BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-04-07 4:19 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now. 

NAME: Baowolf/ Steve

STORY:  When I was a youngin I loved to swim, waterskii, windsurf, surf, rollerskate/blade, wrestle, fish, skateboard, cross country ski, downhill ski, you know the fun stuff.  Then I grew up, spent 12 years collecting degrees, BA, MA, Ph.D., another MA, and acquiring credentials and pounds as I did not have time to exercize and study and work while raising a family and doing 8 to 48 hours shifts at work.  Then one day I woke up sitting under a tree and realized I was  40 years old, weighed 180 pounds, had a house, a wife, 5 children a job and lived in the middle of nowhere with no athletic facilities whatsoever.  Yes 100 miles to the nearst McDonolds or stoplight.  I said to myself, hrm not only am I out of shape, but I have achieved many of my goals and need some new ones.  So after a bit of research and finding my way to BT I decided that traithlon was an individual sport that I wanted to do.  I would never master all 3 sports and could lose weight and go on adventures, so I signed up, with no history of real swimming, biking or running.  My fitness level was such that I could jog 1 mile at a 10:30 pace, bike on my K-Mart mountain bike 4 miles at 12 mph and well I didn't actually know how to do freestyle.  Short story long, I am now 40 pounds lighter, have lost nearly 10 inches off my waist, have now completed 2 IM's 2 open marathons (well nearly all the standard distance tris and run races) and will be doing the Boston Marathon in 2 weeks and a 3rd IM distance Tri, Vineman at the end of July.         

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married for 21 years to my very supportive wife who just completed her first triathlon last fall and have 5 children ranging from Kindergarten to College.   

CURRENT TRAINING:  I am currently run focused (SBR 2x3x5) with Boston coming up, but will then return to something a little more balanced SBR 3x4(5)x4(5) or something resembling that after the marathon.  I belive in building a strong base and only adding in speedwork once your body is ready for it, to minimize injury.  At 44 I can't just charge off like a bull anymore, but have to be a little more systematic in my training.  In general I prefer the longer events, IM, Mary, but also will run a 5k or sprint.  A typical workout week is 12 to 20 hours depending on where I am in the season.      

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2010 I completed the Redding Marathon (3:19:xx), NorCal 10 miler (1:12:xx) , tore a calf muscle 8(, did IM CDA 12 hours and change, and broke my collar bone doing the Crater Lake Century ride in August. 

2011 RACES: Recoverying from the broken colarbone I am a bit behind on training, but this year I did a 3 mile run (17:58), will run the Boston Marathon in 2 weeks (goal time 3:15:00) and then will build for a Full IM distance tri, Vineman at the end of July.  Depending on how I am feeling I may hit a couple of sprints, a 4 mile race and a 30k trail run.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since I started training for triathlons in 2007 I have lost 40 pounds and am now at 140.  My ideal race weight is between 135 and 140 (10% body fat).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been actively involved on BT since 2007, have competed in Sprint, Oly, HIM and IM distance tris as well as running events that include 5k, 10 miler, half mary, 30k trail and full marathon.  I have struggled with calf pulls, swimmers shoulder, broken collar bone, shin splints and have learned something about how to face these challenges.  I check in on BT boards nearly daily and feel that I can provide others with some guidance based on my experience in the sport.  I learned almost everything I know about the sport from the support I have received here and would like to give back to the extent that I can.  Thank you for your consideration.     

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-21 12:05 AM

2011-04-14 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Begiinner Banquet -Open for seating

Anyone wishing to join please put down some personal info:

First name:

How long you have been training for Triathlons:

Family Status (married, single, number of children)

Date of upcoming race and type of race:

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week:

Do you have a weight loss goal:

Are you run/bike or swim focused:

Also, I leave to go compete in the Boston Marathon on Saturday, so I will be offline  a few days.  No worries I will be back on Tuesday.

2011-04-15 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Steve,

Please count me in, that is if you're not too tired of me already .

