2008-01-27 1:39 AM
in reply to: #1177557

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED
Dr Hammer - 2008-01-26 5:14 PM
jldicarlo - 2008-01-25 5:00 AM

Dr Hammer - 2008-01-24 9:41 AM Saw a gal at the rec center using a stairmill the other day.  The girl was trying to read something while doing it.  Said girl is not very good at multi-tasking it would appear....she was having a hard time keeping up.  I was waiting for a real life version of the George Jetson treadmill scene to happen.  That would have been fun! 
'

Um, yeah...you have to pay attention on the stairmill or you WILL trip.  But that thing will BUST YOUR BUTT!  It's SO hard!

I'll take your word for it.  I know my attention level wains so....avoid it, I do.  

But it's a SUPER good workout!  Just don't trip!

2008-01-28 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1098568

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Hi, everyone!

I've been trying to stop in at everyone's blogs this week.  Some people are blogging, but not all.  Blogging workouts is a great way to see your yearly progress.  And it's a great way for us to harrass each other into workout out too.

In February...BLOG MORE!  It gets addictive.  Trust me.

2008-02-06 8:22 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

So sorry, everyone!  The entire Middle East lost internet for awhile.  I'm finally back up with connectivity...crazy!

How did everyone's January goals go?  I only hit one--finding the gym within 24 hours.  The rest did not go so well....though if the pool had been open here I would have had a good shot at 30k!

2008-02-10 2:42 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Cricket.  Cricket.
2008-02-10 7:44 PM

New user

Oh, sure, first you want us to blog more (I read that as be more consistent with plugging in our workouts b/c that's what I've been lax on lately) and now you are saying that we're too quiet? Heh, you'd think you were disciplined like you were in the military or something...

I really don't have anything interesting to say other than the fact that I think I finally "get" how to breath air while performing the crawl stroke... It's still somewhat of a theory at this point, but it goes something like this... When my head is out of the water, open my mouth and suck in air...stroke, stroke, stroke, and then repeat... I think what was happening before was something to the effect of ... stroke, stroke...oh god, oh god I'm going to suffocate, open mouth suck in air...oh wait, my head hasn't cleared the air/water plane yet...cough, cough, cough...make my best impression of a cat in a bath tub...repeat...
2008-02-11 8:56 PM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Sorry, I've been out of commission, although training a lot. At my gym, there's a woman who does the eliptical trainer with iPOD in earns AND at the same time, does sodoku puzzles out of the newspaper -- she holds the paper right up in front of her face and it bobs up and down right with her and she has pencil in hand and can somehow manage to figure out and fill in the puzzle. Talk about multi-tasking! I have a hard enough time walking and chewing gum!! Had a solid January, dropped 3 pounds the real way -- and have kept them off -- and February is turning into a GREAT month. Feeling great!

BTW: I do not get email notices when notes are posted -- should I?

2008-02-13 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1204105

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

joel.wilkins - 2008-02-10 6:44 PM Oh, sure, first you want us to blog more (I read that as be more consistent with plugging in our workouts b/c that's what I've been lax on lately) and now you are saying that we're too quiet? Heh, you'd think you were disciplined like you were in the military or something... I really don't have anything interesting to say other than the fact that I think I finally "get" how to breath air while performing the crawl stroke... It's still somewhat of a theory at this point, but it goes something like this... When my head is out of the water, open my mouth and suck in air...stroke, stroke, stroke, and then repeat... I think what was happening before was something to the effect of ... stroke, stroke...oh god, oh god I'm going to suffocate, open mouth suck in air...oh wait, my head hasn't cleared the air/water plane yet...cough, cough, cough...make my best impression of a cat in a bath tub...repeat...

SWEET!  Learning to breathe while swimming is totally the key.  I finally felt like a swimmer when I was able to RECOVER while swimming.  Just like you jog between intervals on the track, you can swim easy between intervals in the pool.  And when you finally figure out that breathing thing is when you can start doing that!  You should really see some improvements in the water now....

