NCRA
3C / 37F
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 7:15, had a shower to wake up. Breakfast was a glass of juice and a bowl of instant oatmeal. Left the house at about 8:15 to drive the the race site. Got there about 9:10, picked up my race kit and then sat in the car until it was time to warm up. It was cold out so I wanted to try to keep as warm and comfortable before the race as I could.
Event warmup:

As Coach Jane had suggested, I ran an easy 10 minutes for a warmup. Then I crossed the road to the start area and walked back and forth. Did one pickup just to see how my legs felt. It was a little breezy at the start and the race started about 5 minutes late so I was getting a little cold by the time we started.
Run
  • 32m 16s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 27s  min/km
Comments:

As mentioned above, the race started at the bottom of a hill. Coach Jane warned me about it so I was well prepared mentally to face it. Thanks to Coach Duncan, I was also prepared for it physically. As I started up the hill, I just tried to keep a steady pace. I felt good at the top so I just maintained the same pace until my breathing had eased off a bit.

By this time, I was feeling good and had gotten into a bit of a groove, I looked around and decided to use some of the other runners to help pace me with occasional glances at the watch to see what the GPS was telling me. I wanted to maintain a pace that would put me under my old PR but at the same time I was worried about going out too fast and burning out.

As the race proceeded, things just kept going well. I was able to keep a pace that was for me aggressive but at the same time was able to dial it back a bit anytime I started to feel like my breathing was getting out of control. On one particular downhill (on the narrow path), I concentrated on "falling down" the hill. At other times, I concentrated on running relaxed, particularly relaxing my shoulders. At about the halfway point, a sidestitch was threatening so I really worked on my breathing and it never developed.

On the last uphill, I did get into a little bit of trouble. The course does a little out and back on a sidestreet. Coming back out of that it is slightly uphill. I picked up the pace a bit (less than 1 km left), and by the end of the incline I started to feel a bit nauseated. I knew that as long as I kept running I was on pace for a PR so it didn't mentally bother me at all. I just slowed down slightly to let my tummy settle down but was still able to run a decent pace over the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, had some cookies, slices of orange and water.

Event comments:

With a time 1'12" better than my PR from 4 years ago, I'm just delighted with my performance.

Last updated: 2007-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:16 | 05 kms | 06m 27s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I wore my Forerunner so I was able to have a good idea of my pace as the race went along.
Course: Closed streets through the National Research Council's campus. The race starts at the bottom of a curved hill. The rest of the course has a couple of easy downhills and one or two slight uphill inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-03 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Carleton Place, Ontario
Subject: Cookie Run

2007-11-05 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1036609

Subject: RE: Cookie Run
Sounds like you had a really great race. Good job.
2007-11-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1036609

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Cookie Run
Congrats on your PR! It sounds like you were really mentally (and physically!) prepared for this race, and it paid off.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cookie Run Rss Feed