First name: Carol

How long you have been training for Triathlons: did my first sprint in Oct 2009, completed my second on 4/11/2011

Family Status (married, single, number of children): married 23 yrs to my best friend.  5 furkids (4 dogs, one cat).

Date of upcoming race and type of race: next on is 5/15/11 -- 1/2 mile swim (first open water), 16.1 mile bike, 3.1 run.  Would like to do 2 or 3 more sprints this summer, and an olympic distance on 9/25.

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: Doing 16 miles/3500 yards/40 miles. 

Do you have a weight loss goal: Yes, have lost 12 lbs since mid Dec 2010 (148 down to 136), looking to lose another 6  to get to 130, and then see if I want to go for any more at that point.

Are you run/bike or swim focused:  I think I need the most improvement on the bike, then the run, then the swim (since it's relatively short).  But I gravitate more towards running (simplicity) and swimming (recovery).

I made up a training plan to hopefully get me to the 5/15 sprint.  Would love to get your input on it, and thoughts on what to do beyond that.

Good luck, and have a blast in Boston!

2011-04-15 9:57 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Open for seating

Carol, your table is waiting for you, welcome.  It looks like you are building a solid base for training.  I too will become Bike focused after Monday.  I can go far, just not so fast.  I am afraid it will take the focus I have put into running to get the bike faster by a couple mph over the long distance. 

Do any of your furry friends run with you?  My dog is good for about 2-3 miles and then he heads for home.  He is at best ambivilent about running with me, but he enjoys running with my wife as she tends to do shorter runs.  Often when I put on my running shoes he hides under her desk and shakes. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-15 9:59 AM
2011-04-15 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran

First name: My name is Samantha,  I am 34 and I would love to join this group!

How long you have been training for Triathlons: This is the first year I will train and participate in a triathlon.

Family Status (married, single, number of children): I am single with no children.

Date of upcoming race and type of race: I am signed up for a sprint tri on July 24th.

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: I am not sure what my base is since I am a beginner, but I have a sprint tri plan I will be starting in a week. I am currently biking and walking fast a couple times per week to prepare to start training.

Do you have a weight loss goal: I would love to lose 20 pounds, but it is not much of a priority because I know it will come with training well and eating well. More importantly I want to be faithful to my plan so I am ready to race with confidence.

Are you run/bike or swim focused: I will focus more on running because it is my weakest area. I struggle with endurance over-all. I was a couch potato who smoked a pack a day for most of my young life, then I was introduced to backpacking and mountain biking and they inspired me to begin pursuing physical fitness. I have not smoked in 4 years and my health has increased, so now I am ready to step it up and pursue a more significant goal. I really long to build my endurance to achieve my goal of completing an IM.

I am excited to be a part of a group so I can listen to what others are doing and be encouraged by their success and growth. Plus I love encouraging other people in what they are doing. I get more excited about the success and perseverance of others than I do about my own successes. I am hard on myself and look forward to hearing other perspectives and being challenged. With that said, Steve, I am really excited to hear about your experience at the Boston. What an awesome race to participate in. I noticed your time goal - whoa! I hope you met that goal because that would be crazy cool!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to continuing to learn, listen and encourage!

2011-04-15 4:56 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Samantha, your table is waiting for you, welcome.  I completely understand where you are starting from, I have walked in those shoes.  When I started I had no run, bike or swim background and was hard pressed for my 1 mile jog at a 10:30 to 11:00 minute per mile pace in 2007 and now I am going to Boston, reality still hasn't sunken in about that one.  And swim.... is still my weakness, but when I did my first sprint tri I did breastroke and it took me weeks to be able to swim 25 yards freestyle without drinking half the pool.   

So it will be really helpful for you to post your workouts on BT under "Training Logs" so I can check in on how you are progressing.  When my wife first started back at it she would walk 5 minutes jog 30 seconds walk 5 minutes to build up to jogging longer and then the next week it would be jogging 1 minute walk 5.  The really hard thing about just starting out is being patient with the training.  To prepare yourself to do an Ironman I would allow for a minimum of 2 years.  My first sprint tri was 12/07 and my first IM was 8/09.  I trained without a break for that entire time.  Setting shorter goals all builds up.  The first trick is establishing a routine.  I am not sure which plan you are doing, but count on at least 3 runs, 3 bikes and 2 swims per week.  These are typically broken up into short, medium and long (or short, long).  

