of 6

2007-12-12 6:46 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED

NAME: jldicarlo / Jennifer
STORY:
I have a pretty typical story of how I got into triathlons. A runner by trade, I heard about a really fun long distance bike event that I wanted to do. So I bought a bike and trained for it. Then a few months later my grad school built a brand new Olympic size swimming pool so I started swimming. Poof...a triathlete is born. I've never been very good, but I'm very crazy! Never one to jump in hesitantly, I did my first triathlon in 2004 at the Buffalo Springs Lake Half Ironman, one of the hardest Half Ironmans in the US. I was undertrained, unprepared, uneducated about the sport...but I did it anyway! I was TRULY a beginner triathlete! I still remember being in T2 standing there doing my mental checklist to make sure I had everything and I was SO SLOW that the guy who came in second overall was already dismantling his transition area. He told me to make sure I carried some water. Laughing Despite these rough beginnings, I kept coming back for more! Injury has held me back in the last few seasons, but I am still very active in racing. I learn more and more every year and every race!
FAMILY STATUS: Single, with dogs
CURRENT TRAINING: I'm on the zero to IM plan right now. I am bouncing back from several surgeries but plan on IMAZ in Nov 08. The first half of the year I plan on just trying to build up a good base without my techie gear. Then when I get back from my deployment (I'm in the middle east from Jan to July) I will return to my techie gadgets and am still toying with the idea of using a coach.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: I only did three races in 2007:

St. A's Oly because it's a big BT party.
The local sprint because it was an excuse to get my w/o's in while the parents were visiting.
And, of course, I love to do the Horsetooth 10k swim. I'm a big swimmer.
I had knee surgery on 4 Sep 07 so that put an end to my season.

2008 RACES:

The only race I have planned is IMAZ in Nov 08. It will be my first IM! I am deploying to the middle east from the end of Jan to the end of July so I am trying not to make too many plans. I definitely want to swim the 10k swim again in August and if I get home in time I want to do the Boulder Peak Oly again. I need a HIM in Aug/Sep somewhere too. And once the IM is over I want to do another marathon.

My BIG 2008 season goal is to remain uninjured.

WEIGHTLOSS: Wow. I need to lose some SERIOUS weight. I would like to be 40lbs down by IMAZ. That whole knee surgery thing didn't do anything for my weight! I got my work cut out for me!!!!! I am currently working with a nutritionist. Her plan is AWESOME but I suck at following it!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been floating around the tri world for quite some time. I have raced everything up to the HIM distance and I have done several of them. I have or have used many of the techno gadgets out there and I had a coach for a year and a half. So, I know a fair amount about training. I've been through the injury thing MULTIPLE times. I guess you could say I've been around. I got a lot of info and help from BT when I first joined so I want to give back! I am supposed to have a fair amount of free time while I am deployed, so that will give me lots of time to be on BT!

Edited by jldicarlo 2007-12-28 10:46 AM

2007-12-26 3:03 AM
in reply to: #1098568

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: jldicarlo's group -- open

Bump! And gratuitously padding my post count while doing it.

C'mon!  Any takers?  I know you're out there! 

2007-12-26 4:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community

EDIT: I've sent an e-mail to your profile address........

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by Krakatoa 2007-12-26 2:52 PM
2007-12-26 2:38 PM

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Jennifer,

I would like to join your group.  Like you, I will be doing the fall edition of IMAZ.

Took 2007 off from racing Tris and am jumping in as of 12/17 and starting from scratch and build nothing but base.   I did IMCDA in 2006 and had a group of 5 people from around the country that banned together and all finished the race.  We were from different backgrounds, different abilities and covered the USA but continued to build each other thru the 20 weeks of training.

Second reason for picking you is I suck at swimming, and you seem to be solid

Third reason is I love folks in the military, my family includes many career service folks.

Family Status:   Married/ 18 years, two kids - son (12) and daughter (8) and a great dog!

Current Training:  Nothing over Z2, in week 2 of 16 straight weeks.   I want to peak for some local races in June/July then focus on the IM beginning in late July till race day.

This year's races:  No tris, only running one marathon in April and a half-marathon in Sept.   All the running and I ended up injured and haven't done much since late september.

2008 Race:  Planned

April - CMM marathon - run for fun, its a tradition.  June - Mach Tenn Sprint/ 10 mile Moon pie run.   July - Waterfront OLY/ Cedars of Lebanon Sprint.  Sept:  either Atomic man 1/2IM (prep) or Murfreesboro half marathon.  November - IMAZ.

What else would you like to know?