2008-02-13 6:54 AM
in reply to: #1206367

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Elliot - 2008-02-11 7:56 PM Sorry, I've been out of commission, although training a lot. At my gym, there's a woman who does the eliptical trainer with iPOD in earns AND at the same time, does sodoku puzzles out of the newspaper -- she holds the paper right up in front of her face and it bobs up and down right with her and she has pencil in hand and can somehow manage to figure out and fill in the puzzle. Talk about multi-tasking! I have a hard enough time walking and chewing gum!! Had a solid January, dropped 3 pounds the real way -- and have kept them off -- and February is turning into a GREAT month. Feeling great! BTW: I do not get email notices when notes are posted -- should I?

Congrats on the weightloss!  Keep it rolling in February!  I still can't seem to get any weight off...but I'm still working on it!

As for your multi-tasker...wow...that is crazy.  I never could read anything while on the elliptical or treadmill...I find that I don't push up the intensity enough that way.  If I can still read, I'm not going hard enough!

2008-02-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1208875

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joel,
As a former swim instructor and lifelong open water swimmer (my mom says I was spawned, not born), here are some more suggestions: 1) consciously blow out the air when your face is down so that you are only breathing in -- not out and in -- when you turn your head up 2) relax and stroke in an easy rhythm with your breathing -- if you're losing your breath, your probably trying to swim too fast. Keep at it -- it WILL "click" best of luck!!
2008-02-14 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1209985

New user

Elliot - 2008-02-13 1:46 PM

Joel,
As a former swim instructor and lifelong open water swimmer (my mom says I was spawned, not born), here are some more suggestions: 1) consciously blow out the air when your face is down so that you are only breathing in -- not out and in -- when you turn your head up 2) relax and stroke in an easy rhythm with your breathing -- if you're losing your breath, your probably trying to swim too fast. Keep at it -- it WILL "click" best of luck!!

Elliot,

Awesome encouragement! Thanks I will definitely be implementing your suggestions!! It is getting easier the more I'm in the water. There was a point where I honestly didn't think I'd ever "get it"... Really appreciate the encouragement!
2008-02-16 8:27 PM

New user

So does it count if I hit 100% of planned workouts if it's a "recovery" week?

2008-02-20 2:19 PM

New user

Hello? Is this thing on?
2008-02-22 12:18 PM

New user

Ok, well, if no one else is there I'll just talk to myself about...errr, myself. Very happy with my workout last night. I swam a straight 200 yards freestyle and didn't feel like I was going to die. Of course, it was the warm up, so I wasn't tired...but still! Overall, the whole workout consisted of only 3 switches to breast stroke of which I limited it to 25 yards before forcing myself back into FS.

Very happy about it. Maybe I won't be the last out of the water this October in Austin!!! Ok, well, that's probably getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb here with that statement.

Believe it or not, I'm actually starting to *look forward* to my swim workouts!! Would never have thought that after last year's training...
2008-02-24 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1228764

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
OUTSTANDING!!! Great attitude!!
2008-02-26 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1228764

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

joel.wilkins - 2008-02-22 11:18 AM Ok, well, if no one else is there I'll just talk to myself about...errr, myself. Very happy with my workout last night. I swam a straight 200 yards freestyle and didn't feel like I was going to die. Of course, it was the warm up, so I wasn't tired...but still! Overall, the whole workout consisted of only 3 switches to breast stroke of which I limited it to 25 yards before forcing myself back into FS. Very happy about it. Maybe I won't be the last out of the water this October in Austin!!! Ok, well, that's probably getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb here with that statement. Believe it or not, I'm actually starting to *look forward* to my swim workouts!! Would never have thought that after last year's training...

Awesome progress!!!!   Swimming is FUN.  Repeat after me, "I love swimming."

Sorry it took me awhile to reply....I was on a crew rest/fly/crew rest/fly schedule there for a few days....

2008-02-26 9:27 AM
in reply to: #1216438

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

joel.wilkins - 2008-02-16 7:27 PM So does it count if I hit 100% of planned workouts if it's a "recovery" week?

YES.  Recovery is just as important as workouts!

2008-02-28 3:02 PM

New user

Ok, well, I tried... I hit my first two goals for February. Don't think I'll hit the 105 miles run for the month of Feb., nor the 17000 yards swam, but I did hit my first 300 yard straight swim doing freestyle this afternoon, so I'm going to claim victory for the month.