The really important part for now is to start off slowly and build slowly.  As we are talking years, we are talking a lifestyle change.  I am very excited to have you on board, if you need any help figuring out how to put in your workouts just post here and I can try to help.  You can click on a person's name like mine and look at their recent workouts. 

A really good way to stay in touch with folks is to look at their log and inspire them or reply to one of their inspires of you.  It is a great feature for making a person's day.  The challenge forums are also a great way to set goals and have your team keep you honest about your workouts. 

2011-04-15 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

Hey Steve and the group!  I am a follow over from Jenny's group so hopefully I know a few of you but here ya go anyways.

My name is Marcus and I am a 26 year old college student going to school full-time at the University of Minnesota.  I have no kids or significant other in my life currently so along with that and my job only requiring one weekend a month I plan on putting as much time as is needed into training.  In my previous life before I came back to Minnesota I was an aircraft maintainer in the Air Force which really helped me with my traveling itch but not so much with my physical fitness.  I am into anything involving aviation, photography and traveling along with rock climbing, touring cycling, soccer and downhill skiing.

I am an active person just not active enough to offset my eating habits.  So one of my goals out of training for these triathlons is to have fun, increase my fitness, hopefully adopt triathlons as a permanent part of my life, meet new people and finally changing my eating and exercise habits to lose weight.  The losing weight part is last in my book, it will happen and I am not going to make any drastic changes, just slow ones I can adopt for the long term.  I am currently gym bound because of our awesome weather in Minnesota so treadmills, stationary bikes and indoor pools will be my life for the foreseeable future.  Swimming is my biggest weakness, I am good at snorkeling, SCUBA and treading water but I don't have any formal training in freestyle.  Other than that I am just looking at increasing my pace for running and the bike leg.

This will be my first season for triathlons and hopefully a productive one.  These are the races that I have pretty much decided on doing and I will add some in later as I see fit.  I am working towards sprint races in the spring/summer and hopefully an olympic length by fall.

• Buffalo Tri (sprint) in Buffalo, Minnesota on June 6th
  • North Mankato Tri (sprint) in Mankato, Minnesota on June 26th
  • St. Paul Tri (olympic) in St. Paul, Minnesota on August 21st
  • Young Life Fall Classic Duathlon in Lake Elmo, Minnesota on September 17th

I am looking at getting a into a tri in Arizona later in the year and maybe even one in Washington state but we will see where the year takes me.

I can't wait to get into this group, meet some people and gain some knowledge!

2011-04-16 12:02 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Welcome Marcus.  I am off to bed, to Boston for the marathon early in the morning.  Talk amongst yourselves I will be back online come Tuesday.  Others feel free to join in we have room. 
2011-04-16 12:30 AM
in reply to: #3449758

User image

Veteran

Go Boston!

Hello to Carol and Marcus. You already know who I am and I know a bit about you as well. I am looking forward to journeying with all of you in our pursuit of challenge, health and fun.

I logged my workout and nutrition for the day. It was challenging to find all the correct food measurements and I am pretty sure I didn't get them all correct, but it is good to see it all on screen. It is challenging and encouraging to see it all on screen and realize what I have actually done.

I am still trying to figure out how everything works, so if you see I haven't made something visible or you have other suggestions please let me know.

Good-night

2011-04-16 1:23 AM

User image

Colorado

Can I join everyone?

First name:  Lisa

How long you have been training for Triathlons: I've been a runner for 10 years but am just starting tri training.

Family Status (married, single, number of children):  Married with two daughters, ages 13 months (as of April) and 6 years.  Happily, I'm equipped with both a single and double jogger and a single and double bike trailer currently or I'd be in trouble.  (I never thought I'd need the double version of either, but my oldest isn't quite ready to bike alongside as I run or to be on a trail-a-bike when we ride.)

