The Gregory Agency
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 9s
Overall Rank = 15/449
Age Group = 19-29
Age Group Rank = 8/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5. Figured I had some time to kill since I wasn't supposed to meet Greg until 7:30. Did the usual pre race stuff, there is no need to elaborate here because everybody has their own routine. Got my stuff around and finally got out the door at about 6:50. Had the usual cereal bar on the way to the big city.
Event warmup:

Logged 8.4 miles as a warm-up. Needed to do a long run today so why not get some miles in before the race. Greg and myself set out on the bike path that run parallel to the ARkansas River. The race is also run here but we headed south and the race goes north! We didn't push the pace at all. We are both training for Dallas.
Run
  • 1h 02m 9s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt good after the long warm-up. As we were lining up I was looking for a guy in my age-group that I always run with at races. Found him and we were off.

Pace felt good right from the start. Got to the first mile at 6:15. That is faster than I was expecting. I told the aforementioned guy that I wouldn't be around to push him today, since I had logged a few miles before.

At the 2 mile mark I noticed there was a pack of 15-20 runners about 200 yards ahead of me. I figured if I was going to do any good I couldn't let the pack get away. So I surged to get with them. I ran up beside Michael and he said "I thought you were taking it easy today?" I replied "I didn't say that I just said I probably wouldn't run very fast today" The pack splintered pretty fast and I was the third one from the front when it broke (Good Feeling). The gazelles had about a 500 yrd lead on the rest of us by then.

After that it got fairly strung out and I stayed right on Michaels heels until about the 8.5 mile mark. I think he had decided my day had been good enough. I think he ended up passing a couple of people and he beat me by about 20 secs.

Was really suprised I felt strong the whole way and didn't slow much at all. Mile 9 was the slowest at 6:23. Mile 2 was the fastest at 5:57. All the rest were right around 6:10-15.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure here. Maybe not do 8 miles before hand. But I'm not training for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

After finishing I ran back out on the course to catch Greg. He was about half a mile back. Lonnie, another good friend, was right behind him and I kept telling Greg that he was coming and he was. Greg managed to hold him off.

I had to leave right after the race so I told Greg to pick up my hardware if I won anything. And with that I was off to watch the little one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Testicular Fortitude. 8 miles before hand.

Event comments:

There just needs to be more water stations. But the temp at this race isn't usually in the 60's either.

I'll update the the result after I see them. I think I was about 12 or 13.

Last updated: 2007-11-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:02:09 | 10 miles | 06m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/449
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fast course along the South bank of the picturesqe ARkansas river.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-17 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: 32nd Turkey Trot

2007-11-17 9:33 PM
in reply to: #1058320

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: 32nd Turkey Trot

Great run, as usual! Someday, I'll be fast like you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 32nd Turkey Trot Rss Feed