Marine Corps
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 26m 58s
Overall Rank = 16870/20667
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2001/3238
Pre-race routine:

Got there early and was able to find Leslie. We hung out trying to stay warm before the start.
Event warmup:

Walked to the start. Almost froze. Considered hanging out in a porta-potty in order to stay warm.
Run
  • 5h 26m 58s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first marathon so I wasn't sure what to expect. In August I thought that I would be able to do a 5:30 marathon. In the past two months I have had exactly 1 long workout, the SC HIM. Before the race I told Leslie that I would try to stay with the 5:30 pace group as long as I could but I would likely finish around 6 hours.

At the beginning of the race I felt pretty good. The pacer uses a 6:1 run/walk which I was not used to but it seemed to work pretty well. We had about 40 people in the group to start. My left IT band started to bother me at mile 3. I had my brace on and I think that's why the pain didn't get to be all that bad until the bridge at about mile 19. The scenery was pretty interesting going over Key bridge but didn't really get good until we hit the Whitehurst Freeway along the Potomac river. Running on the Mall was pretty interesting but I was laboring by that time. My hip flexors really started to bother me and it was getting tough to stay with the group. For the first 10 miles or so I felt pretty comfortable with the pace but I had to work to stay with the group starting on mile 13. At the entrance to Haines Point I had my first real feeling of despair. My IT band was really hurting and I was feeling a great deal of fatigue. When we turned around at the base of Haines Point I had a little bit of a second wind. I spiked my heart rate on the ramp to the 14th street bridge. I had my second feeling of despair on Crystal Drive. My hips were acting up again and I was sure that I would have to walk the rest of the way. It seemed that every time I was about to walk the group took a walk break. It was very difficult to get started again because I would have a great deal of pain from my IT band for the first 20 steps or so. All the way up 110 my IT band was causing alot of pain but I knew that I was close to the finish. The hill up to the finish is just mean. The hill was almost as steep as the one in SC but was much longer. I think that I was able to smile for the camera at the finish though.
What would you do differently?:

Try to train more. My last long run before the marathon was in late August. Otherwise I was pretty happy with my race. For the first time in a long race I think I really nailed nutrition and hydration.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my picture taken at the Iwo Jima memorial. Had to walk over a mile to get my bag and to meet my ride. Celebrated Leslie's great race with my buddy over barbeque.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

The Marine Corps Marathon has a reputation for being a well put on race for good reason. From the Expo to the race to the post-race the Marines do a great job. Every time I was really feeling down there were Marines there cheering for me. I will definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2007-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
05:26:58 | 26.2 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 2001/3238
Overall: 3238/20667
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-28 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
Subject: Marine Corps Marathon

2007-10-28 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1027534

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Great RR and great job, Felix!!  Super effort, especially under the circumstances - sounds like the leg pains and not being able to train as much hindered you, but you ultimately won by finishing.  And excellent re: nailing your nutrition!!  Enjoy basking in the fact that you did 26.2 today!
2007-10-28 7:41 PM

User image

Master

Once again, you dug deep.  I know you haven't had the time to train like you may have wanted to, but no one can say you gave up or let things stand in your way.  Great job. 

2007-10-28 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Great job, Felix!  What a year for you - and to top it all off with a marathon.  You rock!  I am so proud of you
2007-10-29 6:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

Great job, Felix.  Congratulations on a great year of firsts for you.  Hopefully, I'll be out there with you on some training days as well as some race days.

Again, congratulations!

2007-10-29 5:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Awesome, awesome job Felix. You did awesome at that race and I'm glad I got to be there as you conquered another feat. I was so happy to see you in the finish festival and to see you made it all the way through - it just added to my level of excitement. Hey - when you picked up your bag from the UPS truck, was it the same guy from the morning? Even if it wasn't you must have had great satisifaction picking up your bag before 3! If you manage to get on the bike tomorrow you'll be doing much better than me. I can't even get out of chair without using a ton of upper body support! I'll probably still be hobbling around on Saturday! Congrats again!

2007-11-01 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Absolutely awesome!  This will be a day you'll always remember.  And it's a great basis for your next race!   Marathons are addictive!  Beware!!  Congrats on a fabulous day!  Way to work thru it!

2007-11-01 3:28 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations on yet another incredible accomplishment this year! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Marathon Rss Feed