Date of upcoming race and type of race: 

• Bolder Boulder 10K, May 30 (yes, not a tri, but my priority for the next few weeks because I'm looking to finish in under 55 minutes for the first time.)
  • Lookout Mountain sprint Tri, July 23

FWIW, I've completed two 10-mile races this year and just did a half-marathon last weekend, finishing in 1:57:38.  Sorry, proud of my sub-2 time and had to brag a little.  I know it's not fast for most, but it's fast for me!  Laughing

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week:  My base run distance has been about 22 miles a week, give or take lately.  I haven't been swimming at all, and I've been trying to bike at least 6 miles a week though that hasn't always happened due to weather or other issues.  Now that I have the double trailer and we're into April, that number should start climbing quickly, not least because I like to bike as many errands as possible.

Do you have a weight loss goal:  No.

Are you run/bike or swim focused:  My strengths are running, and to a lesser extent, biking.  The real trick with biking is that most of what I've done is commuter stuff pulling the kids, and I'll be doing a tri on a hybrid/commuter-type bike as well.  I'm a little nervous about the route because it's in the mountains (in Colorado), though from what I've seen and heard it's mostly around the top of a mountain and shouldn't require a lot of crazy climbing.  Still, I'm feeling a little like a poser.  Swimming is my weakness but I'm hoping once I join a gym and start swimming regularly that it won't be that big of a deal.  I probably won't start any swimming until May when the semester ends though, because with my teaching schedule and doing drop-off and pick-up for my oldest in half-day kindergarten, it's already difficult to fit in running and biking.  (At least I can do school pick-up with a jogger or bike trailer, but swimming doesn't have that advantage!)

Good luck in Boston!

2011-04-16 9:44 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Welcome to the group Lisa.  I am glad that you started logging your workouts so I can keep tabs on your progress.  I see that you have a HR monitor and that your Half mary had an average HR of 165 with a max in the high 170s.  Do you do workouts by HR or just keep track?  It looks like z1 and z2 runs in addition to your Half mary.   There are no posers in triathlon, just folks trying to figure it all out.  And there is a ton to figure out.  But it is a lot of fun learning. 

The last half I ran was 1:52:xx, but that was a while ago.  To qualify for Boston I had to run a sub 3:20:00 marathon.  I have gotten a lot faster by upping my miles per week.  Do you do any speedwork, 400, 800, mile repeats hills, or are most of your runs z2? 

Others feel free to join and discuss I'll be back Tuesday.  

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-16 9:48 AM

2011-04-16 11:08 AM

Hi, I'd love to join your group if there's still room!I'm 35 and live in northern california with my partner and our three cats. I started running about 2 years ago and have completed several half and full marathons.I'm signed up for my first tri on July 31st - a sprint tri with 1/2 mile swim, 15 mile bike and 5k run. I'm alternating between being wildly excited and absolutely terrified!Kate
2011-04-16 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3450083

User image

Veteran

Hi Kate!

Welcome to the group. I am excited to hear you are running your first triathlon as well. I can relate to feeling excited and terrified, so I think we can be an encouragement to each other.

Samantha

2011-04-16 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3449802

User image

Veteran

Hi Lisa!

Glad you joined the group. You have great experience and can share that with the rest of us. Plus, I don't think it is bragging to share your success. Excellent job!

My weakness is running. I am going at it differently than I have in the past. I am doing jog/walk to build up to being able to jog for an entire length of time. The only race I have participated in so far was a 5K. I was able to do it in 33 minutes, which coming from a non-running/non-exercising background I was pretty proud of myself. Anyway, I look forward to sharing the journey with you!

Samantha

2011-04-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3447794

User image

Sacramento, CA

First name:  Hi everyone - I am Cheri - hoping I can join this group - I am new to the sport and have lots of the typical newbie questions!

