Running Chicken Track Club
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I need to start off by saying that my original goal was to do a marathon today but I just didn't have the training to make a decent try so I switched to a half.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday we went to Disney World and I didn't do as much running as I had planned. This past week I began training for a Grappling tournament which left me sore and a little beat up (bruises, brush burns, and banged up bony prominences). Tuesday I got a blister on my right foot from running sockless. I also caught a lower GI bug Wednesday that I won't go into but it had me a little worried about running 13.

Things weren't shaping up well for me.

To top it off my buddy Lonnie has been training properly and has gotten in at least 4 13 milers prior to the race. So I was doomed.
Event warmup:

Just stretching my inner leg muscles out which were still sore and tight. I forced myself to eat 2 pieces of toast and a half a cliff bar.
Run
  • 2h 00m 8s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I had low expectations about this run. My plan was to run 10 minute miles and finish in 2:10:00. There is a lot of tree cover so my Garmin was jumpy at times.

The first mile is the only one that was close to 10 minutes, and that was mainly due to the crowds of people I had to weave through due to starting at the back of the race.

The miles tic'd off and before I knew it I was at the 8 mile mark and I knew my time was well above what I had planned on. I decided to make a push at mile 10 if I was still in range of making 2 hours.

My tri club was manning three of he water stations and they all did a great job. I said a lot of 'thank you's' to all the volunteers and police.

More than once I had a Baton Rouge Tri member ride up next to me on a bike and give words of encouragement.

I don't remember the exact time at mile 10 but I was going to try for 2 hours. At mile 11-12 the body glide must have wore off my blistered foot and it began hurting noticeably. I also developed the same exact blistered area on the other foot. This was limiting me somewhat but I wasn't going to stop.

I was definately going make my goal. at 13.1 I had made it under 2 hours but the course was long by 0.2 miles. I still tried to make it in under 2 hours but came in at 2:00:08.

Lonnie left me at about mile 3 or 4 and finished 3 minutes ahead of me, but there were two people that I paced off of most of the time and they paced off of me.
What would you do differently?:

More body glide everywhere, but mainly on my feet!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

BLISTERS!

Event comments:

Not much of post race event but I didn't really need anything.

Last updated: 2007-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:08 | 13.3 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR avg 167 HR max 185 ??? 9:32, 8:56, 9:08, 9:04, 9:00, 9:06, 8:57, 9:12, 8:48, 9:20, 9:05, 8:41, 9:06, 2:12
Course: This is a one loop course. Over all flat with two stretches of gradual inclines and an overpass. I would call it flat though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-01 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Subject: Baton Rouge Beach Half Marathon

2007-12-01 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1078530

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Baton Rouge Beach Half Marathon
Great job, imagine if you trained ! I am gonna have to take up the kung fu stuff cause it makes u faster.
2007-12-02 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana

U GEAUX BOY!!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Laughing  You did great and it is a fun run!  Hope your feet heal soon and you start training for a full marathon.  Mardi Gras is awesome! 

2007-12-02 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Great job!!!! I know how important that 2 hour goal is, and you DID IT!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baton Rouge Beach Half Marathon Rss Feed