mile 3 - 7:58 Avg HR - 149 Mile .1 - :44 -Avg HR - 157
Course: Started on North Jeffeson headed half a block to first street. Followed first street 2 blocks to Patterson/Riverside. Left onto Riverside/Patterson followed that to Helena crossed at the bridge then took North Bend Blvd back to Deeds Park road. Took that to Webster street crossed the other river, then headed down Monument to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-24 12:17 AM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: 22nd Annual Ghost n Goblin 5K

2007-10-24 11:33 PM
in reply to: #1021764

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: 22nd Annual Ghost n Goblin 5K
Another PR!!  You just keep knocking them out.  Keep up the good work, awesome progress over the last 22 months!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 22nd Annual Ghost n Goblin 5K Rss Feed