How long you have been training for Triathlons: I have been training for 8 weeks!  Doing pretty well - I have been doing high intensity strnegth and conditioning recently!

Family Status (married, single, number of children) Married for 11 years and we have 2 kids 6 and 9!

Date of upcoming race and type of race:  May 1 - Napa Valley sprint and June 12 - Oly...maybe another Oly in Spet and Oct!

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week:  Here are my last two week!

April 4th

off

35-Swim

35-Run

46-Swim

46-Run

58-Swim

58-Run

9h 19m

Strength

70-Bike

Strength

94-Bike

Strength

117-Bike

559m

April 11

off

21-Swim

21-Run

28-Swim

28-Run

35-Swim

35-Run

5h 36m

Strength

42-Bike

Strength

56-Bike

Strength

70-Bike

336m

Do you have a weight loss goal:  Yes!  25 lbs!

Are you run/bike or swim focused: Run focused...I think this means what is the area you need to develop and for me it is definately the runs!

Also, I leave to go compete in the Boston Marathon on Saturday, so I will be offline  a few days.  No worries I will be back on Tuesday.  Whoop Whoop!  Have a great race.  I have a friend that is racing the BM too.  BTW - You are fast!!!

Can't wait to meet everyone!Smile

2011-04-16 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3450000

User image

Colorado

Do you do workouts by HR or just keep track?

I usually just keep track.  I've thought about doing HR training specifically, but I've also noticed that I can do an easy run and my HR still seems to be higher than what it's supposed to be for an easy run.  I chalk it up to having a lot of hills in Colorado. 

I have gotten a lot faster by upping my miles per week.  Do you do any speedwork, 400, 800, mile repeats hills, or are most of your runs z2?

I've noticed that too:  more miles = faster times for me.  The real trick is fitting it all in.

Anyhow, I do speedwork once a week:  either a tempo or intervals.  I didn't do any this week because I spent the first few days being super-sore from Sunday's 1/2, largely due to the killer headwind from mile 6 on.  So, I took a few days off and then did some easy runs this week.  Also, I usually end up doing my speedwork with a jogging stroller (fun!), so I have to be pretty imaginative and flexible.  A number of my recent tempos were done by combining it with school pick-up.  I'd run 2/3rds of the tempo with only one kid in the jogger on the way to school (a route that includes some hills but more downhill stretches) and try to run a little faster so that when I'm coming home (two kids, mostly uphill stretches) the numbers would work.  And when they didn't, well, at least I ran hard and that counted for something.  :p

Next week my plan is to do hill repeats one day and speedwork another.  The Bolder Boulder course is decently hilly so I want to be fully ready.  If nothing else, it really helps that most of the time I'm pushing one or two kids in a jogger up the hill, and that my house is on top of a ridge so I never get to finish a run without a hill climb. 

Hi Samantha!  I bet as you keep running you'll see your endurance improve fairly quickly.

2011-04-17 9:01 AM

New user

Hey!!!  I'd like to join!!

First name: Dawn

How long you have been training for Triathlons: First timer!!

Family Status (married, single, number of children) Married with 4 kids ages 5-12

Date of upcoming race and type of race: May 1: 5K, June 5: 5K, June 12: Warrior Dash, July 9: First Tri(.25 mile swim followed by a 10.2 mile bike, ending with a 3.2 mike run.)

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: Run 15-20 miles week,  Really need to start biking and have no place to swim till June.

Do you have a weight loss goal: No

Are you run/bike or swim focused: I guess since I only run I would be run focused but I am scared to death of the swim so once June comes along I will be swim focused!!

I turned 40 last August and decided I was going to stop being scared to go out and doing things I wanted too.  So I started small and ran a few 5K races and was hooked on racing (I'm not the person who goes out to win I go out for the experience) then I did my first 1/2 (Disney Princess), I'm signed up for the Warrior Dash in PA and now it's time to try a tri!!  Not only am I expanding my experiences I'm setting a great example for my kids.  They all love running, and my 10 year old is competing in his first biathlon in June!  (my husband unfortunately would rather poke his eyes out!!  But he is very supportive!!  And even surprised me with my first road bike!)  I have to be honest, I am scared to death about doing a tri!!!

