General Discussion Race Reports! » Rex Healthcare City of Oaks Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rex Healthcare City of Oaks Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Raleigh Running Outfitters/Lin-Mark
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 27s
Overall Rank = 728/1026
Age Group = 40-44 M
Age Group Rank = 128/170
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race site plenty early and got parked very easily. All the traffic was coming from the other direction, but since I came in the back roads, I had no problems getting there. However, once I got there, I realized I left my timing chip at home, so I had to call home, wake my wife up and have her bring it to me.
Event warmup:

I jogged over to the far side of the fairgrounds to get my timing chip and then back. Stopped at the restroom and cleaned out the pipes and then lined up about 5-10 minutes before the start.
Run
  • 2h 08m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I was shooting to run 46:30 for the first 5, 46:00 for the second 5 and 27:30 for the last 3.1, which would have put me at 2:00 even, my goal for the race. I went out in 45:57 and then started dying on the rolling hills of the city and the neighborhoods heading back to the finish. I knew by mile 8, that I would not make my goal, so I started trying to not lose too much pace going in. But I was whooped (see below). I ended up having to take many short walk breaks, and my running pace just couldn't be maintained. I gave it my all, but my all just wasn't good enough for my goals.
My time was actually a minute slower than at MB this past February, but the course was much hillier here. I did notice that I stayed with many of the same people throughout the entire race, and I know some of them had similar goals as mine.
It is amazing that one second, you feel great running at a 9:00 pace, and the next, you struggle to hold a 9:45 pace. Maybe that is why I enjoy this torturous endeavor so much. I do know that my mind is much faster than my body.
What would you do differently?:

I think that I had unrealistic expectations for this race. I just started working on speed in my running, and because I could hold 9 minute mile pace for 5 miles on an indoor flat track, I thought I could hold that for 13.1.
Because of this, I went out only a little faster than planned, but probably way too fast for my true ability. If I would have shot for a 2:03-1:05 time, I would have gone out significantly slower (0:30 per mile for the first 5 miles) and I probably would have had enough in the tank to meet that goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and got some food and water. Looked around for others I might know. Hung out and watched the Marathon winner finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My right knee (tendons in the back of my knee) has bothered me since Duke Half in September. Also, I just really started speed work a few weeks ago.

Event comments:

The event was pretty well organized, considering it was a first year event. The drink stations were too far apart early and too close late in the race. The second half of the course was surprisingly hilly. the mile markers were spot on.

Last updated: 2007-10-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:27 | 13.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 128/170
Overall: 170/1026
Performance: Average
Mile 1 - 9:01, Mile 2 - 9:01, Mile 3 - 9:04, Mile 4 - 9:15, Mile 5 - 9:36, Mile 6 - 9:26, Mile 7 - 9:46 - Wheels fell off here! Mile 8 - 10:25, Mile 9 - 10:21, Mile 10 - 10:13, Mile 11 - 10:15, Mile 12 - 9:48, Mile 13 - 10:46, Mile 13.1 - 9:28 pace.
Course: Started between the NC State Fairgrounds and the Stadiums. Ran downtown, around a bit and back out to the stadiums. The finish was a loop around the stadiums complex and back to the start.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-04 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: Rex Healthcare City of Oaks Half Marathon

2007-11-04 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1037641

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Rex Healthcare City of Oaks Half Marathon
Great job Keith for a late season race. Considering the injury issues you gotta be happy with the time and effort.
2007-11-05 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1037641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Subject: RE: Rex Healthcare City of Oaks Half Marathon

Great run and way to forget the timing chip, at least you noticed before the run and are close enough to have your wife bring it to you. Again nice run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rex Healthcare City of Oaks Half Marathon Rss Feed