Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Visiting Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-06 6:56 AM

Master
STL
Subject: Visiting
I will be visiting Ontario with my family in June. We are coming in from Detroit (driving from St. Louis, MO) and won't be heading too far into Ontario...looking for good, outdoorsy, inexpensive ways to experience Canada.

Also probably going to camp while we are there.

Any suggestions? 

2011-02-06 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3341251

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Visiting
So much depends on how long you plan on spending in Ontario, how much driving you want to do and what types of things you want to experience.  Assuming your entry point is Windsor you could go north towards Grand Bend.  Lots of little quaint towns, camp in provincial parks such as Pinery where you can go for hikes or hang out on the beach (June might be a little cool).  Continue north to Tobermory - take the boat over the underwater wrecks, hike/camp on Flowerpot Island etc.   Make your way to Blue Mountain with the scenic caves etc, down to Toronto for a big city experience and maybe a detour to Niagara Falls.  Follow Lake Erie back - lunch in Port Dover, visit the Long Point Region bird spit and then make your way back home... 

Just a suggestion
2011-02-06 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
If you are staying down this way - Point Pelee Provincial park is about a 1/2 hour into Ontario and quite pretty.  You can also do winery tours in that area.  Camping locally (within an hour of Detroit) there is Rondeau Provincial Park but it's decidedly average in terms of parks. 

Kimmax is right - Grand Bend is beautiful but it's a bit of a drive.  The Pinery is quite nice and it would probably be worth your while to head up that way.  Other than fields and farming - there isn't much too close to Detroit.

2011-02-06 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3341300

User image

Expert
Silver_wlf - 2011-02-06 9:09 AM If you are staying down this way - Point Pelee Provincial park is about a 1/2 hour into Ontario and quite pretty.  You can also do winery tours in that area.  Camping locally (within an hour of Detroit) there is Rondeau Provincial Park but it's decidedly average in terms of parks. 

Kimmax is right - Grand Bend is beautiful but it's a bit of a drive.  The Pinery is quite nice and it would probably be worth your while to head up that way.  Other than fields and farming - there isn't much too close to Detroit.

If you visit Grand Bend, it will be much better to enter Canada at Port Huron, much faster to get through to sarnia on the US side.
2011-02-07 12:56 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
As someone already mentioned, Point Pele Provincial Park is a good choice for camping. Book early as good spots sell out. https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/

Depending on when exactly you're here you could try one of our famed Ontario Triathlons. The Woodstock Tri weekend is June 11/12. Woodstock is about 2.5hrs. west of Detroit.   
http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/index.cfm

If you enjoy the arts and beautiful small towns,  I recomend a visit to Stratford, On (just north of Woodstock). Stratford is a beautiful town that has been hosting sheakesperian festivals each summer for as long as I can remember. There are all types of plays in addition to Shakespeare, with many being held in the open. http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/onstage/plays.aspx  p.s. If you have pre-teen girls, they'll be happy to know that Stratford is the home town of Justin Beiber - apparently he still lives there with his mom.

Here's hoping you have a great summer in Ontario.

Edited by mgalanter 2011-02-07 12:56 AM
2011-02-07 9:51 AM

Master
STL
Thanks for the tips! 

2011-02-07 12:34 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Already some good tips.

As a fan of the Bruce Pennisula and Tobermory. (Used to spend a lot of my summers up there) If you truely appreciate the out doors, Hiking, Camping and nature and want some beautiful places. GO TO TOBERMORY. You are talking 5 hours from Windsor/Detroit but it is WELL worth it.

http://www.thebrucepeninsula.com/

Only thing I will say is STAY FAR AWAY from Tobermory Village Campground and use any of the other ones. They are horrible people and do not treat people properly. Even the village of Tobermory wants them out of there. New owners that took over a few years ago and are creating issues. IE kicking people out in the middle of the night at random. But anywhere else up there is just GREAT.

Some of my pictures of the Bruce Pennisula area. (including me 50 lbs heavier.) I just love it up there. I wish I spent more time up there like I used to.

Me about 300 feet up on top the Escarpement

A little further down the trail from the shot above looking towards Tobermory.

Opening onto Georgian Bay on a Beautiful 1.5 hour loop hike from the visitors center in Tobermory

Tobermory Sunsets are amazing. I can't find the good ones while I am work. But here is a so so one.

Edited by Techdiver 2011-02-07 12:42 PM
2011-02-27 3:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-02 6:29 AM
in reply to: #3374476

Expert
Bopper - 2011-02-27 4:48 PM

goobergirl98 - 2011-02-06 7:56 AM I will be visiting Ontario with my family in June. We are coming in from Detroit (driving from St. Louis, MO) and won't be heading too far into Ontario...looking for good, outdoorsy, inexpensive ways to experience Canada.

Also probably going to camp while we are there.

Any suggestions? 

I agree with everyone so far. As you didn't say how far into the Province, or how long you're going to be here, it's pretty limited in the choices.

For camping... #1 choice would be The Pinery Provincial Park. The water may be a little cold in June, but it's still a beautiful park. Many hiking and cycling trails, as well as canoe/kayak rentals. #2 choice ... and I've never been there, but do know it's lovely... Point Pelee Provicial Park. Longest fresh water boardwalk in North America, lots of birds and butterflies.

For outdoorsy things to do... the Triathlon in Woodstock would be good. Not a lot to see while there though... Stratford is close however with the theatre and beautiful dining experiences. Lots of fishing opportunities on the Great Lakes or river systems... if you're into that. I would HIGHLY agree with Techdiver... the Bruce Penninsula is a MUST see. Those pictures he posted are a tip of the iceburg. If you don't have the 5 hours to drive up to Tobermory, Lions Head (4.5 hours), Wiarton (4 hours), or Owen Sound (3.5 hours) are also beautiful, with many hiking opportunities on the Bruce Trail. In fact anywhere along the Bruce Trail (stretches 700 km from Queenston-Niagara River to Tobermory) is wonderful FREE hiking, unless you stop at a conservation area which charges access fees. The entire Niagara Escarpment is a UNESCO nature site... and we try to explore new areas every year.

We hope you have a lovely time in our fair Province... and understand that this is only a very small portion of the country. Much of South-Western Ontario is similar to the USofA, but if you're willing to travel a little, you get a feeling for some of the unspoiled country that we call home.

Bon voyage!

are you kidding me???  there is lots to do it Woodstock.  Like go see Betsy our statue of a Cow...  okay, I'm running out of ideas.  Not much in Woodstock after all . There are quite a few triathletes around there area though.  And some good running and biking paths.  If spending a few days in SW ontario, St. Jacob's would be a good place to check out too.
2011-03-02 1:01 PM

Master
Rural Ontario

I just want to bring up another idea that hasn't been metioned but I think is worth considering.
If you can drive 4hrs. then I recommend visiting Toronto. It really is a world class city - 4th Largerst metropolitain area in North America (after Mexico City, NY & LA), its vibrant, safe and friendly.  On the way back you could swing back into the US through Niagara Falls.

2011-03-02 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3378602

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Visiting Rss Feed