2007-12-26 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1117316

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Blueraider_Mike - 2007-12-26 1:38 PM

Jennifer,

I would like to join your group. Like you, I will be doing the fall edition of IMAZ.

Took 2007 off from racing Tris and am jumping in as of 12/17 and starting from scratch and build nothing but base. I did IMCDA in 2006 and had a group of 5 people from around the country that banned together and all finished the race. We were from different backgrounds, different abilities and covered the USA but continued to build each other thru the 20 weeks of training.

Second reason for picking you is I suck at swimming, and you seem to be solid

Third reason is I love folks in the military, my family includes many career service folks.

Family Status: Married/ 18 years, two kids - son (12) and daughter (8) and a great dog!

Current Training: Nothing over Z2, in week 2 of 16 straight weeks. I want to peak for some local races in June/July then focus on the IM beginning in late July till race day.

This year's races: No tris, only running one marathon in April and a half-marathon in Sept. All the running and I ended up injured and haven't done much since late september.

2008 Race: Planned

April - CMM marathon - run for fun, its a tradition. June - Mach Tenn Sprint/ 10 mile Moon pie run. July - Waterfront OLY/ Cedars of Lebanon Sprint. Sept: either Atomic man 1/2IM (prep) or Murfreesboro half marathon. November - IMAZ.

What else would you like to know?

Welcome aboard!

Woohoo!  Another Fall IMAZ'er who is starting from SCRATCH!  YES!

I am totally in the exact same spot as you right now...didn't do much in 2007 but have big plans for 2008!  This should be FUN!

Yes, I am very good at swimming, so fire away if you want any help!

You said you ended up injured from all the running?  What did you hurt? 

Time to add you to my friends list...  

2007-12-26 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1117614

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Heels, maybe PF, not really sure.  I did run 10 miles this afternoon, longest run in over 4 months.  Does not hurt while running, but at night and in the AM, ouch.  Iced them good this evening.

2007-12-26 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1117831

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Blueraider_Mike - 2007-12-26 8:21 PM Heels, maybe PF, not really sure. I did run 10 miles this afternoon, longest run in over 4 months. Does not hurt while running, but at night and in the AM, ouch. Iced them good this evening.

Oh, I have PF problems right now too.  I'm trying not to run on it.  Lots of ART and stuff....I wish it would go away.  

2007-12-27 12:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1118645

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

stjohn2912 - 2007-12-27 11:10 AM Do you have room for one more member? Though I have completed a couple of triathlons over the past few years (three sprints, one international and one half-ironman) I have never approached one with the right training foundation; I always had good intentions but ended up simply trying to survive each race. I am hoping that being a member of a group will be the motivating factor to consistently train for a race. I am a decent runner by nature, an okay rider, but not a very good swimmer. I noticed in your bio that swimming is a strong point for you, that is what caught my attention. Room for one more? Please? Andy

PLENTY of room!  You are only the second person!   Come on in!  The water's FINE!

I think we could all use some consistent training so that could be a good group goal.  When I was coached my coached preached consistency all the time.  I mean...if you're out there day after day executing the plan you WILL get better!

2007-12-27 3:52 PM

Indianapolis
is the group still open. i would like to join if possible.
2007-12-27 4:22 PM

2007-12-27 4:34 PM

New user

Hello, I'm interested in this group if there's still room.

NAME: Joel Wilkins

STORY: 32 years old. Live in Bedford, Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth area). Work in Irving for a large software company - so long hours are pretty much assumed at specific times of the year. Also working on my Master's degree in Computer Science part time. I became interested in triathlon last season and ran a sprint (in Houston in August!!! Ugggh) and then I ran an Olympic race in Austin over Labor day weekend. I’ve been running pretty much my entire adult life - 3 marathons, 6 half marathons, several 10k's & uncountable 5k's. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but I have pretty decent endurance. Absolutely dread the swimming leg (and nearly gave up on the first half of the Austin triathlon when we had to swim upstream on the Colorado river). Biking is fine for me (and usually pretty enjoyable) but that probably just means that I'm not doing it correctly :-).

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced, no kids, but two high strung dogs (Husky & Malamute).

CURRENT TRAINING: I completed the White Rock marathon at the beginning of the month and have been sick/injured since. I stopped logging my workouts on BT after the last triathlon in September, but haven't completely stopped working out. I transitioned into my running season directly after Labor day and so have not been back in the pool or on the saddle since then.

PREVIOUS RACES: Very disappointed with my two previous triathlon races. I'd psyched myself out so much over the open water swimming that I just set myself up for horrible races. The Olympic distance ended with me walking due to pretty bad leg cramps.

