Kinane Events
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 55m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I laid out all of my race clothing, shoes, bib, etc. the night before so I wouldn't have to think about it. I woke up around 5:30am and had some oatmeal and water.
Event warmup:

Walking from the parking area up to the starting line and then walking about a bit before the gun.
Run
  • 55m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 17m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first organized race again since having spinal fusion surgery 7 1/2 months ago. It felt really good to be out with the masses again. As per norm, I started out faster than I really should have, so I was feeling it at the end. My last mile was nearly a full minute slower than mile 1. Of course, I think part of the reason I slowed down in the last mile was that I kept getting distracted by the surfer boys and dolphins playing in the ocean as we neared the finish line. LOL

I think the highlight of the day for me was getting to do the race with my dear friend, MrsUSMC. It was her first race EVER and I was thrilled to be there to share it with her. Her tri-hubby also ran the race, but he went with the 2nd group that started 45 minutes after us. She said she heard him cheering us on as we looped back near the starting line at one point, but I didn't hear him. I guess I was really focused on making that corner. LOL

All in all, I was pretty pleased with how I did. I was pretty concerned going into it how I would do because I ended up having to help schlep a bunch of computer equipment up and down 2 flights of stairs the day before the race. My right ankle and heel were already hurting before we even started, so I was just hoping that I wouldn't have a DNF. I managed to get in a few segments of running using a 3:1 walk to run ratio before my ankle told me to f**k off and just walk. I hung with it just walking from about the 1.5 mile mark though and made it to the finish. Hell, I wasn't even DFL so that was even better! ;)
What would you do differently?:

Uhmmm...not do any heavy lifting the day before the race. ;) I also wish I would've had some running gloves. My hands were pretty cold up until midway through mile 2. Line up at the starting area earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit and then circled back around to see MrsUSMC's hubby finish his race. After that, the three of us walked around a bit more, hit a local coffee bar, and then headed back to the cars.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right ankle & heel hurting before the race even started. Getting stuck back in the walkers section. It took quite a while to get around the walkers, people with strollers, people more interested in talking than walking/running, etc.

Last updated: 2007-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:30 | 03.11 miles | 17m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly flat with a few downhill sections. Started on PCH and ended on the strand by the pier.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-11-22 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Subject: O'Side Turkey Trot

2007-11-23 2:49 AM
in reply to: #1065559

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: O'Side Turkey Trot

CONBUNNILATIONS!!! Wow, that almost sounds naughty

A great race for you and Terri, too. Such good fortune for me to have gotten to know you and MrsUSMC! Such inspirations to me.

Eh, hot surfers'll slow anyone down, even me! Next year, convince them to join and run in front of you ...

Super job, especially coming back from many difficulties, and not to mention a ridiculous day before!

2007-11-23 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Woohoo! Thank you so much for being there with me! You did great, considering all that has happened.

Before the gun went off I kept thinking about how we met, and how far our friendship has come. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for us.

Next stop....Surf City!
2007-11-23 12:58 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Oh my general Bunny-YOU ARE AWESOME.  I'd have been distracted by surfer boys and dolphins too
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » O'Side Turkey Trot Rss Feed