I really want to give all of you props for all the encouragement. It's made all the difference for me. I honestly never thought I'd get to this point in my swimming. It's all much appreciated.
2008-03-06 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1242083

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
well, Feb was a solid month. Of course, a few days ago, I discovered that there were only 112 days until the Philadelphia Tri. For the last 15 weeks, I've been training just to get in shape. Now with 14 or so weeks to go, I have to switch into serious training mode -- total panic when I looked at the Olympic training programs (being a baby sprinter). That combined with a nasty flu which has kept me bedridden 4 days . . . . I'm feeling kind of anxious about the whole thing. I know I can go out and do 1500 yards in the pool -- no problem. I know I can go out and do 25 miles on the bike no problem. 10k run -- tough. Stack all 3 together ???!!!! the volume of olympic training is intimidating, especially because I am starting a new job in 3 weeks with a 45 minute commute (right now, my office is 5 minutes away and the gym only 5 minutes from there!). Oh well, I guess I'll just do the best I can and if I have to walk the last few miles, oh well . . . . QUESTION: Is a wetsuit necessary? I've done sprints just in a bathing suit, but I've read that for the olympic length, a wetsuit is a big help -- give buoyancy so the effort goes more into forward motion than to staying afloat. Thoughts??
2008-03-08 4:31 AM
in reply to: #1242083

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

joel.wilkins - 2008-02-28 2:02 PM Ok, well, I tried... I hit my first two goals for February. Don't think I'll hit the 105 miles run for the month of Feb., nor the 17000 yards swam, but I did hit my first 300 yard straight swim doing freestyle this afternoon, so I'm going to claim victory for the month. I really want to give all of you props for all the encouragement. It's made all the difference for me. I honestly never thought I'd get to this point in my swimming. It's all much appreciated.

That's what we're here for, Joel!  Glad to know we made a difference.  Congrats on the month's victory!

2008-03-08 4:42 AM
in reply to: #1257407

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Elliot - 2008-03-06 4:35 PM well, Feb was a solid month. Of course, a few days ago, I discovered that there were only 112 days until the Philadelphia Tri. For the last 15 weeks, I've been training just to get in shape. Now with 14 or so weeks to go, I have to switch into serious training mode -- total panic when I looked at the Olympic training programs (being a baby sprinter). That combined with a nasty flu which has kept me bedridden 4 days . . . . I'm feeling kind of anxious about the whole thing. I know I can go out and do 1500 yards in the pool -- no problem. I know I can go out and do 25 miles on the bike no problem. 10k run -- tough. Stack all 3 together ???!!!! the volume of olympic training is intimidating, especially because I am starting a new job in 3 weeks with a 45 minute commute (right now, my office is 5 minutes away and the gym only 5 minutes from there!). Oh well, I guess I'll just do the best I can and if I have to walk the last few miles, oh well . . . . QUESTION: Is a wetsuit necessary? I've done sprints just in a bathing suit, but I've read that for the olympic length, a wetsuit is a big help -- give buoyancy so the effort goes more into forward motion than to staying afloat. Thoughts??

RELAX and follow the training plan.   The KEY to FINISH will be to go easy on the bike.  So many people RACE the bike and go nuts and then have to walk the whole run.  PACING, my friend...pacing.

As for the time crunch...I would say that if you get  crunched for time, do you weakness.  People always workout their strength the most...because you like to do what you're good at.  But if you work your weakness youw ill be a better athlete.

The wetsuit is definitely more of a factor at the Oly and longer distances.  If you think you'll be in tri's for awhile, investing in a wetsuit is a great idea.  Some other things to consider....

Water temp?  If it's not going to be wetsuit legal (less than 78 I think?? but don't quote me) then it isn't worth it.
Sleeves or sleeveless?  Level of wetsuit?  When I bought my wetsuit...let's go back a few years.  It was my first tri ever...and I was looking at the website.  And EVERYONE on the website was wearing a wetsuit!  I had no idea if I was going to like tri's or not, but I didn't want to be the only person not in a wetsuit!  So I ended up buying myself an entry level wetsuit from Promotion.  I went sleeveless so I could move my arms easily.  But the key here is that I didn't spend a lot of money on it.  Now that I've been in the sport a few more years, I want to invest in a good wetsuit.  Bottom line...if you want one, stick to something simple.  My entry level wetsuit lasted me three seasons.  It would last longer if I didn't want a better one.....