Dawn

2011-04-18 12:53 AM

User image

Colorado

Dawn--the tri scares me too.  I think once I get some training in we'll feel better. 

Steve--sending out one more huge "good luck" and "you will rock this" for Boston!

2011-04-18 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Yep, go Steve!!! Guess you are running in Boston right now .

Just wanted to say hi to all my fellow groupies!

Samantha - congrats on stopping smoking and adopting a healthier lifestyle!  Sounds like you are ready for the next step. 

Marcus - good to see you here!  Looks like you are doing about 1 tri/month this summer w/ an olympic towards the end.  That's what I'm aiming for too.  BTW - Thanks for serving!

Lisa - great job on your 1/2, and yes you should share and enjoy it!  I do have to admit I'm jealous of where you live, though

Kate - I love your description of being wildly excited and terrified at the same time.  I think that's how we all are leading up to the first one, or the next distance.  Makes us feel alive though I think.

Cheri - nice training over the last 8 weeks for you!  Your May 1st tri is fast approaching.  I'm in it for some weight loss too, and this triathlon thing does seem to be helping, both physically and mentally with that.

Dawn - I'm with you on just going for things at this stage of life.  I mean, what the heck are we waiting for anyway?!  I'm 44, and finally decided to stop holding myself back from doing the best I can.  I was scared of the swim at first too....and would not even put my head in the water at first.  If I can do it, you can too!

More later, gotta run!

2011-04-18 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ

First name: Ceril - 39 years old - my new mantra is "fit by 40!" I'm a total newbie but -  would love to join here if there's still room!

How long you have been training for Triathlons: 9 weeks ago I was still a couch potato!  I accepted a challenge from a friend to join the gym's "biggest loser" 5 week challenge that ended on 4/1 and I'm trying to ride that momentum into the next challenge: an in-gym sprint tri.  I was never a big fan of exercise just for the sake of exercise - it bored me to death.  I guess I'm just competitive at heart and the thought of a challenge, like a tri, has totally taken over.

Family Status (married, single, number of children): Married to my hubby of 14 years and 2 kids ages 12 and 9 who are really happy that I'm getting off the couch!  They are already making plans for my summer training - I suddenly realized that we camp in a couple places where others practice their OWS.

Date of upcoming race and type of race: In-gym sprint tri (.5mi swim, 23mi bike, 3.1mi run) on 5/13. Also doing a "half way there!" race this friday (.25mi/12mi/1.5mi).  My goal, however, is to continue training for a "real" tri for late in the season or even next year - to celebrate my 40th!

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: Haha - well I'm a newbie so I've been doing quick walks - about 6-9mi/week, taking a swim class twice a week - about 1000-1500m/week and it's been ROUGH!!, and an hour spin class 2 to 3 times a week - also taking an hour strength training class weekly.  My family and friends are in shock as I'm usually the one to opt out of any strenuous activity!

Do you have a weight loss goal: I didn't have one when I started originally - but to add to my "fit by 40!" mantra - I was hoping to lose 40 by 40 as well - I'm pretty out of shape - at a dimunitive 5'2" I weighed in at 188lbs at the start and I've lost about 10 lbs in the last 9 weeks but according to the measurements on my last nurse's visit at the gym - I've also gained 15 lbs of lean muscle.  I've always been a bit "broader" or "big boned" so I don't think that a goal of 148 is overkill - but - this isn't actually my main focus.

Are you run/bike or swim focused: Right now I'm mainly swim focused - I feel like I'm just learning how to really swim for the first time and the breathing has me stumped - after working on it for the last 3 weeks - I can finally get in a smooth 25m before losing my focus.  I've never been a runner - so that is my next challenge - I've been trying to include a 3 mile walk after every hour long spin class and I've been upping my speed little by little (and I mean tiny!)  I've been getting foot cramps that seem to get better after a good stretch after the first 15 min. And as far as biking - I only own a mountain bike at this point and I'm mainly relying on spin class for training.

