Southeast YMCA
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 38s
Overall Rank = 81/350
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/33
Pre-race routine:

Up at 7am to eat my oatmeal and get kids up and breakfasted before their 1 mile fun run which started at 8.30am (the 5miler started at 9am)

Cheered my family on in the run (Barnaby was 6th overall I think at about 7min 50secs and Harry (and Fred) were about a minute later)
Then went and took off my 2 jumpers and coat ready to race.

It was nice that you could go into the Y building to keep warm
Event warmup:

Brrrrrrr. The start was about a quarter of a mile away from the Y so I jogged down there.
Run
  • 37m 38s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

female rank 14/159
I enjoyed this (what? another running race?). More people passed me than I passed but not that many so I must have positioned myself pretty well. Having people run around your pace or a bit faster that you can see ahead really motivates you to keep going.
My goal was to let my HR get up to just under LT and run with it there.
There was a lady who I was behind most of the way who towards end stopped and walked a few paces. At one point I caught her up with 0.25m to go and just told her to keep going and it was only 0.25m. She came back past me a few seconds later but I just nudged past her in a sprint finish. I saw from the results she was in the age group above me and got 1st. She sought me out to thank me which was nice.
What would you do differently?:

I am very pleased with this, the pace is much better than I expected, even knowing the adrenaline would help.
Post race
Warm down:

Some of my IM buddies were there so I chatted to them and cheered a few people in.
Then headed inside (mmmm warm) to the food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well I either have to raise my LT or train so I can keep the pace with a lower HR!
But in current circumstances I couldn't have gone faster!

Event comments:

The 1m fun race that was before the 5m had snacks and games for kids.
The food for post 5m race was very impressive. Not just the normal fruit, bagels etc but cheese, about 5 types of soup, chilli. Very impressive, although all I ever feel like afterwards is a bit of bagel and water.

Volunteers at every point needed and were very encouraging.
An excellently run race.

Last updated: 2007-11-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:38 | 05 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/33
Overall: 81/350
Performance: Good
mile paces per my Garmin were 7:06, 7:26, 7:27, 7:36, 7:46 av HR per mile were 164, 165, 167, 168, 169 (my LT is 168)
Course: Tarmac roads from SE YMCA. It is "marketed" as flat but it isn't completely flat although there are no killer hills Mostly one big loop with retracing the start bit and finishing at the Y.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-18 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Southeast YMCA Turkey Classic

2007-11-18 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1059074

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Southeast YMCA Turkey Classic
Nice job Jackie, its nice that your whole family was able to participate as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Southeast YMCA Turkey Classic Rss Feed