Chamber of Commerce of Highlands Ranch
20F / -7C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 27s
Overall Rank = 51/647
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 10/80
Pre-race routine:

out of bed, coffee and protein shake. Arrived at race approx 1-hour early. Picked up race packet. It was cold!
Event warmup:

It was too cold to stand around in my running gear. Went back to car for a few minutes to warm back up and finish my coffee. Decided to jog for to keep warm...probably 3 - 3.5 miles total warm up.
Run
  • 22m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Because of some injuries this was the first race for me since June. I've got to admit that watching my splits while running and seeing my time at the finish I was somewhat disappointed. I was really hoping to run at or below 7 min pace. All my splits were > 7 mins. I ran with my GPS however; and after the race I reviewed the data and it calculated the distance at 3.329 miles...slightly longer that a 5K. We've all run races where the course is either long or short...I think this one was long! If that's the case, then my avg pace would be about 6:45. So I feel somewhat better thinking maybe the course was long. Regardless, I'm satisifed with my time overall. It felt good to push hard and I ran negative splits according to the mile markers that were set up.
I didn't run this race last year, but I did run it in 2004 & 2005. They changed the start from the last ime I ran, before it started in the parking lot of the stadium and ran out to a bike path. Now it starts on the road but other that that it seemed to pretty much cover the same route. I like the course!
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have pushed that first mile a little harder. It might have set me up to maintain a little faster pace overall. Probably should have stretched afterwards.
Post race
Warm down:

none. walked to the food line and had a frozen bagel. Managed to slam a beer but I didn't hang out long. It was too cold!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably not having raced since June.

Event comments:

I do think the course was long, but overall I like this race and they do a good job organizing it. It's nice having a race on the south side of town! I really appreciate all the volunteers for showing up and working in the sub-freezing temp!
I would have liked to meet some of the BT'rs that also ran, but I didn't see anyone in BT gear. And after, it was just too cold to hang out in my sweaty clothes and try to be social.

Last updated: 2007-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:30 | 03.11 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/80
Overall: 51/647
Performance: Average
Mile 1, 7:20, 155hr Mile 2, 7:13, 159hr Mile 3, 7:10, 159hr overall avg hr - 158
Course: loop through Highlands Ranch neigborhood on roads and concrete bike path. Some hills but nothing too difficult. Downhill start.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-23 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K

2007-11-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1065818

Subject: RE: Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K
Congratulations. Your pace wasn't too far off your 7:00 goal... and in the cold, no less. The course distance was an accurately measured 5K. It is a USATF certified course (map link http://www.racemeasure.com/2007/HRTurkeyDay/index.htm).

Sometimes after a long layoff from racing, it takes a race or two to remind your body what it's like to run really hard.

After reading some posts regarding last year's race, I was pleasantly surprised with how well organized the event was. No complaints at all, and my family had a great morning.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K Rss Feed