OK - I'm about as newbie as you can get!!  I don't know why I signed up for the in-gym tri at the gym when #1-I can't really swim and #2 I can't really run - but I guess I like impossible challenges!  I wanted to sign up here so that after the in-gym tri, I don't give up and I keep this momentum going.

2011-04-18 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3452468

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

Best of luck Baowolf on your Boston run!!!

Thanks for the support Squirt!  Its good to see you in this group too.

Samantha, Lisa, Kate, Cheri, Dawn and Ceril welcome to the group!  I hope this is a productive and informative place for everyone... Oh yeah and inspirational!  I think we all need that little push to get out the door in the morning occasionally Wink

On another note I am feeling slightly outnumbered here, I hope I can keep up with all you ladies! Laughing

Marcus

2011-04-18 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran

Good Monday Morning to everyone, and Steve I hope Boston was the best. I look forward to hearing how it went and how you did!

Ceril, I am so glad you joined this group. I am not that far ahead of you and am doing my first tri this summer. I totally relate to feeling the challenge to push myself and change my lifestyle, but you are giving yourself a year to reach your goals and that is pretty appropriate. As I understand it, one pound per week is the healthiest way to lose weight, so you have plenty of time to accomplish that. (Wait, when do you turn 40Laughing). Anyway, I am excited to encourage you on your journey.

I did not get as much sleep last night as I wanted, so it was hard to get up this morning. But I did and my workout ended up being good. I am really working on patience with myself as I realize how easy it is too push myself too far too fast, so I slowed my jog pace down just a bit and that turned out to be a good decision.

Using the nutrition part of this website is revealing and challenging. Though I am not sure all the calorie counts are totally accurate it is still revealing to see how much I am eating. Do any of you have thoughts on the best way to eat while training? I have heard lots of opinions and am interested in your perspectives.

Also, I have been trying to figure out how to use the [inspire] option. Do any of you know the trick.

Samantha

Endurance produces character . . .

2011-04-18 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3452808

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
anthalynn - 2011-04-18 12:47 PM

Also, I have been trying to figure out how to use the [inspire] option. Do any of you know the trick.

If you go to the persons workout log they have an "inspire me" option in the upper right corner of each date... just inspire away!

I had a decent swim and run today after taking some time off and hopefully I can get in a 2hr bike tomorrow!!

Marcus

2011-04-18 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3453374

User image

Veteran

Thank you. However, I have tried to press the inspire button but nothing happens. I shall try again!

Have a great ride tomorrow!

2011-04-18 5:30 PM

User image

Hi guys! I'd love to join up with you for the spring/summer!

First name: Kenzie

How long you have been training for Triathlons: Just started at the beginning of February.

Family Status (married, single, number of children): Married, one furry child-a Border Collie mix named Lucy. She loves to run but is really more of a sprinter than an endurance runner, especially when it gets hot!

Date of upcoming race and type of race: 5/22 Sprint-Ramblin' Rose in Raleigh, NC and 6/19 Olympic in DC

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: Well....I was doing a great job for a couple months sticking to a 20 week Olympic training plan that I got on this lovely website when I added too much distance/effort and gave myself swimmer's shoulder. I'm also having some leg/calf/shin splint issues that stem from a marathon I did back in 2004. So, in a nutshell I have been doing physical therapy and am hoping to get back into the swing of things (SLOWLY) starting next week.

Do you have a weight loss goal: I'm 5'4 and 141 now, would really just like to feel good, I know losing weight will come with that.

Are you run/bike or swim focused: My run/bike needs more work than my swim. I swam competitively as a kid and have muscle memory left over from that, so swimming is somewhat natural feeling for me. I have a new road bike and have been having lots of fun on it. My running is SLOW and could use the most work out of the three, which is funny since most of my athletic experience is with running.

Excited to be here with everyone-wahooo!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61