2008 RACES: This year I would really like to do multiple races - 3 or 4 sprints, 2 maybe 3 Olympic distance races and possibly a Half-Ironman (looking at either the PrairieMan - local race, or the Buffalo Springs in Lubbock, TX). But first, I have to get over my phobia of the swim start :-). This year is mainly focused on consistency and improving my overall competitiveness in all 3 sports.
2007-12-27 4:58 PM

Sometimes Sunny South Florida
Hi, if you've got the room for one more, I would like to join.

My name is Patrick and I live in mostly Sunny South Florida.
I am 38 yo and married with one great kid.

Warning - I am a total beginner to triathlon racing, and this site...
I used to run 5k's frequently, but that was some years, many pounds, and two knee arthroscopies ago.

I have signed up for my first triathlon - a sprint - in early May, I'm hoping that is enough time to get up to speed.
In February I've signed up for a 5k as a warm up to gauge my lost running abilities.
2007-12-27 6:15 PM

Expert
WV

Is there still room at this inn?  I would like to join your group if possible. 

NAME: Dr Hammer/ Suzie
STORY: I was runner by tradition.  I ran for several years until work and life got in the way.  I have been on BT for a few years.  I still have yet to complete a triathlon, sigh.  I got interested in tri through a friend/training partner.  My first year was spent getting comfortable with the water.  In particular, deep water… I nearly drowned when young and haven’t been too fond of water.  I had a coach and we did a couple OWS swims that were good.  My 2nd year, I finished my graduate degree, training partner left, had a significant bike crash (2nd degree concussion, fx scapula, 3+ AC separation)in Apr., and at the end of the summer I moved.  3rd year,  I have moved again.  I haven’t swum since the move. 
FAMILY STATUS: Single, with dog
CURRENT TRAINING: I'm working on my plan as we speak.  I would like to finish a HIM by this fall.  I am currently running more than anything.  I been working on consistency of 5-6 times per week but got a GI virus last week.  Sucks the training right out of you. 
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  None.  Work and life got in the way.  I need to do a better job of making me a priority and not everyone else.

2008 RACES:  Still working out the possibilities.  It really comes down to my summer travel schedule with USATF.  I would like to run a ½ marathon this spring.  Do at least 2-3 olympics before a fall HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose some weight.  All the moving and life issues have made it difficult to train.  I have added about 15 since I started grad school 7 years ago. 

Edited by Dr Hammer 2007-12-27 8:07 PM
2007-12-27 7:40 PM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Room for 1 more?

Quick Bio:
Married (17 very happy years) with 3 kids, 14, 12, 9 (girl/boy/girl) and 10 month old "puppy" (70 pound chocolate lab!!).
Started training around Thanksgiving 2006, joined BT in December '07 and completed 2 sprints last summer (NJ State, Buckman -- you can see my race logs). Buckman, in mid-September took a lot out of me and I suffered a few injuries and a nagging flu -- just returning now to serious training.
GOALS: 1. Transition to Olympic for summer '08 -- registered for Philadelphia Olympic and hope to also do the Buckman again -- to conquer it this time (rather than straggle to the end (NJ State was an incredible race, but Buckman was WAY harder and I was not adequately trained for the hills)). 2. Trim down another 10 lbs and KEEP IT OFF.
Always looking for encouragement and help in staying on program. Look forward to getting to know y'all.
2007-12-27 8:31 PM

2007-12-28 10:01 AM

Expert
Tulsa
How many people can be in one group? I would like to join if there is still room. Let me know and i'll post my bio.
2007-12-28 10:45 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Wow...I leave my mentor thread for a day and it explodes!  Yay!  Okay, everybody above this post is IN (I haven't even counted yet, but that's okay).  I'll go close it after this.

Give me some time today to reply to your threads.  I have to go into work this afternoon then squeeze in workouts after work then pack to go to CO but I will also reply to everyone tonight!  

2007-12-28 12:35 PM

Expert
Tulsa
Subject: RE: jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED
NAME: Ballyard7 / John

STORY: I started running in high school as a way to lose weight. I ended up loving to run and have stuck with it ever since. This time last year i started getting tired of running everyday and wanted some variety. So i decided to do a triathlon. Luckly a tri group started up at my local YMCA at the same time with a bunch of beginners. So at least i had a few people to train with. So i did a super sprint in april and have been hooked ever since.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 2 1/2 years with 3 dogs and a kid on the way.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm on week 7 on a 20 week half ironman plan. I have a HIM in march so i'm in full swing. Although i'm finding the winter weather tough to deal with (for biking).

