Catholic Charities
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 24m 12s
Overall Rank = 12/29
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 04:30. Ate breakfast about 05:30; bagel, PB&J, OJ, vitamin. Waited for wife to finish getting dressed. Drove 2 hours to event site.
Event warmup:

The weather was terrible; 40F, misting/drizzle, wind about 20 mph. Difficult to warm up and judge how much clothing to wear. Ran about 1/2 mile down the road, stretched, ran back to start, stretched. Continued to run up and down the road.
Run
  • 24m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The weather was terrible which made it difficult to judge how much clothing to wear. I wore tights, t-shirt, Hot Chilis, another T and a warm up jacket, and gloves. This was too much, but stading at the start I was freezing. At about 1 mile I removed the gloves and put them in my jacket. At 1 1/2 miles I unzipped the jacket. Still too hot, but the tights were OK.

I had planned to run negative splits, but there weren't any mile markers so I couldn't really judge my pace. Several good runners bolted at the start and I should have not payed any attention to them. I ran the first 1 1/2 too fast and started fading toward the end.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear so much clothing. Run a slower pace at the beginning and try to kick toward the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank Gatorade, ate a bananna.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to start speed training.

Event comments:

I have never trained as a runner until now. Cycling has been my main sport for the past 20 years. This was the first time I have run 'competitively'. It was a good guage for my fitness level. I've been running since the beginning of September and feel this wasn't too bad considering only having been running for 2+ months.

I think the weather kept many runners away. The organizers were disappointed with the turn out.

Last updated: 2004-11-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:12 | 03.1 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 12/29
Performance: Average
Course: The course was a flat running trail loop around the UT campus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-11-13 10:20 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: UTPB 5k Turkey Trot

2004-11-14 1:16 PM
in reply to: #82536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: RE: UTPB 5k Turkey Trot

Great run Tommy, especially for a first 5k !!

It seems so much harder this time of year to determine how what and how many layers to wear. I have no race strategy for shorter races either... so starting out too fast or too slow, the right pace comes with experience I hope! Strange about the lack of markers - certainly makes it difficult to pace ... but awesome time regardless!

2004-11-15 9:25 AM
in reply to: #82536

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great job!!! Sub 8 min mile average is very impressive. What do you mean you need to work on your speed?! You've got great speed. Can I borrow some of that speed?
2004-11-15 6:45 PM
in reply to: #82850

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Bethany, Sann,

Thanks.  I didn't feel very fast as I watched the front group pull away.  The guy who finished 1st ran 6:xx/mile and finished in about 19 minutes. 

Anyway, it was a first race and I had fun (but cold).  I'm looking forward to more races and my first tri next spring.

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UTPB 5k Turkey Trot Rss Feed