General Discussion Race Reports! » Stone Memorial High School 5k Run to Read Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stone Memorial High School 5k Run to Read - Run5k

View Member's Race Log
Crossville, Tennessee
United States
Total Race Solutions, Inc.
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 46s
Overall Rank = 1/23
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

The race started at 9am so I arrived about 1 hour early, got registered, and talked to a few people I knew.
Event warmup:

Jogged a couple 1/4 miles on the track to loosen up and 3 potty breaks.
Run
  • 19m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I was sizing up my competition before the race. There were a couple of high school cross country girls running and I knew they were fast. I figured if I let them pace me I would pass them at the end. We lined up on time and off we went. The 2 girls took off like rabbits. I stayed behind them thinking to myself I hope they slow down. We had run about .3 of a mile and had gotten out of the parking lot onto the road and they finally slowed down. I ran another .1 of a mile and they had really slowed down to the point I figured I my as well take off. By the time we had gotten to the turn around I had opened up about a 1/4 mile lead. At the turn around we headed back into a very cold head wind. I kept the same lead through the rest of the race and when I was close and saw I could be under 20 min, I opened it up.
What would you do differently?:

I felt I had run my race. The girls kept me from going out to fast at the start which left me some gas in the tank at the end. Set a PR by about :20 so I'm on the right training track.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my sweats back on because it was freezing. Drank all the water I could find. I talked to the 2 high school girls that finished behid me. They said they had gone out to fast and faded fast but they both set PR's.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had been sick all week with a sinus condition. I ran this same course in April, 07 in 20:50 so I took 1 min off my time.

Event comments:

Not many people showed up for this fund raiser and there was no fanfare but it was good to run for time to check my progress. I ended up coughing the rest of the day and all day Sunday from the cold wind in my lungs.

Last updated: 2007-11-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:46 | 03.11 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 1/23
Performance: Good
I forgot my watch so no splits.
Course: This is a very hilly out and back from the school parking lot onto country roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-11-14 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Subject: Stone Memorial High School 5k Run to Read

2007-11-14 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1052541

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Stone Memorial High School 5k Run to Read
Wow that was one fast race.  Good job thinking the race out and following your plan.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stone Memorial High School 5k Run to Read Rss Feed