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

I did one half marathon, 2 - 10k's and 5 - 5k's
3 - 60 mile bike races.
1 - Duathlon
Claremore OK sprint (April) - My first tri
Tulsa Triathlon Olympic (June) - My first Oly
Arkadelphia Mountain Man Oly (August) -
Redman Half Ironman (September) - My first HIM...I was a little undertrained and ended up walking the last 4 miles of the run. It was a good learning experience though.
As you can see, i didn't like the shorter stuff much and made a quick leap to the longer distances.

2008 RACES:

Lake McMurtury Challenge (Feb) - Moutain bike race
Ironman California 70.3 March
Claremore sprint tri (April)
Oklahoma City Half Marathon (April)
Ironman Kansas 70.3 (June)
Tulsa Triathlon Olympic (June)
Hotter than Hell Hundred (August)
Tulsa Run 15k (October)
Route 66 Marathon (November)
Redman 70.3 September
Goal is to do Ironman Couer D' Alene 140.6 in 2009
A bunch of 10k's and 5k's throughout the year as well.

My BIG 2008 season goal is to get in shape for the Ironman 2009

WEIGHTLOSS: I want to drop 10 pounds before March.

2007-12-28 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1116712

New user

Home
Hi - I'm at work now and procrastinated on getting into this earlier...

I used to do triathlons in my younger days and today marks another year older. I'd like to join your group if it's still open. I will check back later and update my profile and such this weekend.

So for now, is this the correct way to get into your mentor list?
tks
d
[email protected]
myspace.com/scrapstervibetrack
2007-12-28 3:57 PM

Indianapolis
Subject: RE: jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED
Background, I am 31, a paramedic, and former infantry marine. Since getting out of the Corps I have struggled with my weight. When I got out I weighed about 208 lbs and had very little body fat. Last year at this time I was up to 280lbs and enjoying all the food that I went so many years without. May 2007 I did the Indy Mini Marathon. Since then I have been casually training and am now down to 232lbs. I would love to take things to the next level and complete a triathalon, ( distance tbd) and a marathon in 2008. I am already signed up for the mini in may 2008. I think that this group will be great for me and will be a way to hold myself accountable. I have a lot of questions when it comes to training and what program is suitable. I have never really raced on a bike but look forward to the challenge. I am just getting into the swimming and once I get into shape can be a good runner. I look forward to working with everyone.

2007-12-28 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1119108

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: thanks for including me

stjohn2912 - 2007-12-27 3:22 PM NAME: Andy STORY: I have been in law enforcement for the past 21 years with a large police department in North Carolina. As such, my hours can be rather crazy, certainly my diet isn't what it should be, and consisent amounts of rest come inconsistently. In May 2006, I survived the Half-Ironman down in Disney (97 degrees on race day) and shortly after that I started working a second almost full-time position as an Internal Auditor (after earning my Master's Degree I went back to earn my CPA to prepare for career #2). So I haven't done any training in about a 1 1/2 years. However, for the next three months I've got to attend a series of graduate courses in Leadership & Management so my police hours will become regular school hours and my internal auditors hours are put on hold until June. I'm hoping to use the next 3-4 months to get back into the swing again, develop a foundation that'll keep me goiong throughout the remainder of the year. CURRENT TRAINING: Just started running again. Haven't swam or ridden my bike since Disney. THIS YEAR'S RACES: None, but I did get to work 70-80 hours per week 2008 RACES: There is a new 1/2 ironman at the coast in November; if the next three months go well I'd like to try that.

Welcome, Andy!  I know all about the crazy hours thing.  It's enough to drive you nuts!  And it is certainly my most challenging training aspect.  It used to annoy my coach too because I really couldn't tell him what I would be doing next week.  

I'm glad you are ready to get back into the swing of exercising.  It will help EVERYTHING in life. A HIM is a pretty lofty goal, but reachable.  Just make sure you keep evaluating that goal based on how the spring training goes! 

