Pardeeville, WI
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 4s
Overall Rank = 158/276
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/15
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine turned into a comedy of errors...
Woke up at 5:15 and got ready. Picked up GF at 6:30 for 1/2 hour drive. However, the drive turned out to be closer to an hour. We got there at 7:30 and registration closed at 7:45 and the race started at 8. So I was panicky. There was nowhere to park so I told GF I would grab my stuff and go register. I thought it woule be a good idea to pump up my tires first. Wrong. I had no idea that the presta valves needed to be unscrewed to pump them. All this time training with my neighbors bike I had been keeping them closed and pumping into nothing. No wonder they were always alll the way inflated when I tried to pump them! So I pumped and then went to put the cap on and all the air in the tire came out. Not knowing about the valves, I thought I had a flat. I started to panic. Then I asked a guy who was parked near me and he set me straight.

Ok, so I jumped on my bike with my duffle bag of stuff. I got ten feet before the duffle bag went into the front wheel and I almost fell over. The bag ripped, stuff fell out, and the magnet for my cyclometer came loose.

I picked the stuff up and walked the bike to registration. Then into transition. There was nowhere to put my stuff. WHY THE HELL ARE THEY SO CHINTZY WITH THE BIKE SPACE!?! So finally I found a spot in overflow and had to pile my stuff on top of other peoples. My bag with running stuff was in one place, my bike gear in another.
Event warmup:

None. I didn't have time because of my own stupidity.
Swim
  • 08m 51s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started at the back and to the outside as people on here had advised. This turned out to be a bad idea as there were some really poor swimmers that were in front of me and they boxed me in. After I rounded the first buoy I managed to get some space. I looked up and saw the other buoy and it looked really far away so I decided to settle into an easy lap pace. My plan was not to waste a lot of energy trying to go fast on the swim since there would be limited returns for the energy expended.

I didn't get passed after the start, and I passed a few people, but since I started in the back of the pack that wasn't a big accomplishment.

I was neck in neck with this other guy in an orange cap most of the way and we kept bumping into one another. He got ahead of me at the second buoy, but that was actually good as the sun was right in my eyes and I had no idea which way I was going. I followed him and cruised into shore. Then had to run 300yds into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Try starting in the middle of the pack. I think I would rather be jostled more instead of getting boxed in for the first 1/3 of the swim. It was frustrating going that slowly.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

T1 wasn't too bad. I actually was fine with putting on socks and shoes. Time includes 300 yd run to the transition area.Everything went smoothly until I got to the mount line. I heard a voice behind me say "Hey Blue! Your chain!" I looked around. "Your chain is off!" he said. My stupid duffel bag mishap had made my chain come off. Good thing he told me though as I would have clipped in and fallen over otherwise. So I fixed it pretty quickly and I was on my way

Get to the race earlier so I can check my bike over.

Organize things better and practice transitions more.

Possible lose the socks.
Bike
  • 49m 12s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I took off on the bike and felt good. I had not wasted energy swimming inefficiently and I started dropping people in my wave right away. I was cruising around 18-19 mph on flats for most of the course.

The bike was fun. I liked sighting people and trying to pass them or at leat not get dropped. I got passed by the super fast types in the wave behind me and by the 24 and under women at the end. But for the most part I don't think anyone in my own wave passed me and I passed a few of them.

I remember thinking around mile 12 "I am not going to come in last! I have passed like 5 people from wave 2!"

My tactic that I had planned before the race was not to go all out on hills. I got passed on hills a few times by people standing up, but I smoked them on the downhill while their legs were recovering and I never saw them again.It was a good strategy and having ridden the course once was really helpful

The bike was really fun!

Downed my whole 20 oz bottle of gatorade and water.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I stopped to dismount. No moving jumps for me since I figured I had had enough mishaps for one day.

