General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Creek 4 mile at Prospect Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Clear Creek 4 mile at Prospect Park - Run4 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
United States
Colorado Masters Running Association
20F / -7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 34m 10s
Overall Rank = 38/63
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up and was still debating if I wanted to go do this. I went through the motions of getting ready. Had a peanut butter sandwich, then made a smoothie. Grabbed multiple options for layers. Checked in and changed a layer.
Event warmup:

Ran out about 1/4 - 1/2 mile turned off the icy trail and took some snow packed single track. Walked to work on putting on race tag. Lower back muscles started twinging like they wanted to seize up. Walked through that and headed back to the beginning. Saw Greyhound and his son, played with his son while he got ready. Walked with them to the start and watched as they got him in the stroller.
Run
  • 34m 10s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off at the back of the pack and went with Greyhound and his son. As slow as it was, it was pushing the tempo and exertion level for me (kind of sad). Tried to run on the side of the trail where possible. The uphill was fun, just tried to have good traction (and not end up in traction). After that turnaround was watching him "skate" along. Once it leveled out, never saw him again. I was slowly loosening up a bit. (and also warming up. At this point I wished I didn't have the sweatshirt - 1.5 miles in) Had a couple of people go by me but in the 'woods' it was almost like I was running alone, someone far enough ahead that I could see, and didn't feel anyone close behind. It was really peaceful and I was ok with where I was at. I pocketed the gloves to provide some cooling. I just tried to keep it moving to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Run more then 4.5 miles in the last 5 weeks. Go with the layering I would need into the race, not how I felt getting ready
Post race
Warm down:

Finished, changed, went and stood in line socializing and waiting for pancakes and bacon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Minimal exercise and poor fueling in the last 5 weeks, icy conditions, cold temps

Event comments:

At least I wasn't last overall

Last updated: 2007-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:10 | 04 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/63
Performance: Below average
17:30 for first 2 miles, 8:08 then 8:32
Course: Flat on paved (icy) bike path, underpass was slick then had an uphill stretch to a turn around, This was really slippery, Came back and headed on crushed gravel trail on the other side of the creek, looped back around and to the park. Looks like most of this would be pretty in the spring and summer.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-12-09 7:16 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: Clear Creek 4 mile at Prospect Park

2007-12-09 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1091433

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Clear Creek 4 mile at Prospect Park

Good job, that is a lot faster than I would have been after that much layoff.

Sounds like you knew what you wanted to do, but then changed your mind.  Sometimes running alone is so great. 

2007-12-09 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1091433

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Clear Creek 4 mile at Prospect Park
very good run and I'm glad we got out there.  These races will really help as we start getting serious next season.  It will be fun next year!

Edited by greyhound 2007-12-09 9:59 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Creek 4 mile at Prospect Park Rss Feed