2007-12-28 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1119137

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

joel.wilkins - 2007-12-27 3:34 PM Hello, I'm interested in this group if there's still room. NAME: Joel Wilkins STORY: 32 years old. Live in Bedford, Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth area). Work in Irving for a large software company - so long hours are pretty much assumed at specific times of the year. Also working on my Master's degree in Computer Science part time. I became interested in triathlon last season and ran a sprint (in Houston in August!!! Ugggh) and then I ran an Olympic race in Austin over Labor day weekend. I’ve been running pretty much my entire adult life - 3 marathons, 6 half marathons, several 10k's & uncountable 5k's. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but I have pretty decent endurance. Absolutely dread the swimming leg (and nearly gave up on the first half of the Austin triathlon when we had to swim upstream on the Colorado river). Biking is fine for me (and usually pretty enjoyable) but that probably just means that I'm not doing it correctly :-). FAMILY STATUS: Divorced, no kids, but two high strung dogs (Husky & Malamute). CURRENT TRAINING: I completed the White Rock marathon at the beginning of the month and have been sick/injured since. I stopped logging my workouts on BT after the last triathlon in September, but haven't completely stopped working out. I transitioned into my running season directly after Labor day and so have not been back in the pool or on the saddle since then. PREVIOUS RACES: Very disappointed with my two previous triathlon races. I'd psyched myself out so much over the open water swimming that I just set myself up for horrible races. The Olympic distance ended with me walking due to pretty bad leg cramps. 2008 RACES: This year I would really like to do multiple races - 3 or 4 sprints, 2 maybe 3 Olympic distance races and possibly a Half-Ironman (looking at either the PrairieMan - local race, or the Buffalo Springs in Lubbock, TX). But first, I have to get over my phobia of the swim start :-). This year is mainly focused on consistency and improving my overall competitiveness in all 3 sports.

Hi, Joel!

I have lived in Wichita Falls, TX and Abilene, TX so I hear ya on the hot racing thing.  Whew.  Texas is toasty in the summer.  I have raced both Prairieman and Buffalo Springs.  Great races.  Buffalo Springs is my favorite but is by far the harder of the two.

We can work on the swimming thing.  But a good starting point is to swim lots.  The more you swim, the more comfortable you are in the water and therefore the more confidence you will have at the swim start.  I don't like swim starts either...so violent!

I like that one of your goals is consistency.  That really is absolutely KEY to any sport.  If you are out there day after day putting in the time you WILL get better! 

2007-12-28 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1119202

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

PKAZZO - 2007-12-27 3:58 PM Hi, if you've got the room for one more, I would like to join. My name is Patrick and I live in mostly Sunny South Florida. I am 38 yo and married with one great kid. Warning - I am a total beginner to triathlon racing, and this site... I used to run 5k's frequently, but that was some years, many pounds, and two knee arthroscopies ago. I have signed up for my first triathlon - a sprint - in early May, I'm hoping that is enough time to get up to speed. In February I've signed up for a 5k as a warm up to gauge my lost running abilities.

Welcome, Patrick!

May is PLENTY of time to get up to speed!  We here at BeginnerTriathlete.com LOVE to help out beginners.  Hence, the name.  

There are several free beginner plans on the site.  Have you looked into importing one of them to get you training towards your race in May? 

2007-12-28 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1119350

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Dr Hammer - 2007-12-27 5:15 PM

Is there still room at this inn? I would like to join your group if possible.

NAME: Dr Hammer/ Suzie
STORY: I was runner by tradition. I ran for several years until work and life got in the way. I have been on BT for a few years. I still have yet to complete a triathlon, sigh. I got interested in tri through a friend/training partner. My first year was spent getting comfortable with the water. In particular, deep water… I nearly drowned when young and haven’t been too fond of water. I had a coach and we did a couple OWS swims that were good. My 2nd year, I finished my graduate degree, training partner left, had a significant bike crash (2nd degree concussion, fx scapula, 3+ AC separation)in Apr., and at the end of the summer I moved. 3rd year, I have moved again. I haven’t swum since the move.
FAMILY STATUS: Single, with dog
CURRENT TRAINING: I'm working on my plan as we speak. I would like to finish a HIM by this fall. I am currently running more than anything. I been working on consistency of 5-6 times per week but got a GI virus last week. Sucks the training right out of you.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: None. Work and life got in the way. I need to do a better job of making me a priority and not everyone else.

2008 RACES: Still working out the possibilities. It really comes down to my summer travel schedule with USATF. I would like to run a ½ marathon this spring. Do at least 2-3 olympics before a fall HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose some weight. All the moving and life issues have made it difficult to train. I have added about 15 since I started grad school 7 years ago.

There is ALWAYS room at this inn!  Welcome, Suzie!

Life is always getting in the way, isn't it?  And it comes in waves too.  As long as you're still picking yourself up and starting again, you haven't lost yet!  You are correct that you just have to make the working out a priority. We'll help you get on your way.   I need to work on those same things! 

I do seem to have attracted all people who hate the water or the swim portion, so I guess I have my work cut out for me making y'all see how much FUN swimming can be!!!!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6