General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 57m 1s
Overall Rank = 1395/5209
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 69/515
Pre-race routine:

Raegan (rgill) and I woke up at 6:00am, so that we could just take our time and not be rushed. I had a bowl of cheerios, gatorade, coffee, and an Ensure for breakfast. I have learned through lots of trial and error that liquid calories work better for me than solids, except for a little bit of easily digested solids to avoid that sloshing sound while running. I kept checking the weather and going outside to try to decide which clothing option to go with- tights or shorts, base layer or just one shirt, hat or something to cover my ears. I opted for shorts, one shirt, and just a hat. I packed my other option just in case I changed my mind by the time we got there. :) We then went to pick up Kelley (mom23) and Maurice (dad23).
Event warmup:

Our warmup consisted of shivering on our walk to the bag drop, navigating our way through the AAC to the restroom, and waiting in line for a long time to get into the restroom. We got to talk briefly to Craig (docshock), but missed everyone else. One of the amazing things was that while we were still in the AAC with 100s of other people, a girl that I was friends with waaaayyyyy back in elementary school recognized me, so we got to have a quick catchup. I'm not sure how she knew it was me! I'm pretty sure I must have changed SOME in the last 25+ years! :) The four of us then corralled out into the cold to shiver some more and wait for the start.
Run
  • 1h 57m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I had set a goal of breaking two hours for this race. I knew that if I stayed focused, ran my own race, only stopped for very short walking breaks, and didn't have to have a potty break, then I could do it! I had told Raegan not to run with me, and had told Kelley and Maurice that if we lost each other than we would meet up at the finish line.

Raegan was out of sight within the first quarter mile. I had started off keeping my eye on where Kelley and Maurice were, because we got split apart right away. But then I told myself if I kept trying to find them then I was just going to waste too much energy, so I stopped. I got into a nice zone and just ran. i had worn my water belt so that I wouldn't have to stop at the aid stations. i can't stand to stop at them. I prefer to drink when I want to and not have to wait for when it is available. I had my gu in a gel flask, so it was rather hard getting it to come out, since it had thickened up. So, every time I took in some gu, I walked for a few seconds, and then I would run while washing it down with my water. I heard John (jcagg90) call out my name towards the top of the hill at mile 6. It's always nice to have people cheer you on- thanks, John! It was around mile 7 that i started to notice how dead my left hand felt. I could barely move my fingers, so for the rest of the race, i would occasionally shake out my hands and arms and try to wiggle my fingers to keep the blood flow going. Aside from a few twinges in my ankle and an occasional one in my knees, I felt really good!

I wish the mile markers would have been more visible. I'm not sure if i just missed most of them or if they were just nonexistant, but I hardly saw any. And my watch was of no help for distance, because at the 10 mile marker, my watch said 10.85 miles. (By the end of the race, my watch showed I ran 14.37 miles!) So, at 10 miles, I assessed my time and knew that I had a good chance of breaking 2 hours, because I was at 1:31. When I got to the stage where they were calling out "1 mile to go!" I was determined to give it my all. Soon after that point, all of a sudden someone yells right in my ear, and nearly made me jump out of my skin! I turned to find out it was Maurice and I then looked on the other side of me and there was Kelley. I really had no idea that they were behind me. It took a while for me to get my hr back down to where it was and to recover from my heartattack ;), but once I did I then had to try to keep up with Kelley and Maurice for that last mile, which wasn't easy. That mile lasted FOREVER!!!! That had to have been the longest mile ever! By the time we got to the finish line, I had nothing left in me. I felt like I was just about to pass out. I remember being in a daze for a minute or two and someone wrapping the foil blanket around me. Then, I finally snapped out of it and regained consciousness. :) I ran that last mile in under eight minutes, which I am proud of. I expect that in a shorter race, but not in a half mary! :)

What would you do differently?:

Nothing1 I think I ran it the best that i could!
Post race
Warm down:

Kelley, Maurice, and I then heaed down the chute. They sat in the beer tent, while I stood for a long time waiting to get my bag at the bag drop off. I talked with Craig for a little bit while I waited. He was about to leave and get in a swim wkout! It made me even colder just thinking about it! Kelley and Maurice got tired of drinking the beer ;) and came looking for me. I was still waiting for my bag. People finally just started going in and getting their own bag, so that's what i did too. Fortunately, Raegan and I both had our cell phones, so we were able to find each other pretty quickly inside the AAC. All of us found a table to camp out at. Since, Raegan had already changed and eatened, he searched down some food for me while I sat. Isn't he sweet!!! :) I did change into some dry clothes, but I was still freezing sitting there.

While i was sitting there and Raegan, Maurice, and Kelley were off getting some more food, a couple of guys sat down and we were just chatting about the food. Then, Raegan comes over and sits down and one of the guys points at him and says, "Raegan Gill." Come to find out it was a fraternity brother from college and his brother that sat down by us. Again...what a small world! We also found out that Chris (fraternity bro) and Brian (Chris' brother) are also BTers- karhooligan and bkarhu. So, we chatted with them for a bit before they had to head out. K,M,R, and I then deicied that we should be getting home, too, since we had K and M's daughter's bday party to go to that afternoon. Oh, the best part of the warm-down was stopping at Starbuck's on the way home! Peppermint mocha- yum!!!!! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It must be because I wasn't born with a lot of the fast twitch muscle fibers and the natural abilities of an elite runner! ;)

Event comments:

The only complaint would be the organization of the bag drop off area. That definitely is in need of some improvement!

Last updated: 2007-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:57:01 | 13.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 69/515
Overall: 1396/5209
Performance: Good
avg hr- 188, max- 198 splits by their timing mats: 5 miles- 46:00 8 miles- 1:12:50 11 miles- they did have this split yesterday, but it has now disappeared My watch mileage was WAY off!
Course: slightly uphill w/two small hills in the 1st half, and slightly downhill the 2nd half
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-11 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon

2007-12-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1094893

User image

Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon
Way to go Sporty! A PR by 11 minutes!!!  Awesome!
2007-12-11 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

that last mile was forever wasn't it...

Good job getting a PR ona cold windy day out there and even better job finding everyone afterwards, sometimes that is harder than the race itself..

2007-12-11 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Great run Sue!  It sounds like you really left everything you had out there.  You should definitely be proud of a sub 2!
2007-12-11 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Sorry about that shouting thing......I was just experimenting to see if you could set a new PR for max HR......

You did awesome!
2007-12-11 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Fantastic run and report.  It was great seeing you again...it was, what? ....21 years.  WOW!  I look forward to meeting up with you guys at the next race!

Chris

2007-12-11 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
AWESOME RACE! I am hoping that breaking the 2 hour mark in a half is somewhere in my future!
2007-12-11 8:40 PM

User image

Australia
Well done! WHat a finish!!
2007-12-12 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job Sue! It was an honor to finish with you and have both of us set new PRs. Now we can "rest" for a bit, then start figuring out how we can still do races together next year with me being in Austin.
2007-12-13 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Nice job Sue.  I agree...that last mile seemed to take forever!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed