Buffalo Days
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 23s
Overall Rank = 273/374
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was wide awake at 5:30 am, so I got up and read People magazines in the hotel room's bathroom as not to disturb the fiance and kids. :) I ate a granola bar and drank water while reading, until I finally woke everyone up at 6:45. I got to the race pretty early (7:15 for a 9:00 start) and got a good transition spot. I basically did the check-in, body-marking, transition set-up thing, and then just walked around watching and learning until the pre-race meeting at 8:30.
Event warmup:

After the meeting, I got in the water and swam a bit, but not much, maybe 150 yds. I also stretched my legs a bit.
Swim
  • 07m 23s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was so surprised that this ended up being the most unpleasant leg of the three. This was the one I was least worried about when training! First of all, the water was pretty cold. My body wasn't that cold, but I couldn't catch my breath for anything. Worse, though, was the giant mouth/lungs full of water I took in about 100 yards into the race. I honestly didn't know if I was going to be able to recover for a couple seconds. I don't think I've ever inhaled that much water in my life, no joke. I took a few seconds to regroup and calm down and kept going. That was a very long 1/4 mile. The one thing that was good, is that apparently I am pretty good at swimming in a straight line. Every time I sighted, I was right on course.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up more in the water. I had a terrible time getting my face in the water because it was cold, and I could not catch my breath during the race. I was in the first wave for this race (since I was the third person to register out of 437!), so it would have been easy to stay warm. Turns out I had the 94th fastest swim split, so respectable for a newbie.
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

T1 went well, even though I was much more tired than expected coming out of the water. I got to my bike while starting to peel off my wetsuit, immediately sat down to get it over my feet and put my shoes and socks on, and then stood up to put on my helmet and sunglasses. Trotted with the bike out of transition and got going!

Nothing really, it went pretty well. I didn't need the bottles of water to rinse off my feet, nor my large towel. I just used a hand towel to wipe off my feet quickly before putting my socks on. I probably should've drank some Accelerade, but I was *plenty* hydrated from my "drink" during the swim!
Bike
  • 36m 33s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.42 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a good ride for me! I was getting passed left and right, but didn't care too much, really. I kept the rpm's around 90 and made much better time than I thought I would. It was a gorgeous day, and a very nice ride. I could've done without some of the hills in the beginning, but it was a good test. I managed to successfully take some drinks while riding without crashing. :)

Test my bike after getting it tuned!! I had it tuned up the day before, but didn't ride it until the race, when I discovered that the front brake was rubbing! Nice! That always helps! Honestly, I'm sure it didn't really affect my time all that much, but it was really annoying hearing that constant noise! Next time, I'll try to eat a Gu during the bike sometime to help with the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

T2 was also pretty uneventul. I didn't have to change shoes, so it was pretty quick. I racked my bike, took off my helmet, took a swig of Accelerade, put on my visor, and I was off!

Eat a Gu. I was dragging for most of the run, I suspect it might have helped.
Run
  • 32m 54s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I was getting pretty dang tired by this time, and the hills didn't help. I did ok, though. The hardest part of the run was right after the turn around. Althouh it was nice to have a nice, long downslope going into the turnaround, of course that meant we had to run back up it right away. That was tough. I had to start singing one of my running songs in my head and tell myself that if I made it up this long hill, I'd be home free because this was the longest hill on the course.

As mentioned before, a gu might have helped with the energy level. It was actually an ok run for me, though not great. I am very slow, and the fact that I just keep going was good enough for me! The finish was great of course, with the announcer making a big deal out of those of us doing our first races!
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a bit, drank a whole bunch of water, had a banana, took pictures with the kids and family. I probably should have stretched more, but oh well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Water sloshing around in my stomach during the swim gave me a side cramp. I should've drank more Accelerade during the bike leg. And, my general extreme slowness in running! I desperately need to work on speed at some point!

Event comments:

For being a brand new race, this was very well done! Bravo to the race committee! There were plenty of volunteers, the course was well marked, and I simply can't say enough about the traffic control during the bike and run--it was excellent! They estimated that about 150 of the 437 registrants (although only 374 actually raced) were first timers, so that made for a cool atmosphere, especially since the announcer kept saying how great that was, and how much we were all going to love it. It was really a great first time race! (Next year, they plan to add an Olympic course, and move it to a warmer lake. Good idea!!)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:23 | 440 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/374
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Course was almost a triangle shape with a beach start. It was well marked and there was no confusion about where to go. Lots of lifeguards.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:33 | 10 miles | 16.42 mile/hr
Overall: 252/374
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Good course. Hilly for the first half, but pretty flat for the second half. It wound through some neighborhoods, which was nice. There were more spectators than I expected!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:54 | 03 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 340/374
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course along the same road as the start of the bike course. Therefore, it was hilly. Ack!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-03-10 12:00 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Buffalo Triathlon

2004-06-07 11:40 AM
in reply to: #19569

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Shamelessly bumping this up since I actually finished! :-)
2004-06-07 12:17 PM
in reply to: #29748

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-07 12:28 PM

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon
Way to go, Kelly!!

I hope you are pleased with your time (you should be!) and with your first race! Savor the moment!!

Dana L
2004-06-07 12:44 PM

congratulations on your first tri! What do you use on your bike, toe cages? Just wondering what I will do. I want to use the same shoes, like you did.
2004-06-07 3:47 PM
in reply to: #29762

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Shamelessly bumping this up since I actually finished! :-)
Thanks! The swim was veeery cold, and no pics yet! Didn't have time to download them off the camera last night, but I'm going to try to do it tonight.

2004-06-07 3:48 PM
in reply to: #29773

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Thanks! Yes, I have the toe cage/clip things on my pedals, so I just keep the same shoes on to run. I'd like to get the cool clipless pedals some day, but probably not this year. Good luck to you!

Kelly
2004-06-07 4:24 PM

Nice race Kelly -- and good times I'd say. I probably should experiment with GU as I seem to run out of fuel in the run leg as well. Your race looks solid.
2004-06-07 10:40 PM

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Great job Kelly! I'm envious of you...I still have 12 more days to wait until my first race. You had a race to be proud of and you'll always remember it. Keep up the good work!
2004-06-08 7:56 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Well Done Kelly!!!
Even though I wasn't there in body I was there cheering you on in spirit.

Ian
2004-06-08 12:11 PM

Champion
Gold member
grat race!  the atmosphere sounds electric...what fun!

2004-06-08 7:58 PM

Jefferson City, TN
Ain't it great to set a goal and then achieve it? Good job.
2004-06-10 10:32 AM

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Added a couple pics, although they're not great quality! *nt*
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon Rss Feed