Personally I hate wetsuits and wish all races were non-wetsuit.  I wear one because it does make me marginally faster.  You can get away without it if you're still unsure....

Clear as mud?

2008-03-18 10:09 PM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Thanks for the suggestions -- running is my weakest sport and least enjoyable -- I guess that means it's job #1!! Also, good thoughts regarding a wetsuit -- as someone who learned how to swim as a 5 year old in the Long Island Sound and Atlantic Ocean (Long Island south shore) I love the open water and wouldn't use a wetsuit except that I've read it can cut several minutes off the swim . . . . .
I finally got clip on aerobars -- profile design carbon stryke -- and installed them over the weekend. THis week, I'm between jobs and so I'm taking off and today I hit the road with the aerobars for the first time. I definitely felt a significant difference, especially on the long gradual inclines. Terrific!!

2008-03-19 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1279610

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Elliot - 2008-03-18 9:09 PM Thanks for the suggestions -- running is my weakest sport and least enjoyable -- I guess that means it's job #1!! Also, good thoughts regarding a wetsuit -- as someone who learned how to swim as a 5 year old in the Long Island Sound and Atlantic Ocean (Long Island south shore) I love the open water and wouldn't use a wetsuit except that I've read it can cut several minutes off the swim . . . . . I finally got clip on aerobars -- profile design carbon stryke -- and installed them over the weekend. THis week, I'm between jobs and so I'm taking off and today I hit the road with the aerobars for the first time. I definitely felt a significant difference, especially on the long gradual inclines. Terrific!!

Aerobars are great.  I miss mine...I have my road bike out here in the desert and when it's windy I REALLY miss them.  And I am used to my arms taking the pressure...my hands keep falling asleep holding onto the handlebars here!

2008-03-20 10:22 AM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
2 NEW QUESTIONS:

1. Last season, my first, I did 2 sprint tri's and wore my swimsuit (jammer style) for the whole race. This season, I'm planning olympic races and will need some extra padding down below for the cycling -- what do folks think about triathlon shorts? How are they for swimming and running? What about triathlon suits (shorts attached to a top)?

2. This is kind of embarrassing but here goes: chafed nipples from running -- how does a guy avoid this?

Thanks and keep on pulling!
2008-03-20 1:29 PM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Excellent profile of US Nat'l Swim team member Ryan Lochte, including training tips from his coach -- more kicking drills.

Here is a link to my Facebook page, where the article is posted: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=648881841
2008-03-20 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1282722

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Elliot - 2008-03-20 9:22 AM 2 NEW QUESTIONS: 1. Last season, my first, I did 2 sprint tri's and wore my swimsuit (jammer style) for the whole race. This season, I'm planning olympic races and will need some extra padding down below for the cycling -- what do folks think about triathlon shorts? How are they for swimming and running? What about triathlon suits (shorts attached to a top)? 2. This is kind of embarrassing but here goes: chafed nipples from running -- how does a guy avoid this? Thanks and keep on pulling!

Okay, tri shorts are GREAT.  I wear them on all my rides.  I haven't worn "bike shorts" in years.  Your butt WILL get used to the tri shorts.  They are great for swim/run...just like wearing jammers (um, I am imagining that of course, having never worn jammers).  I wear tri shorts and a tri top for all my tri's and don't ever change...wear them for all three sports.

Tri SUITS are great too.  I have one of those.  They are kinda hard to pee in (for a chick) because you have to completely undress.  But the boys don't have that problem--just hike the leg up!  Of course, if you have to go #2 in a race...you're stuck with the chicks.  But tri suits often have a little less drag than a separate top/shorts and for ME it keeps my shirt from riding up over my pot belly.  Nice feature.

My former coach used to tuck his tri top INTO his shorts...like the whole thing tucked in like a thin tire so he wouldn't have to try to pull it on over his head during transition.  If you wear the tri shorts and no top for the swim but you WANT to wear a top for the rest it can be tricky to get dressed in transition.

Nipple chafing?  I have seen folks use bandaids...this really should not be a problem until the marathon or half ironman distance.  Vaseline is my favorite anti-chafe technique.

But maybe some of the guys will pipe up about the nipple chafing....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6