I couldn't find where GF put my watch when I realized I was still wearing it right before my race. I had told her to put it in my shoes but it wasn't there.She hadn't heard me say "shoes" and just put it in my bag. Not her fault at all though though I blamed her when I saw her at T2. Bad boyfriend..She forgives me though :) I searched around for it a bit in my bag but couldn't find it so I just took off without.

Get there earlier so I could set up all my stuff the way I wanted and not blame GF for things that are because of my own bad planning.
Run
  • 24m 49s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I took off on my run and got a quick drink of water at the aid station right outside T2. Everyone in front of me was turning the water down but I went for it, and it was good and cold! I was happy I had had it.

I started passing a lot of the guys that passed me on the bike early on. I also passed a few people in my wave. I only got passed four times I think and it was all by the women coming up behind me.

I couldn't believe how slow everyone seemed to be going! I thought there was something wrong with me. I wasn't THAT speedy, but compared to what I expected I was fast. I think a lot of people left it all on the bike course. It started to get hot as the sun was up more by then, but I kept pace. I had no idea how fast I was going as I didn't have a watch so I just went with feel. I was smiling to myself as I passed two guys that were younger and more muscular than me. Not a lardass smoker anymore, are you? I thought.

I got a drink at the second aid station and then saw the 2 mile marker at the turnaround. I decided to pick the pace up a notch, and then quickly realized that that was a bad idea so I stayed with my pace until I saw the chute. I sprinted (more like jogged but it felt like sprinting!) into the chute and crossed the time pad at 1:33:34 (1:28:04 from my wave start). GF was right there and I gave her a big hug. I got a bit teary-eyed. I had done it!

Not much. The run was good. I would start training without socks though as I got a blister a bit of the way through the run. Not too bad since the run was short but might have been bad on 10k.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat in the shade and ate a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I think I peformed well. I just need to lose more weight and train more.

I will definitely get to the next one earlier.

I think I need to mostly work on LSD and get my base up now that I have my first race under my belt.

Event comments:

My first tri! I don't have much to compare it to, but it was fun!

Last updated: 2005-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:51 | 450 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 0/276
Performance: Average
Suit: trishorts
Course: It was a U shaped course with entrance and exit in different places. It was a nice set-up.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:12 | 15 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/15
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills through farmland in a big 15 mile loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:49 | 03.2 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/15
Performance:
Course: Flat course on the streets of downtown pardeeville-not much of a downtown!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-07-02 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: Pardeeville Triathlon

2005-07-02 2:33 PM
in reply to: #188953

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Pardeeville Triathlon
Sounds like you had an absolutely FABULOUS race despite your shaky start.

I can hardly wait to see your times and relative finishes...
2005-07-02 2:51 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Sounds like you had a great time and did great!  Congrats on finishing your first tri!

Don't worry about being a little stressed in T2, but do make sure you apologize (it happens to the best of us in a race situation.)

We all have to have those experiences of not being able to find anything, and feeling completely unorganized.  No biggie.

2005-07-02 5:04 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
OCngratulatioins..this was your first race right??  Thigns will be better the second time organization wise.  HOpe you had fun and great time  
2005-07-02 9:51 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Race!! You are a triathlete...ex-smoker and doing fabulous at getting fit!!

Sounds like you had a great experience and that you learned a few things to improve on next time. Loved your race report and finding humor in situations.

When is your next race?

2005-07-03 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Thanks for your support all. My splits are in my log. I couldn't figure out how to edit this report.

2005-07-03 10:50 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
On the top of your RR there's a button called "Members Race List."  Click on that, and then you'll see a list of all the races you've ever entered.  Once you're in the list view, there's an edit function to the right where you can change your RR. 
2005-07-03 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Congratulations on completing your first tri. Well done.

-Rob

2005-07-03 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Way to go, very good time and great effort. Glad you still got the girl friend !!

manatee express
2005-07-06 8:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job on finishing your first tri, not to mention working through several frustrating mishaps!
2005-07-06 9:05 PM
in reply to: #188977

User image

Elite
Texas

Wow those are great splits for all three events. Way to go!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pardeeville Triathlon Rss Feed