Dallas, Texas
United States
Dallas Running Club
Total Time = 2h 12m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 106/254
Pre-race routine:

Raegan and I were picked up by Kelley and Maurice at 6;30am. Ate breakfast and got gear ready before they got to our house.
Event warmup:

no warmup- just picked up chip, socialized, ect...
Run
  • 2h 12m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was a very unusual and emotionally charged run. The few weeks leading up to this race, I had been unusally down. A lot of my friends have been having a lot personal grief (in the hospital, child in the hospital, preparing to move, etc...), so I think I had been internalizing all of their pain. The plan was for sll of us to run together because it was just going to be for fun, not for time. Not any of us had properly trained for it and hadn't run much from our HIM at Longhorn. We started off fine, but a little too fast, so I developed a stabbing side pain after the first mile. Raegan stuck with me, and K&M ran ahead, but eventually stopped off to the side to wait for us. finally, the pain went away by the forth mile. Then the run went alright for a little while. All of a sudden (maybe it was music induced), but I started thinking about all of my friends and what they are going through and I started getting emotional around mile 7. So, for the next 4 miles I would have bouts of needing to cry, which would make me have to stop, which would cause me to start wheezing from trying to keep the crying in. So, everytime I would stop I would have to try and get my breathing under control, so that helped to stop any crying. WIERD! I am not that emotional of a person, so I think that that was making it even worse, because I couldn't believe that that was happening to me! Raegan stuck with me through all of the emotional stops. He suggested around mile 11, that since it only was happening when I stopped, I just shouldn't stop until the end. Good advice! :) I made it to the end, and we met back up with K&M. I was then able to sit under a tree and finally let it out! I always knew running could be very theraputic, now I know first hand! I sure did feel better afterwards! :)
What would you do differently?:

I think i'll leave all of the emotional baggage from my friends' lives at home! :) Also, I probable should actually train for it. This was my slowest (by about 5 min.) half mary to date. I guess in my head i thought that even though I didn't train specifically for this race and hadn't run a whole lot in the month leading up to it, my HIM training at the beginning of October would get me a PR. Maybe I would have if I hadn't had so many emotional stops!

Post race
Warm down:

Just a good old cry! It did wonders for my mood! :) Now that I got it all out of my system, i should have a normal run at White Rock (half). :) At least i will always remember this race and have something to laugh about! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Basically not running but a handful of times the whole month before.

Event comments:

This was my 3rd time to run this race. It is always well run!

Last updated: 2007-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:02 | 13.1 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 106/254
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
181 avg/ 198 max
Course: ran around White Rock lake and nearby neighborhoods
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-09 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: DRC Half Marathon

2007-11-09 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1046276

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: DRC Half Marathon
It's great to hear you were able to have a good run and release all the emotional stuff off your mind..    I bet you feel so much better
2007-11-09 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
I guess you know the best medicine, for you, when other people's problems start to beat you down. Run 13.1 miles. Certainly better than Prozac. Well done.
2007-11-10 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
You did great girl! With each race there's all levels of pain to deal with; physical, emotional, spiritual, mental, etc. With each race one, several, or all take their best shots at you. You persevered through them and reached your goal when others would have quit. Purging those pains now and then is a good thing too and running is a good forum for it!

2007-11-11 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
You did great Sue! I think it was just what you needed to get back on track with your mood and training. I agree with Craig...running is better (and cheaper!) for your emotional wellbeing than Prozac! Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DRC Half Marathon Rss Feed