United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 35s
Overall Rank = 166/1502
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/108
Pre-race routine:

Ate an oatmeal bar and drank a Power Edge while driving to the race.

Got there too early as is my habit, so I sat in the truck to stay warm after getting my packet and chip.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 3/4 mile and did some light stretching.

Looked around for a friend (Mike) that I knew was racing, and by a small miracle, found him in the crowd. He's in my AG and just a little faster, so my goal was to hang with him, and by some big miracle, beat him.
Run
  • 35m 35s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

They had pace markers at the start line area to divide the racers into groups depending on their projected speed. We went to the 6:00/mile marker to get a good position. I know I can't run 6:00/miles and I "knew" that 98% of those around us couldn't either.

After the gun, it took 30 seconds to get to the line. Sure enough, the first half mile was spent passing all the folks that had no business being near the front. The challenge was to break through and not get tripped.

Crossing the overpass at the 1 mile mark thinned out the rest of the slow runners and it was time to settle into a smooth rhythym. Had lost track of Mike, but he caught and passed me at the 1.5 mile mark. I stuck to his heels the rest of the way.

I hadn't "trained" specifically for this race, but felt like I could do it in 36 minutes if everything went OK. Pushed pretty hard keeping up with Mike and managed to stayed close.

When the course circled back and crossed the overpass again, Mike got some separation and I couldn't hang with him any more and he ended up beating me by 28 seconds.

I never looked at my watch during the race, but I knew I had run well with a steady effort and never faded. Put on a good kick at 200 yards out to finish strong.
What would you do differently?:

Study the course map and know where to start kicking at 1/2 mile out; oh, and start up front with the 5:00/milers.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, found a sunny place out of the cold wind, and got something to eat and drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Always the hard question to answer...

Nothing really; pretty much just ran as fast as I could and I am just a 7:00/miler, and that's just the way it is.

Event comments:

Great post-race breakfast cooked fresh by local cafe. Lots of other food and drinks, music; the whole deal. This was their 18th year and it is very well organized and sponsored.

I'll do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-11-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:35 | 05 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/108
Overall: 166/1502
Performance: Good
Course: Road course through local neighborhoods and shopping district. Excellent traffic control. One "hill" due to an overpass crossing the interstate freeway and we would cross it twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-24 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: Run thru the Woods, 5-Miler

2007-11-26 8:32 AM
in reply to: #1066459

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Run thru the Woods, 5-Miler
nice job, nice effort. The thing about the run courses... is working your way through the crowd, hmm i guess like the swim. Keep up the solid winter training in prep for imaz.
2007-11-27 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1066459

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Run thru the Woods, 5-Miler
Nice run!
I was there and I will apologize for being one of those pokey people at the 6:00/mile marker. We lined up at what was the end of the pack at the time, not seeing the markers - they were small!. By the time we saw them, they were singing the national anthem and we were packed in like sardines, unable to get back with the slower folks. We tried to get to the side to get out of the way at the start, but everyone was moving slow so unfortunately our efforts were futile.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run thru the Woods, 5-Miler Rss Feed